Denon AH-7200
Mar 26, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #827 of 3,134
I've had the Denon D7200 for a few days now and I really enjoy the sound, however I find that they let a bit too much sound in for my taste. Is there any chance that changing the pads to a different type will give better isolation than the stock pads? If so which would you recommend? I'd hate to send them back as they do every thing else right.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #828 of 3,134

You can snap the pads along with the black rings off with gentle force. There are 5 Torx screws locking the frame and driver housing.

Thanks for the pictures!  I think this internal design would eliminate the possibility of DIY drop in replacement cups, ie Lawton???

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #829 of 3,134

No worries. Looking at the pics of the D7200 and the Fostex immediately below they look very similar (near identical attachment slots) so would assume they must be using a ring of some kind. Whether it is detachable or glued to the pads I'm not sure but hopefully another member will be able to confirm!

they are not the same as fostex rings ,, you have to pull the black ring ( no twist ) ,
i dont like the new attachment mechanism , latches are prone to break easily ..

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #830 of 3,134
  There are a lot of good quality lambskin pads around now, Lawton, Dekoni, ZMF, Mr Speakers......IMO they tune your prefs just as tube rolling, DAC/Amp and cable.  Which is why we all hear differently.

Thanks Frank, my Denon D7200 will be here this week, hope it has the reference flat sound as advertised.

cant wait for your comparison with Ether C ,, i ordered one for my self but it will take 2-3 weeks to arrive ..

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #831 of 3,134
Hi xinghui0711
Thank you for the pics.
Would it be possible to get a few close-up pics of the rear of the driver assembly (this piece):

500x1000px-LL-30b6537d__1130419.jpeg

Also, the interior of the wood cups would be useful much obliged. Cheers.

Mark

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #832 of 3,134

You can snap the pads along with the black rings off with gentle force. There are 5 Torx screws locking the frame and driver housing.

Those black pad rings look like they work much like the original HiFiMan rings that snap in place without the twisting like the Fostex/Denon earlier models. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #833 of 3,134

they are not the same as fostex rings ,, you have to pull the black ring ( no twist ) ,
i dont like the new attachment mechanism , latches are prone to break easily ..

Yes, you are correct. The pic I was looking at (post #97) may have been a pre-production unit as that one does appear to using the same attachment system as Fostex.

As Oregonian says the production rings are somewhat similar to those used by Hifiman which I don't personally like for the same reason as you. Makes me wonder why Denon decided to change it.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #834 of 3,134
Had a brief audition of the D7200 last weekend. It's pretty impressive what Denon have achieved here with the much improved build and seems to be a flatter sound than the Fostex at very reasonable price for the current headphone flagship market.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #835 of 3,134
Love the balance overall and the soundstage is expansive enough. EDM hits very hard with this headphone on my setup, though of course at the very lowest octaves the TH-900 pushes more db. 

The only Fostex derivate that could make me replace the 7200 would be a new Fostex Flagship that fixes the peaks thoroughly and doesn't have a laughable price. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #837 of 3,134
  If I look at the pics I see previous generation Lawton cups won't fit, the screws are simply in a different place.
The pads look about the same size to me but I'm not a fan of the new non-twisting mechanism either, prone to breaking.

My review is live  - I will also try the Lawton pads this week when time permits and let you know if they work or not and [post a picture.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #838 of 3,134
My review is live  - I will also try the Lawton pads this week when time permits and let you know if they work or not and [post a picture.
By Live you mean ? Where ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back