Denon AH-D1001 review
Sep 5, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an identical experience with my d1001s as the OP (comparing to hd555s versus his hd580s). The treble in the Denons were much nicer than the Senns, and they get even better with recable. Just like the OP, I noticed the bass and mids clearing up after break-in, and again, even more improvement with recable.

Also, before recable, I preferred the 555s for gaming (CS:S), but now I use the Denons - improved soundstage after recable.

Hey, googan

Who did your Denon recable, and what cable did they use. I'm eventually planning on getting my D1001's recabled, but am not sure where to go.

--Eric

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #33 of 87
If only hifionline on trademe had the black ones. I'm still very tempted to get those silver ones he has... Or the D2000s.. but $325 - cripes that's a lotta cash!

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #34 of 87
Thank you for that review. I just got my D1001 on ebay for 120$ (which is a very good deal here in France where Denon start selling it for... 180€!!). At first i was very pleased with the general sound balance, especially when tested on a high quality amp, but then when i compared these headphones to my older AKG K414 (or K26 in America?) i was kind of disappointed by the lack of bass/highs. To me there's just too much mediums. I use them with a Sansa Clip with a good set up on it. So i don't know yet if the Denon will get better with time, i hope so. I'd like to ask the author of this review if the improvement he felt was due to burn in or just because he got used to these cans?

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, googan

Who did your Denon recable, and what cable did they use. I'm eventually planning on getting my D1001's recabled, but am not sure where to go.

--Eric

I recabled them myself actually. It was my first cable project and it went relatively smoothly.

Got all my parts from redco. I used Mogami 2893 cable with neutrik plugs (i think 231). The plug and the cable fit together so tightly that I didn't need to heatshrink. Some prefer to use the Canare mini starquad instead of the Mogami.

Check out the following two excellent guides made by Bostonears for some pointers if you decide to go the DIY route.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...-d1000-353941/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...-d1000-350167/

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got all my parts from redco. I used Mogami 2893 cable with neutrik plugs (i think 231). The plug and the cable fit together so tightly that I didn't need to heatshrink.

Did you use the Neutrik NYS231 or NYS231L plug?

Thanks,

Ryan

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 87
I just got my D1001 yesterday and I haven't had much time to listen to them. My initial impressions are good. Oh and yeah they sure are comfortable! I can listen to them much much longer than my Sennheiser PX100.

I kept hearing that these are bass monsters... well I'm glad I didn't go with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (which are considered bass shy) then... I don't consider the D1001 bass monsters but I've never heard a headphone that has the slam I want. But then again I've been spoiled by that bass slam in car audio so there's really no comparision in headphones to that probably. The bass is satisfying though. I do not find the bass bloated or muddy at all.

Oh boy there sure a lot of highs compared to my PX100. I can kinda understand what some people refer to as the Sennheiser "veil" but I really wouldn't call it a "veil" (rolled off highs maybe?). Anyway I wouldn't want a brighter headphone cuz that would shred my ear drums.

Overall I really like them. I can't complain for $80.99 shipped to my door.

My ranking of headphones I've have or had (lol not too many):
Denon AH-D1001 > Sennheiser PX100 > Sony MDR-V600 > a couple of cheap Sony's and Realistic (Radio Shack) headphones from the mid to early 90's.

Ryan

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use the Neutrik NYS231 or NYS231L plug?

Thanks,

Ryan

nys231

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kept hearing that these are bass monsters... well I'm glad I didn't go with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (which are considered bass shy) then... I don't consider the D1001 bass monsters but I've never heard a headphone that has the slam I want. But then again I've been spoiled by that bass slam in car audio so there's really no comparision in headphones to that probably. The bass is satisfying though. I do not find the bass bloated or muddy at all.

Don't forget burn in... I've used those cans for about two weeks and i think bass is getting better. Before I had the AKG K414 which has amazing bass, and the Denon is not so far now. I listen to a lot of hip-hop and i can't complain with these cans. I hope its sound will still improve though.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #40 of 87
So where are people finding the AH-D1001's for $80 and under? Amazon has them for $149, and the cheapest on ebay for new is $100.49. I realize it is nearly six months since the start of this thread but I would have thought if anything the price would go down...

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 87
is re-cabling really worth it? the denon d2000 go for about $200 more with a cable from moon audio...i can't imagine a cable nearly doubling the performance of the headphones (assuming that a double in price due to an upgrade would double the quality of the phone)

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #42 of 87
how many times are people going to say they creative aurvana's are the same? They're not. They have the same drivers. A headphone is not just a driver and other junk. The cup shape and how the pads make the driver sit in relation to the ears can have a GIGANTIC effect on the sound. That's not to say that the creative's aren't great, I have no idea, I haven't tried them. But my point is that head-fi needs to stop being so "drivercentric" its not all about the drivers. If it was just about the drivers, wouldn't closed headphones be mostly the same as open? But we all know that's not true.

Anyway, its kind of one of my pet peeves. They're not the same headphones just because they use identical drivers.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoHo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where are people finding the AH-D1001's for $80 and under? Amazon has them for $149, and the cheapest on ebay for new is $100.49. I realize it is nearly six months since the start of this thread but I would have thought if anything the price would go down...

Headroom has them for $90. I think I may order the D1001's from them as well.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom has them for $90. I think I may order the D1001's from them as well.

After I posted the question I saw that Buy.com has them for $82 shipped (but currently out of stock). I may just wait for them to get them back in stock.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #45 of 87
Got my Denon D1001s for $60 here on head-fi - great set of cans especially for portable use. Plan to move up to the 2001's when I see a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back