Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Aug 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #61 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh contraire. I think that audiophiles will find the D1001s to be very useful - in certain situations. While I won't be trading in my AKG K701s, for rock music the D1001s are hard to beat. Plus I can take the Denons on the road - something I would dream of doing with the K701s.

I agree. They cant hold a candle to the K701's, however they are portable (over the ear for me) that do well with most music.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think richierich just means he sits in his parked car during lunch breaks, and wants some decent portable headphones to make the breaks sweeter. Am I wrong, richie?

Yes that is correct. I wouldn't even think of looking like a doofus while driving with fullsized headphones on! Not to mention the danger of it as well
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #63 of 140
I love these headphones...

So, how do they do with an amp? I was thinking of getting something for my MacBook, and I'm told the iBasso D2 was be used as a portable amp too? Anyway, do the Denon 1001s (which are my main MacBook headphones now) improve considerably with the amp?

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #64 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been there, done that. (I own the AD700s and have the D1001s in for review.) When you do compare them you'll find that'll be closer tha you think. The AD700s are more refined, but the D1001s have a clarity in the bass that smoles the AD700s. I prefer the comfort of the D1001s to the AD700s - too loose on my big melon (can't imagine them on someone with a head smaller than mine).

Overall the AD700s will win - as well they should - but the D1001s come closer than one might/should expect - as long as you stick to the types of music that the D1001s excell on like rock and pop (they do jazz OK but don't have the dynamic capabilities for classical).

Let me step in here with my opinion... I don't have near the experience that John does, but perhaps someone will find my thoughts useful. I've had the AD700 for about three years now, and the D1000 for over a year. I run both straight from my computer, via a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. I listen mainly to rock, pop and jazz, with a little folk and instrumental.

I definitely prefer the D1000. I find it to be more detailed, and yet less fatiguing than the AD700. I couldn't listen to the AD700 for more than an hour or two without my ears beginning to hurt, but I can listen to the D1000 for hours on end (moreover, I listen at moderate to low volumes - never very loud).

Bass is also much better on the D1000. It extends slightly lower than the AD700 (not much) with better impact. I'm not a bass-head at all (quite the opposite, really), but with the AD700 I sometimes feel like a song's foundation is not present (for example, it can't quite reach the lowest notes of some walking bass lines).

The midrange on the AD700 is more forward than the D1000, and while I prefer this voicing (especially for female vocals), I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the D1000.

Finally, I have a narrow head, so the AD700 tends to slip if I tilt my head too much. The D1000 is light and comfy, and stays on my head! With respect to isolation/leakage, I would say the headphone doesn't leak at all, but it doesn't isolate much either (outside sounds are muffled somewhat). I consider these the perfect office phone, as they won't disturb your coworkers, but you're still connected to your environment (so a coworker doesn't have to scream to get your attention).

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #65 of 140
Hmm...they do leak some out for me, but admittedly not much. At about 50% volume (both the MacBook and the iTunes at 50%), my girlfriend can hear bits and pieces from about a metre and a half away, especially when I'm playing female vocals. So, I wouldn't say they don't leak at all, though maybe (a) I'm wearing them wrong, or (b) It's my glasses.

I really like the D1001s for female vocals and jazz. That said, I don't have extensive headphone experience.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #67 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwerty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me step in here with my opinion... I don't have near the experience that John does, but perhaps someone will find my thoughts useful. I've had the AD700 for about three years now, and the D1000 for over a year. I run both straight from my computer, via a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. I listen mainly to rock, pop and jazz, with a little folk and instrumental.

I definitely prefer the D1000. I find it to be more detailed, and yet less fatiguing than the AD700. I couldn't listen to the AD700 for more than an hour or two without my ears beginning to hurt, but I can listen to the D1000 for hours on end (moreover, I listen at moderate to low volumes - never very loud).

Bass is also much better on the D1000. It extends slightly lower than the AD700 (not much) with better impact. I'm not a bass-head at all (quite the opposite, really), but with the AD700 I sometimes feel like a song's foundation is not present (for example, it can't quite reach the lowest notes of some walking bass lines).

The midrange on the AD700 is more forward than the D1000, and while I prefer this voicing (especially for female vocals), I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the D1000.

Finally, I have a narrow head, so the AD700 tends to slip if I tilt my head too much. The D1000 is light and comfy, and stays on my head! With respect to isolation/leakage, I would say the headphone doesn't leak at all, but it doesn't isolate much either (outside sounds are muffled somewhat). I consider these the perfect office phone, as they won't disturb your coworkers, but you're still connected to your environment (so a coworker doesn't have to scream to get your attention).

Wow, nice comparison. I agree with you for the most part. The AD700s bass problems tend to stem from its looseness (try pressing them closer to you head and see if it improves - it'll still be less than you'd like but better than it was). The midrange forwardness can be traced to the lack of serious bass whereas the D1001s bass tends to lessen its midrange punch.

Both are good headphones - but for completely different reasons. Horses for courses.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #68 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love these headphones...

So, how do they do with an amp? I was thinking of getting something for my MacBook, and I'm told the iBasso D2 was be used as a portable amp too? Anyway, do the Denon 1001s (which are my main MacBook headphones now) improve considerably with the amp?

An amp makes the D1001s stand up and salute. That's what these cans need is a good swift kick in the arse. Good as they are run straight from an iPod or computer run with a kick butt amp makes them that much better. When funds permit, do it. You enjoy the results.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #69 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, is it just me of is the bass response improving (i.e., getting tighter, less muffled) with use?

Nope it's not you. The D1001s bass does improve with age. Enjoy.

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #71 of 140
Maybe it's just me but the denon fits over my ears so i don't get much leak and isolation is pretty good.

The difference between unamped and using my corda 2move is pretty significant. The base gets tighter and more controlled (which happens with burn-in but even moreso with an amp), and i feel like the midrange is given a little more attention than without. As a result a very nice allround headphone is created which i can wear FOREVER it seems due to the insane comfort.
biggrin.gif
Love em!

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #72 of 140
Recently got these cans and i am loving them. Very comfy and almost no ear fatigue (soundwise, also).

To the owners of these Denon's how long is a good amount of burn-in? I've done about 25hours of pink noise and they improved greatly, but are still lacking a bit. Should i shoot for the 100+ hr range?

These are fantastic in almost every way. Especially for the price around $80.

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #73 of 140
Mine changed at 50 about, and after 100 settled pretty much so yeah shoot for 100.

There's no hurt in listening through that first 100 though
smily_headphones1.gif
that's what I did. I don't see why people refuse to touch them before burn-in...i mean it's like watching your baby grow up. haha. It's fun.

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #75 of 140
I'd recommend it, and for more than just these cans. It's a great portable amp! If you don't believe me go look at skylab's giant portable amp post for an in depth review (along with 30-something other amp reviews).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back