denon ah-d2000: Amp v markl mod
May 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 21
You definitely need to do the mod otherwise the bass will be boomy and uncontrolled. Lately I prefer the sound with no fibreloft stuffing in the earpad, much better midrange. The D2000 also benefits a lot from amping as it's a current-hungry can.

The Audio-gd C2C can be had for $335 minus shipping and this will be your best bet at the moment I think. Other options in the similar price range will be the Compass, Peridot, EF1, and the KICAS.

May 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 21
I found the greatest improvement in my D5000s resulted from finding a source and amp that matched them well (e.g. SA8001, XCANv8, Solo SRG, etc.), and, of course ample burn in. Those seemed to resolve all issues with the D5000s.

The mods... helped a small bit... but, not as much as finding the right matching set up, and completing the burn in - unless, of course, you don't have a matching set up, and haven't completed the burn in - then they make a big difference.

Though... that's my experience with the D5000s, the D2000s may benefit a lot more from the mods. But... I'd start with the matching set up - and see whether you really need the mods, after completing the burn in.

May 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 21
So by comparison, how would you rate the X Can V8 to the compass, EF-1, or the C2C? I am trying to run the Denon D7000 to the max, and i want awesome bass, and of course overall sonic accuracy. I listen to a lot of Dance/Electronica. I really dont want to spend over $550-$600. I think i am almost decided on the X Can, given the fact that i have heard nothing but good things about the synergy between the 2. Any thoughts, or other suggestions?

May 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however another member had posted that the Markl mod was not required with the 2000s if you replace the cable so I tried that first and I'm quite pleased.

Wat?

May 24, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfvvax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So by comparison, how would you rate the X Can V8 to the compass, EF-1, or the C2C? I am trying to run the Denon D7000 to the max, and i want awesome bass, and of course overall sonic accuracy. I really dont want to spend over $550-$600. I think i am almost decided on the X Can, given the fact that i have heard nothing but good things about the synergy between the 2. Any thoughts, or other suggestions?

I don't know...

... the XCAN v8 is SUPERB with Denons and other low impedance phones.

The Solo SRG is as well - but, may be priced out of competition in the US with the declining value of the dollar.

I've never heard the others - but, I'd tend to favor amps with US distributors who will take care of warranty issues (if you're in the US). And... I'm leary of the C-2C because it still has a rather high gain for low impedance, sensitive phones.

I'd likely buy the XCAN v8 from Audio Advisors ($450), or Music Direct, or other vendor that will allow you to return it if you don't like it.

May 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wat?

The resulting sound from mod itself is still subject to each individual's preference so what's so surprising? Skylab did prefer his stock D5000 compared to a fully modded and recabled one IIRC and I'm sure many others as well. I myself prefer somewhere in between which resulted in me only doing a partial mod. The D7000 itself probably doesn't need to be modded anymore to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back