Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Aug 26, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking of the D1001s for a full size headphone. It's fairly cheap online at $80. So tempting.

Honestly, if you're in the market for sub-$100 headphones, get them. It's a no-brainer for 80 bucks. If you already have cans in that price range, sell them and buy the d1001s
smily_headphones1.gif
NO $80 headphone can beat them, point blank. I challenge anyone to dispute this.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #17 of 140
Agreed the D1001k's are fantastic, I have them and love them. But they do leak a little (and isolate not at all, as others have said). I think they will not work in a office desk-upon-desk setting. In a cube you will be fine because the fabric panels will cut the sound down, but with open desks there will be an issue.

We use at our office Audio Technica ATH-ES7's for this. They won't sound as good as D1001k's though.

Everything is returnable if you buy from the right places, so try 'em all!

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, if you're in the market for sub-$100 headphones, get them. It's a no-brainer for 80 bucks. If you already have cans in that price range, sell them and buy the d1001s
smily_headphones1.gif
NO $80 headphone can beat them, point blank. I challenge anyone to dispute this.

Not sure about $80 but at $104, the Audio Technica AD700's (I liked em more than my HD580's) would SURELY beat them. Maybe I'll have to buy some D1000's to test this...
confused_face.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure about $80 but at $104, the Audio Technica AD700's (I liked em more than my HD580's) would SURELY beat them. Maybe I'll have to buy some D1000's to test this...
confused_face.gif

lol maybe you should try them before saying that the AD700s would SURELY beat them? Though I haven't tried the AD700s myself
tongue.gif

But I maintain my original statement that the Denons cannot be beat at $80!

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #20 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed the D1001k's are fantastic, I have them and love them. But they do leak a little (and isolate not at all, as others have said). I think they will not work in a office desk-upon-desk setting. In a cube you will be fine because the fabric panels will cut the sound down, but with open desks there will be an issue.

We use at our office Audio Technica ATH-ES7's for this. They won't sound as good as D1001k's though.

Good points here on an application stand-point. You'll find a lot of people on head-fi that will attest to ES7 being slightly superior in sound, or at least enjoyability, over the Denons. However the ES7s are at least $20 more expensive right now. That's actually what got me to pull the trigger on the Denons. Also the Denons win in the comfort department
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #21 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol maybe you should try them before saying that the AD700s would SURELY beat them? Though I haven't tried the AD700s myself
tongue.gif

But I maintain my original statement that the Denons cannot be beat at $80!

Well here in New Zealand the D1001's are about the same price as the AD700's... Maybe some day I'll compare them. I highly doubt that the AD700's will be beaten by a lowly D1001 though.
biggrin.gif
I mean the D1001's are closed and the AD700's are open. Isn't open always better sound than closed?

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #22 of 140
Quote:

Well here in New Zealand the D1001's are about the same price as the AD700's... Maybe some day I'll compare them. I highly doubt that the AD700's will be beaten by a lowly D1001 though.
biggrin.gif
I mean the D1001's are closed and the AD700's are open. Isn't open always better sound than closed?

Depends. I own Senn HD555's, which is in the same price point as the D1001s, and I feel the Denons are slightly better in SQ, overall, than the open 555s. The 555s are slightly more comfortable with superior mids. The Denons are better everywhere else.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 140
Quote:

Isn't open always better sound than closed?

Depends on your music preferences.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #25 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang it, fraseyboy, now I'm curious about the AD700s. Come think of it, I've never had a pair of open cans.

Get the AD700's! Then compare to D1001's
biggrin.gif

AD700's are seriously awesome. Probably a good contrast to what you have already too. Checkout my review (link in sig) for detailed impressions

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #26 of 140
I'm being manipulated by a 15-year-old...me, a psychology major! Oh, the humanity! *must not buy...*

So, where are these cans to be bought in NZ?

Edit (after seeing fraseyboy's review): Dude, these aren't the prettiest cans in the world. The pretty waitress is not going to stop and chat...

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #27 of 140
hey, I'm in the market for some new cans, but was looking for a sub $60 set. I'm interested in the audio technica m30 and pro5.

How do these compare comfort wise to the m30? If anyone has worn both. These are a bit above what I wanted to spend, but $25 more may be worth it...maybe?

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 140
Quote:

confused_face.gif

Been there, done that. (I own the AD700s and have the D1001s in for review.) When you do compare them you'll find that'll be closer tha you think. The AD700s are more refined, but the D1001s have a clarity in the bass that smoles the AD700s. I prefer the comfort of the D1001s to the AD700s - too loose on my big melon (can't imagine them on someone with a head smaller than mine).

Overall the AD700s will win - as well they should - but the D1001s come closer than one might/should expect - as long as you stick to the types of music that the D1001s excell on like rock and pop (they do jazz OK but don't have the dynamic capabilities for classical).

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #30 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow. You must listen louder than I do since I found the D1001s to leak very little - I can even listen to them in the same room with my sleeping wife and not bother her at all. But maybe you were refering to the D1001s allowing outside noise in and making listening a chore. THAT I agree with. In such a case you'd end up turning them up way too loud (and damaging your hearing) and maybe they do leak enough to bother others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back