Denon AH-7200
Dec 17, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #91 of 3,144
I always like the slight fuss that goes on upon a flagship release. Seems only flagships get the anticipation going. I'm in no hurry to get a $900 headphone but I just think it's cool they have backtracked slightly from the 7100 (if truly only in looks). If this 7200 sounds the same as the 7100 it will be a let down for many.

Thinking about it though it makes you wonder why they would ditch the crazy form factor of the 7100, revert back to the Foster style look on the cup, but keep the 7100 sound. If this is truly a Denon product design apart from Foster, maybe Denon just does not have the engineer skill to attempt the Foster sound just on their own.

Having Foster make the AHD2000 AHD5000 and AHD7000 for them does give them the rights to make a similar looking product on their own. Still wondering if the shape of the cup holder bars of the headband are just a way to get a departure of look from the Foster build, or if they do serve to allow a better fit?

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #92 of 3,144
Thinking about it though it makes you wonder why they would ditch the crazy form factor of the 7100, revert back to the Foster style look on the cup, but keep the 7100 sound.

They wouldn't.  The D7100 was regarded as terrible sounding and sold equally as badly.  It was entirely Denon's design (they did use Fostex drivers, but that was it), and Fostex had no part in it.  Now it seems that Denon is hoping to revive the success of their DX000 series and have Fostex OEM for them again.  The entire headphone assembly is extremely similar to Fostex's TH-X00 series of headphones (compare baffle, cup, driver, and slider design, the only things that seem to be different are the choice of wood, headband, yoke, and possibly pads), and I'm certain it's just going to be another derivative of the TH-X00 series as the DX000 series was.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #93 of 3,144
Have we confirmed Fostex is the OEM?  I saw on another thread it's a UK-based company..............sorry can't find the link right now.  It's the same one who made the MM400. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #94 of 3,144
  Have we confirmed Fostex is the OEM?  I saw on another thread it's a UK-based company..............sorry can't find the link right now.  It's the same one who made the MM400. 

Take a look at the exploded view of the D7200 posted on this thread and the Denon website(www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/portableaudio/onearheadphone/ahd7200).  If Fostex isn't the OEM, I'll be very surprised  The entire assembly, except for a few aesthetic differences and detachable cable, is the exact same as the Fostex TH-X00 series design.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #95 of 3,144

Take a look at the exploded view of the D7200 posted on this thread and the Denon website(www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/portableaudio/onearheadphone/ahd7200).  If Fostex isn't the OEM, I'll be very surprised  The entire assembly, except for a few aesthetic differences and detachable cable, is the exact same as the Fostex TH-X00 series design.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #96 of 3,144

@HiFiGuy528 pointed out in post 72 that http://sabotage.london appears to be the design firm/consultant behind (at least) the aesthetics of the can. I think he's right as the d7200 carries over the same aesthetic qualities of the current Denon MM Series and Globe Cruiser. I'd be hesitant to claim that Fostex is the OEM behind the d7200 as there's little to support such a partnership at the moment. Given the MM Series, it's likely that Denon is solely responsible for the can... We'll see when folks get their hands on the d7200 and open them up to see what's inside. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #97 of 3,144

@HiFiGuy528 pointed out in post 72 that http://sabotage.london appears to be the design firm/consultant behind the aesthetics of the can. I think he's right as the d7200 carries over the same aesthetic qualities of the current Denon MM Series and Globe Cruiser. I'd be hesitant to claim that Fostex is the OEM behind the d7200 as there's little to support such a partnership at the moment. Given the MM Series, it's likely that Denon is solely responsible for the can... We'll see when folks get their hands on the d7200 and open them up to see what's inside. 

Sabatoge.london may have a hand in the looks, but the can is OEM'd by Fostex.  I don't think you read my previous post very thoroughly or took a look at the pictures.
Here're a few pictures for comparison:
D7200

Other Fostex designs

Comparison of baffle and driver assembly:

D7200

Other Fostex designs:

Also, confirmation from another website that Denon has partnered with Fostex for the D7200:
http://www.verumsonus.com/denon-ah-d2000-review/
It also appears that Denon has renewed their work with Foster with the upcoming AH-D7200 that was recently announced, the true successor to the AH-D7000.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #98 of 3,144
That's good. Foster didn't make the free edge nano driver that was in the 7100 from what I've read. The foster driver were called micro fiber drivers. The Chinese articles are calling the new driver nano fiber.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #99 of 3,144
That's good. Foster didn't make the free edge nano driver that was in the 7100 from what I've read. The foster driver were called micro fiber drivers. The Chinese articles are calling the new driver nano fiber.

There is variance in translations so that the same thing can be described differently.  Also, nano can be used interchangeably as a prefix with micro (unless when used formally as an SI prefix), as they both mean "tiny".

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #100 of 3,144
  Sabatoge.london may have a hand in the looks, but the can is OEM'd by Fostex.  I don't think you read my previous post very thoroughly or took a look at the pictures.
Here're a few pictures for comparison:
D7200

I read your post thoroughly and have seen the pictures. It's still speculation as nothing has been officially stated nor verified (a line declaring "appears to have renewed" from some website doesn't count). Don't underestimate how much I want Foster to be involved in the d7200. If they aren't (given Denon's post Foster collaborations), it's likely the TH-900's are the cans for me. In fact, the d7200 is the sole reason I haven't already purchased the 900's. 

The truth is, at the moment anyway, there are only a few people who know much about the d7200. And, that's pretty damn exciting. 

beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #101 of 3,144
The d7200 diaphragm clearly look identical to previous interations of biodyna diaphragm design.

From the denon ahd x000, Fostex TH,denon ahdx100 to Audio Quest NH. Its very obvious that Fostex is atleast the oem for the diaphragm because they would be the cheapest and most relaible manufacturer due to already being established for many many years.

The free edge refers to the rubber surround around the stiff micro/nano/biocel fibers. Fostex and denon has been refering to those drivers being free edge for years.

Ahdx100 drivers and ahdx000 drivers.

I'll post the denon ahd2000 drivers i took apart when i get home. Apart from color differences. Identical.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #102 of 3,144
  I read your post thoroughly and have seen the pictures. It's still speculation as nothing has been officially stated nor verified (a line declaring "appears to have renewed" from some website doesn't count). Don't underestimate how much I want Foster to be involved in the d7200. If they aren't (given Denon's post Foster collaborations), it's likely the TH-900's are the cans for me. In fact, the d7200 is the sole reason I haven't already purchased the 900's. 

The truth is, at the moment anyway, there are only a few people who know much about the d7200. And, that's pretty damn exciting. 

beerchug.gif

You're one of the most difficult people I've ever met.  Here're a few more sources, but not in English.  Use google translate:
http://www.modernhifi.de/denon-ah-d7200/
 The Fostex drivers, which were popular now, now make way for Denon's 50-millimeter free-edge systems.

https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/24661/Dit-zijn-de-nieuwe-producten-van-Denon---Marantz.html
 The D7200 will revert to the legendary headphones from Denon taking Fostex drivers and marked by wooden earcups

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #103 of 3,144
  You're one of the most difficult people I've ever met.  Here're a few more sources, but not in English.  Use google translate:
http://www.modernhifi.de/denon-ah-d7200/
https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/24661/Dit-zijn-de-nieuwe-producten-van-Denon---Marantz.html

Wow, we've exchanged all of a few posts and that's what you think of me. :....( 

Anyhow, thanks for the information and helping to get to the essence of these cans! Again, I think a Denon and Foster reunion is fantastic as their previous efforts were innovative and well received. I hope we're all treated to something special with the d7200. I for one like the overall design and think Denon managed the detachable cable ports much better than Fostex did. Those Urushi cups though... 

I'm looking forward to reading everyones perspectives and auditioning these headphones when they hit the market. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #104 of 3,144
so they look like biocelulose drivers. Never said they didn't. the nano driver used on the 7100 is in fact a foster design met to denons specs from what I just found. Hopefully denon alters something with the previous version driver or allows fostex to do their thing,

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #105 of 3,144

Wow, we've exchanged all of a few posts and that's what you think of me. :....( 

Anyhow, thanks for the information and helping to get to the essence of these cans! Again, I think a Denon and Foster reunion is fantastic as their previous efforts were innovative and well received. I hope we're all treated to something special with the d7200. I for one like the overall design and think Denon managed the detachable cable ports much better than Fostex did. Those Urushi cups though... 

I'm looking forward to reading everyones perspectives and auditioning these headphones when they hit the market. 

Sorry, didn't mean for that to be offensive.  It's just that I thought that what I posted earlier was enough to be conclusive evidence that the D7200 was OEM'd by Fostex.  Anyways, we'll see just how well this can performs when it gets into the hands of some capable reviews (fingers crossed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back