Denon AH-C751 for just $100 on Amazon. Is that a normal price for them, or are they fakes?
Oct 19, 2008 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Marconelly

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying new IEMs, and looking for something in the price range of $100. I was surprised to find that right now AH-C751s are being sold for just $100 on Amazon - I always thought these were supposed to be around twice that price. I'd gladly buy them if I could somehow be sure they are not fakes. They are not being sold at that price from Amazon directly, but from an affiliate store called "The factory depot".

Has anyone purchased these from there, and can confirm they are genuine?

Also, can someone suggest some other IEMs I should consider looking into for around that price? How do Senn CX95s compare to C751? CX95s are just $60 on Amazon right now (is that a normal price for them? I thought they were much more expensive as well) I use CX300s and like them a lot considering the low price. They were one of the very few IEMs I've seen that had really strong bass, even if boomy and imprecise. My big worry is that with these more expensive IEMs I'll get better quality sound but weaker bass - so the assumption that the bass strength will be carried over from CX300 is what makes me look into CX95s.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Yeah that's their street price nowadays. And as far as value for money few IEMs can match the C751, they are the D1001 of the IEM world. And they are really bassy and are a match for the CX300, the only issue is that their isolation is not as good as the other IEMs. But otherwise they are easily worth twice its price.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar
Yeah that's their street price nowadays. And as far as value for money few IEMs can match the C751, they are the D1001 of the IEM world. And they are really bassy and are a match for the CX300, the only issue is that their isolation is not as good as the other IEMs. But otherwise they are easily worth twice its price.

Isolation with these is actually another big concern for me. I work at a rather noisy workplace, and CX300s have been a life saver when I need to concentrate on work. When the music is playing through them, I literally cannot hear anything around me anymore, even if someone behind me is talking very loudly.

When you say they don't isolate as well as other IEMs, do you mean others that have the same silicon tips design (like CX300 and others) or do you mean IEMs that go deeper in your ears like ER6i and similar?

If they can isolate at least as well as CX300, they are a sure buy for me. I've read somewhere that they can, someone mentioned they can't hear themselves type wearing Denons, while they could with CX300s. Or would this scenario fall more under microphonics?

If they cannot isolate as well as CX300s, would it help if I change the silicon tips? I could use those from Sony EXs, and those from CX300s.

I have to be honest - if they cannot isolate as well as CX300s, I will probably have to resort to CX95s, or something else that can be recommended. Being able to block noise and concentrate at work is a paramount of my needs when it comes to IEMs actually.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 16
C751 can isolate as good or even better than CX300. The most important thing is that people who using it get a good seal. Good seal also means getting the tips that is fit with your ear canal (everybody has different ear canal shape -- duh). As for sound quality, compared to CX300 and any other under $100 IEMs, i can say C751 is in different league. It's sounded more like $200-250 IEMs. To reduce microphonic to 0, use the over the ear method and it works well with any other IEMs too.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on buying new IEMs, and looking for something in the price range of $100. I was surprised to find that right now AH-C751s are being sold for just $100 on Amazon - I always thought these were supposed to be around twice that price. I'd gladly buy them if I could somehow be sure they are not fakes. They are not being sold at that price from Amazon directly, but from an affiliate store called "The factory depot".

While I have no idea whether they're fakes or not (I think/hope Amazon wouldn't allow retailers who sell fake products), you should be aware that your Denon warranty would be invalid when buying from a non-authorized retailer:
Quote:

WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:

The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way.

Amazon is listed as an authorized online retailer -- "The factory depot" is not listed. It's unclear whether the warranty is valid buying from a third party through Amazon. The price to buy them directly from Amazon is $199.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon is listed as an authorized online retailer -- "The factory depot" is not listed. It's unclear whether the warranty is valid buying from a third party through Amazon. The price to buy them directly from Amazon is $199.

I guess I'll risk it then. If they break, I can just buy another pair - for 2x the price, warranty kinda makes no sense.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 16
I ordered from Amazon.com yesterday. The 3rd party was Etronics. hehe I had to get the silver color which was 120 something. I'm also concerned about this. I believe the retailers Amazon uses generally have good ratings. This one did. You can check.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 16
Etronics is a good etailer (I bought my home theater receiver from them), but not authorized to sell Denon 751s. Unauthorized third party sellers on Amazon sell at great prices, but you will not be able to file a warranty claim cause when Denon sees the receipt, they will not provide the repair. Seems to me a worthwhile risk ... until they break for any reason. I'd say the odds are good they won't break, though.

Edit: Went to Amazon (U.S.) and did not see any C715s for $99. I saw C551s for $99, and C700s for $165, but no $99 for 751s. Can someone provide a link? I didn't see any third party sellers for the Denon phones, in fact. Went to etronics site and they have no Denons listed. Weird.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Went to Amazon (U.S.) and did not see any C715s for $99. I saw C551s for $99, and C700s for $165, but no $99 for 751s. Can someone provide a link? I didn't see any third party sellers for the Denon phones, in fact. Went to etronics site and they have no Denons listed. Weird.

They were $99 yesterday, $102 earlier today (at The Factory Depot), but right now the cheapest are at $118 at Etronics:

Amazon.com: Denon AHC751K In-ear Headphones (Black): Electronics

I would have ordered them when they were $102, and still want to for $118, but Amazon is not shipping them to Canada. Now I have to find someone from US to get them for me :/

*edit* What the heck, now they do want to send them. What's going on at Amazon? Anyways, ordered a pair of black ones. They are still made of aluminum, just black, correct?

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 16
well bought mine. probably not burned in yet. maybe another 20-25 hrs. how do you tell if they are fake. well I bought the Sony EX tips and they are better than the stock tips but a little loose. not enough to fall out of my ear, at least staying still. My old v-moda vibes had a better fit.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember to replace the ****ty default plugs into either Sony or Senn ones. The difference in isolation and bass response is quite remarkable.

I replaced the tips with the Sony EX tips.
previous post:
well bought mine. probably not burned in yet. maybe another 20-25 hrs. how do you tell if they are fake. well I bought the Sony EX tips and they are better than the stock tips but a little loose. not enough to fall out of my ear, at least staying still. My old v-moda vibes had a better fit.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 16
You might want to try other tips like Comply or Senn ones then. Senn ones are ok but I prefer the springy materials of the EX tips, haven't tried Comply yet. Most people are happy with the Sony tips but I guess we will always have exceptions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back