Denon AH-7200
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #1,951 of 3,155
k4syx, thanks for the post. Not good that you are going through the same thing but kind of nice to know that I am not on my own... Mine are with the service centre and I am missing them badly... Hope you get yours back soon :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,952 of 3,155
How long have you guys used the D7200 until the bass issue occurred?

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,953 of 3,155
Can't speak for k4syx but mine were used for about 120 hours and at moderate volumes. I'm sure that these are isolated issues, coincidental yes but nothing for peeps to panic about.

In the meantime I am revisiting the HD800S which is a great phone but a little anemic in the low end in comparison to the D7200.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #1,954 of 3,155
Can't speak for k4syx but mine were used for about 120 hours and at moderate volumes. I'm sure that these are isolated issues, coincidental yes but nothing for peeps to panic about.

In the meantime I am revisiting the HD800S which is a great phone but a little anemic in the low end in comparison to the D7200.

I see. Hope it's a rare thing.

I know what you mean comparing the D7200 to the HD800(S). My HD800 has its uses though, and EQ'ing certainly does wonders for it. :)

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #1,955 of 3,155
How long have you guys used the D7200 until the bass issue occurred?

Almost a year after purchase, but it was moderately used at best. More kinda like a backup hp, as I do most of my listening with my stax rig.
But definetely more that 120hs, as my burn-in alone was something like 300-400h (though with low volume level).

On the other hand I cannot surely say when the problem occured.I've noticed it lately, but it is possible that it had been this way since a couple of months, because at first I haven't really paid attention to rattle: I was thinking that this may be caused simply by my bass eq. But then I've realized that this should not be the case, as bass lines in opening of Dragonborn go low, but the volume is also low, and I have permanent Foobar gain setting at -5dB. Thats when I began investigating the problem and realized that this has to be some kind of damage to the driver.

I am waiting for my D7200 to be back with me, as I bought another set of 009 pads as per Zolkis recommendation. I already have Dekoni lambskin ones so I will try to compare all three sets here.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,956 of 3,155
Almost a year after purchase, but it was moderately used at best. More kinda like a backup hp, as I do most of my listening with my stax rig.
But definetely more that 120hs, as my burn-in alone was something like 300-400h (though with low volume level).

On the other hand I cannot surely say when the problem occured.I've noticed it lately, but it is possible that it had been this way since a couple of months, because at first I haven't really paid attention to rattle: I was thinking that this may be caused simply by my bass eq. But then I've realized that this should not be the case, as bass lines in opening of Dragonborn go low, but the volume is also low, and I have permanent Foobar gain setting at -5dB. Thats when I began investigating the problem and realized that this has to be some kind of damage to the driver.

I am waiting for my D7200 to be back with me, as I bought another set of 009 pads as per Zolkis recommendation. I already have Dekoni lambskin ones so I will try to compare all three sets here.

Hopefully that gets sorted out soon, and hopefully that's just an rare occurrence on these headphones.

I do look forward to your pad comparisons especially the Stax pads. Seems like Zolkis is the only person who has tried those pads on the D7200. Not surprising though, those pads aren't exactly cheap.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,957 of 3,155
Hopefully that gets sorted out soon, and hopefully that's just an rare occurrence on these headphones.

I do look forward to your pad comparisons especially the Stax pads. Seems like Zolkis is the only person who has tried those pads on the D7200. Not surprising though, those pads aren't exactly cheap.

Will do that. Right after I'll get my 7200 back :)
I own 009 but I was reluctant to take pads off. I had an opportunity to buy another used 009 pads fairly cheap - I paid more for Dekoni's.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,959 of 3,155
The SV looks like a good match (depends on the tubes as well). The risk is low, the D7200 will sound good with nearly anything (that is not honky or rough), it can tolerate some brightness, and in general scales well with amps.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #1,960 of 3,155
The SV looks like a good match (depends on the tubes as well). The risk is low, the D7200 will sound good with nearly anything (that is not honky or rough), it can tolerate some brightness, and in general scales well with amps.

Thank you, I'm planning to buy a new amp/dac as well but not just now, I only have high impedance HP right now so I wasn't sure about these D7200.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,961 of 3,155
Well, good news for me. Mine are on route back from the service centre. Although the left hand driver was the problem they replaced both left and right so it's like starting from scratch. Looking forward to having these back in the fold. I am very exited, as you are with a new purchase but in this case I already know I love them... Sorry if I sound gushing but these phones are "it" for me.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,962 of 3,155
Well, good news for me. Mine are on route back from the service centre. Although the left hand driver was the problem they replaced both left and right so it's like starting from scratch. Looking forward to having these back in the fold. I am very exited, as you are with a new purchase but in this case I already know I love them... Sorry if I sound gushing but these phones are "it" for me.

Do you know what it costs after warranty?
My first 7200er had this problem too. Now I have bought the 9200 (feels like best from 7200 and HD800S for me)....but iam afraid of the same driver-probs in the future.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,963 of 3,155

And I just got mine back, though they are hardly "mine", as they have been replaced with brand new pair in sealed box. So I guess I'll have a nice 200+ h burn-in ahead before I'll make any reasonable pad comparisions :)
(~two weeks......?)

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,965 of 3,155
Well I may try do to some quick comparision, but I am worried that this may be skewed by driver changes, which were (AFAIR) during first ~50 hours (this will be my 4th D7200).
Stay tuned after the weekend :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back