Denon AH-D1200 portable over-ear impressions, appreciation, and discussion thread.
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 51
Any more impressions on those? I really like the build quality and comfort as I've checked them at a denon store. I am looking for headphones that can play from playstation 4 controller but also mainly for pc use with e10k. Music, edm, soundtracks, movies. Looking for fun headphone which also sounds good.

For their price, there is m50x, 7506, takstar pro82 (or it's cooler master revision), hyperx cloud(pro80) and many more models, so the competition is stiff

I've owned the Denon D1200 for about a year now and have been most satisfied with them!
I would discribe them as balanced over the entire spectrum with a touch of extra bass. Both sound and design are very comfortable, I wear these headphones for hours straight on work without any fatigue. They might get a little warm around the ears tough.
The resolution and tightness is something to admire in this price range. I use them with a Dragonfly red or a LG V30, in which the D1200 does an excellent job making the difference to the onboard audio of my work PC apparent.

I own both the pro80 and the Shure SRH 840, which are more natural in my opinion. I use those for some music production, while I find the D1200 more suitable to just enjoy the music.
The SRH 840 might be a bit more detailed. The Pro80 is a bit too flat and natural for my taste, but still very capable cans.
I only tried the M50X for a short while, but wasn't impressed with the resolution and detail.

Do note I don't have a lot of over-ear experience, still I can certainly recommend the Denon D1200. At least give them a try :wink:

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #32 of 51
@Pastapipo I recommend buying a headband cover for your Denon D1200 to protect the pleather and add more grip to your head here:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...+cover&qid=1574216914&sr=8-2-fkmr0&th=1&psc=1

Sadly, I still have never heard the D1200, even though I own a Klipsch Heritage HP-3. :wink: However, I still remember the D1001 sounding like a more closed Philips Fidelio L1, and since the L1 and L2 are discontinued and X2 on clearance for the anticipated X3, I recommend the outgoing Philips Fidelio X2HR as a open-back indoor compliment to the D1200, especially at this clearance price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5VHLUG/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #35 of 51
Nov 25, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #36 of 51
I did a short side by side with the SRH 840 and the D1200 and have to admit the Shures are the 'better' of the two. The detail, soundstage and tightness is a step ahead of the D1200. I do think the D1200 are more 'fun' (bit warmer on the midrange (guitars +1) and more subbass for example), but that;s sheer preference.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #37 of 51
Just got these from Fedex today.

I'm not an expert or anything but I've listened to more than 30 or so different headphones in the under $200 category, still not good with the terminology so forgive the descriptions. I have the AT M40x, Sony MDR-1AM2, Mayflower Mod T50rp, Skullcandy Aviator (it was on sale for $20), Topping DX3 Pro, SMSL SP200.

First impressions are...

Build quality is excellent, light weight, earcups are a matte finish, all parts that appear to be metal seem to be metal but its hard to tell. Either way it looks well built and doesn't look like a cheap headphone. There's a crosshatch fabric underneath the headband, the top of the headband and earcups are covered in a very soft pleather, very comfy headphones.

On the Denon site it says its 24 ohms, 100 db/mw sensitivity but maybe they changed the specs as it looks different from the model previously posted. Need an amp for these headphones, maxed out the volume on my LG V50 and it was still too low. Shanling UP4 and BTR5 are more than capable of driving these.

The set I received appear to be a different version build than the ones posted earlier in this thread, maybe a newer replacement?

These are on the bassy side. Bass is slightly boomy but still well mannered, doesn't have much impact or sub bass, a bit of creep into the mids, not as bad as a Sony MDR1AM2 tho. Mids have good detail, soundstage is above average I'd say, about halfway between a modded T50rp and M40x. Highs have decent detail, I'd say average, but they have a slight veil in the higher frequencies.

The bad...

Comes with 2 cables, 2.5mm male to 3.5mm male. Both cables are the same length, one with mic and one no mic (why?). The cables are really crappy, super thin and microphonic and the 2.5mm jack on the headphones is recessed. None of my adapters fit in this narrow slot. The earpads, while comfy and isolate well, are not easily removed or swapped.

I was hoping to mod these but I can't seem to find any screws or any way to open them up without damaging them.

Overall, it feels like a relaxed presentation. These are not fatiguing and great for long listening sessions. Nothing is great but nothing is bad either, it feels like they designed the sound to be unoffensive even at very high volumes. I'm going to guess this is Denon's sound signature because I haven't heard any other headphones like this.

Only reason I bring this thread back from the dead is that Denon is selling this headphone directly from their website for $60, which I think is a really good deal. $199 no, $60 gimme.

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d1200

2021-0111-16.jpg20211-01-16.jpg2021-01-16.jpg202451-01-16.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #38 of 51
Build quality is excellent, light weight, earcups are a matte finish, all parts that appear to be metal seem to be metal but its hard to tell. Either way it looks well built and doesn't look like a cheap headphone. There's a crosshatch fabric underneath the headband, the top of the headband and earcups are covered in a very soft pleather, very comfy headphones.

While i don't agree even with your sound impressions, i won't comment on that, i'll just say anyone looking for bass and resolution should look elsewhere.
On the other hand, build quality is awful - on the pictures, you get a feeling that it is well built with a decent sense of luxury, however, it is quite opposite.
Poorly built, with everything made of plastic (looking like aluminium), cheaply finished earcups and construction. The only thing that is good is headband and earpad material / size.
You have a feeling they are some plastic toy, rather than moderately priced consumer headphones.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #39 of 51
While i don't agree even with your sound impressions, i won't comment on that, i'll just say anyone looking for bass and resolution should look elsewhere.
On the other hand, build quality is awful - on the pictures, you get a feeling that it is well built with a decent sense of luxury, however, it is quite opposite.
Poorly built, with everything made of plastic (looking like aluminium), cheaply finished earcups and construction. The only thing that is good is headband and earpad material / size.
You have a feeling they are some plastic toy, rather than moderately priced consumer headphones.

While the bass is not great, it is the most prominent aspect of the sound of this headphone. It might help to understand your opinion if you provide a comparison.

I'm looking at them now and out of all the headphones I have and can remember touching, I stand by my original impression, the build quality on this is excellent by comparison. When jiggling them, theres no creaking or squeaking. Only the earcups are plastic and they are pretty dense, its not a cheap plastic like the M40x/M50x, T50rp or Sony MDR-1am2.

I've worked in a machine shop in my past and have experience with lathes, milling machines, cnc machines, etc. After careful reexamination, the fork is metal, headband trim is metal, all of the parts that appear to be metal are metal except the cover parts in the pic above where there are screws. The fact that I have to reexamine at all to figure out if its metal or plastic should indicate the quality.

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #40 of 51
While the bass is not great, it is the most prominent aspect of the sound of this headphone. It might help to understand your opinion if you provide a comparison.

I'm looking at them now and out of all the headphones I have and can remember touching, I stand by my original impression, the build quality on this is excellent by comparison. When jiggling them, theres no creaking or squeaking. Only the earcups are plastic and they are pretty dense, its not a cheap plastic like the M40x/M50x, T50rp or Sony MDR-1am2.

I've worked in a machine shop in my past and have experience with lathes, milling machines, cnc machines, etc. After careful reexamination, the fork is metal, headband trim is metal, all of the parts that appear to be metal are metal except the cover parts in the pic above where there are screws. The fact that I have to reexamine at all to figure out if its metal or plastic should indicate the quality.
Aight, i can't guarantee it is plastic, but that is my impression, after testing them in shop. Aside from being heavily disappointed with the build quality, when i tested sound i was shocked how bad it is.
The sound is subjective, so my perception might be heavily biased (it is), but bass is absent, midbass is nowhere to be found, while resolution is...sub par, at best.
I have to point out that i like bass a lot, so any headphone with no bass quantity and quality is a no-go for me.
To give you some clue, compared to something like AIAIAI TMA2 DJ, bass is non-existent and everything sounds 10x better on AIAIAI - highs, mids, resolution, speed etc..
Not trying to bash your opinion, just to give another view to a potential new owner of D1200. Even M50X has more bass than D1200.
Also, that's only my memory, it was long time ago...i went to shop with intention to buy them, just wanted to listen to them before buying and left shop with an awful impression and ofc, no D1200 :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #41 of 51
Aight, i can't guarantee it is plastic, but that is my impression, after testing them in shop. Aside from being heavily disappointed with the build quality, when i tested sound i was shocked how bad it is.
The sound is subjective, so my perception might be heavily biased (it is), but bass is absent, midbass is nowhere to be found, while resolution is...sub par, at best.
I have to point out that i like bass a lot, so any headphone with no bass quantity and quality is a no-go for me.
To give you some clue, compared to something like AIAIAI TMA2 DJ, bass is non-existent and everything sounds 10x better on AIAIAI - highs, mids, resolution, speed etc..
Not trying to bash your opinion, just to give another view to a potential new owner of D1200. Even M50X has more bass than D1200.
Also, that's only my memory, it was long time ago...i went to shop with intention to buy them, just wanted to listen to them before buying and left shop with awful impression and ofc, no D1200 :)

Maybe the set you tried was heavily abused and damaged since they were demo / display headphones.

I also like heavy bass but I can't stand poor quality or boomy bass. Never tried the AIAIAI TMA2 headphones but when compared to the M50x, I'd say the D1200s is on a similar level of bass. The M50x definitely has more impact on the bass hits but I'd say the overall quality of the bass is better on the D1200s, its clean, tight, smooth, not boomy like the M50x.

The more I listen to the D1200s, the more I like them. They look like $199 headphones in terms of build quality and the sound is very much to my liking.

For $60 these headphones are a steal.

If anyone else pulls the trigger on these, please post a review, I'd really like to hear more opinions on this.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #42 of 51
I received my Denon AH-D1200 on December 1. The sale price then was $69.99. They are connected to my laptop through a Bravo V2 amplifier, with a Genalex Gold Lion tube (a, to my ears, substantial upgrade with respect to the original tube). I have had this amplifier since 2014 and the tube since 2017. I use the D1200 mainly as "home office" phones, when I lecture or participate in calls. I find them good for that purpose, because they are comfortable. The sound is nothing special. I find the CAL! to sound much better. Of course, the CAL! is very similar to the old Denon AH-D1001, which was discontinued before August 2011 (see https://www.stereophile.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate). Soundwise, Denon has not yet caught up with that model! I think that the Foster biocellulose diaphram is hard to beat. Still, compared to the CAL!, the D1200 is more comfortable mainly because of larger pad openings, has better isolation, seems better constructed, arguably looks better, and may be a good choice for a "home office" phone. Also, as Tyll Heystens noted in the review I quoted, the CAL! "has a slightly flimsy feel due to a bit of creakiness in the bails and delicate design." My CAL! broke, but I was able to fix them with superglue. The AD-1200 feels much more substantial in comparison.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #43 of 51
Found this frequency response graph from a French reviewer.

Denon_AH-D1200_frequency_response.jpg

Posted the $60 deal on slickdeals and the load took down their servers a few times.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #44 of 51
Found this frequency response graph from a French reviewer.

dougms3, could you please provide the link to the French review?

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #45 of 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back