Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Sep 2, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #106 of 140
recabling works. if ur in nz u should pm steve kelby, his rep is world renowned. He recabled my d1001's

Edit: here are his impressions

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby

Comparing the D1001 before and after recable. The stock cable is very bad quality, very thin and poor quality wires with little care in the design.

I listened to a few standard tracks I use to test things including Chemical brothers – Under the influence, Emiliana Torrini – Heartstopper, Michael Jackson – Man in the Mirror, Edward Elgar – Enigma Variations Adagio, Miles Davis – Flamenco Sketches, Radiohead – No Surprises, Prodigy – Breathe, Dave Brubeck – Take Five, and plenty others.

At first listen the main thing I noticed was the lack of detail resolution, They aren’t very sensitive ‘phones and seem to hide the quiet notes, compressing the dynamic range. I have been spoiled by this lately and it stood out to me. The bass guitar notes seemed to blend into one long note instead of hearing the individual vibrations. Mids weren’t too bad, pretty engaging and enjoyable, but not tonally 100% accurate. Treble was certainly not sibilant which is probably a good thing for most people as that’s a common annoyance with many cans.

After the recable the main improvement was the detail retrieval, those bass guitar notes were now separate which was nice to hear. Bass is much more controlled and punchier, not blurry like before. The instrument separation was also a noticeable improvement, soundstaging being more accurate and believable. I was really starting to enjoy them! The treble was still controlled and not sharp at all but had more of the fine details. Maybe the recable has lowered the noise floor or improved the signal noise ratio allowing more details to be revealed. They still don’t sound as good a s a D5000 of course, frequency extension top and bottom is not as good and the level of resolution is not as high, however they are now a very good sounding pair of cans and much more enjoyable to listen to regardless of their worth, bringing a smile to my face and chills down my spine and that’s the main test.

Every area of the sound has been improved, the only possible negative could be microphonics if the cable is rubbing/banging against things while listening, you may hear the sound vibrate through the earcups. The APS and SAA cables do this too though, the only one I have heard that doesn’t is the Jena wire but that’s quite expensive.

EDIT:

here are my impressions.

My ears hear a night and day difference. I had also bought a pair of these for my father. His are still stock. The difference is quite apparent to me.

Imagine you had a logitech speaker system. Now imagine you took away the mini speakers and replaced them with larger speakers from your stereo...this is what it sound like when you recable the d1001. It feels like the bass is recessed a little bit...however it hasnt. The treble has just increased...no sibilance just a bump in the treble...and this is night and day. ALSO the detail of the bass and treble overall seems to also increased the signal noise ratio has definitely been changed by adding a better quality cable. Everything else stays the same. Im soon to add some dynamat to increase the bass a bit...will see hoew dampening the drivers improves the sound
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #108 of 140
jonathan,

Well in my experience with the fiio, the bass isn't muddy at all like your experiences. HOWEVER, i feel that it doesn't actually make it sound better (bass quality) by a significant amount, at least to my ears. It's just a nice lil bass boost to me when i feel like bumpin it haha. So i guess that's all it really is to me, a selective volume booster if you will.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #109 of 140
Steves located in Adelaide Australia, however its cheaper to post to him then to someone in europe US etc. pricing depends on whether he will do it and what you want. his work is top notch but
k701smile.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #110 of 140
Ub3rMario: Maybe "muddy" isn't exactly it. Could be an overpowering of the mids by the bass? (Obviously, I'm dissatisfied with "Maybe it's subjective"-type resolutions. Most of the time, at least, we should be able to agree on what we hear. What we actually here is another matter. And whether we like it is yet another.

Mr_Junesequa: Ah, Aussie. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #111 of 140
Quote:

we should be able to agree on what we hear. What we actually here is another matter.

What we hear and what we actually hear is the same thing. Hearing is perception; there's no way to prove each person hears something or not. It's all their perception. What i took from your statement though is that we should find some similarities within our individual perceptions of the sound though. I agree, and that similarity is the increase in bass volume/amount (what have you).

EDIT: It just occurred to me that maybe you meant what sound is produced by the sources is another matter. However again, frequency response and such can only go so far as not every nuance is measurable, only fairly basic data.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #112 of 140
Actually, I meant to dissociate:

1. Our reports/descriptions of our perceptions (e.g., "The pen is red.")
2. Our actual perceptions. (e.g., Our experience of the qualia of redness.)

So, we should both agree that the pen is red, but it's possible that what I'm describing as "red" would look "blue" to you.

Likewise, whatever it is we're experiencing, I think we should be able to agree on a description (because we systematically differ on the meanings of the words we use).

So, I should ask, "Would you describe your experience as the bass overpowering the mids?" Of course, that might be desirable to some (e.g., those who are mid-phobic or bass-philiac), but not to others.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #113 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that's pretty subjective. If you're a basshead you'd like the fiio with the denons. When i'm in the mood, i plug it in and play some club bangers. It's fun and i enjoy it, however sufficient without the fiio for my tastes most of the time.

I've found the 1001's are very sensitive to the Amp used with them. They sound like crap (muddy) with my Ibasso P2 (a very warm amp, stock Op-amps with bass boost off) They sound great with my Ibasso D2 (viper with stock OP-amps) and With my PAV2 it again sounds muddy, but not as bad as the P2. Seems I'll be using my D2 until they break in completely.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #114 of 140
thanks for all the discussion about the 1001 with the fiio.
I am a fan of bass so i think I'll spring the little bit of money to get the fiio bc I may also want to boost the bass a little every once in a while.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #115 of 140
Ooh, sounds like synergy is an issue with the D1001s then. Or is the synergy issue a problem on the amp side? I'll drop a line when my 2Move comes.

thatwunguy: Sure. That's what we're here for.

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #118 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, sounds like synergy is an issue with the D1001s then. Or is the synergy issue a problem on the amp side? I'll drop a line when my 2Move comes.

thatwunguy: Sure. That's what we're here for.

Yeah I'd say synergy is an issue. The D1001's are so revealing, combined with the fact they are a tad warm, when mixed with a Warm amp..you (might) get too much Bass. IMO Im not much of a Bass Head (anymore) but it seems a Warm amp with the D1001's might be pushing it. (for some)

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #120 of 140
Burn in is real.Just ask any AKG K701 owner.Or Ultrasone 780 or 750 owner. It's a PITA to me now. 300 Hours for my 701's and 250ish for my Proline 750's And now another 100 or so for the D1001's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back