Denon AH-7200
Nov 30, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #76 of 3,155
99,999 yen is about $875 as of today. Too much there is lots of headphones you can buy for that kind of money. These better be world class closed back headphones with sound and finish better then D7000 (I doubt it)

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #78 of 3,155
  Hard to say, the D5000/D7000 were fantastic, but the ones released just before these ones (whatever they were called) were a disaster.

I happen to really enjoy my Denon AH-D600. In fact I've owned and kept them longer than any other headphone I've had and I've owned some really great cans. I can wear them daily for hours on end at work as they are super comfy and have great isolation and no leakage. No disaster in my book.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #79 of 3,155

I happen to really enjoy my Denon AH-D600. In fact I've owned and kept them longer than any other headphone I've had and I've owned some really great cans. I can wear them daily for hours on end at work as they are super comfy and have great isolation and no leakage. No disaster in my book.

I was referring to the AH-D7100. I haven't heard the AH-D600:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf
vs.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000B2012.pdf

The Fostex made predecessors measured substantially better too.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #80 of 3,155

For sale on Flea-Bay all over the world today!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDenon+ahd+7200.TRS0&_nkw=Denon+ahd+7200&_sacat=0

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #82 of 3,155
Redcarmoose said:

For sale on Flea-Bay all over the world today!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDenon+ahd+7200.TRS0&_nkw=Denon+ahd+7200&_sacat=0

A bit pricey, even for the beginning. Especially given the rather low price of Fostex Th-X00 and TH-610. Though I have no idea if these have the same Fostex drivers. It's interesting that their claimed sensitivity is higher than the one of Fostex. Is it Denon's own design?

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #83 of 3,155
A bit pricey, even for the beginning. Especially given the rather low price of Fostex Th-X00 and TH-610. Though I have no idea if these have the same Fostex drivers. It's interesting that their claimed sensitivity is higher than the one of Fostex. Is it Denon's own design?

Don't know but it looks very Fostex from the outside?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #84 of 3,155
A couple of articles are cropping up about the d7200. Still, no perspectives on sound, quality, etc. Soon, hopefully, soon.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/denon-announces-ah-d7200-reference-headphones/

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/denon-ah-d7200/preview/

Edit:
Also, here's the press release from Denon. Interestingly, "The ‘motor’ driving this diaphragm uses CCAW (copper coated aluminium wire) to keep the voice-coil as light as possible, plus extremely strong (more than 1 Tesla) neodymium magnets to increase the linearity and the speed of response." Sounds like some of the language used to describe the TH-X00 (and TH-6XX/EMU's for that matter): "The higher magnetic flux density in these headphones (more than 1 tesla) creates instant attack and decay for a crisper, more detailed sound signature."

Whereas, the TH-900 specifically mentions a magnetic flux density of 1.5 Tesla. Might the TH-900 remain at the top? We'll see...

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #85 of 3,155
BTW, I'm like 95% sure these are not fully sealed.  

Two things: 1) I think I can see a small gap around the edge of where the wood meets the assembly.  Same place as the traditional placement of the "port" on the Foster design. 2) the baffles that the drivers screw into are clearly vented.  This only makes sense if the air has somewhere to "go" after it passes through those holes.  

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #86 of 3,155
oi, not to sure about them fiber drivers. I imagine not much has changed except for FR and a different housing, my guess is named it and made it look like the previous king everyone loved but uses same drivers in the d600/d7100 which were IMO, yuck

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #87 of 3,155
oi, not to sure about them fiber drivers. I imagine not much has changed except for FR and a different housing, my guess is named it and made it look like the previous king everyone loved but uses same drivers in the d600/d7100 which were IMO, yuck

The drivers use biocelulose which are fibers grown from bacterias, however they might be a polymer mixed with biocel given the color. The driver housing is also differebt and has different porting than the dx100 drivers.

Not mention the entire housing is different and may look similar the d7000 housing but if you look at the break down pictures uts very different. One of the biggest issue with the dx100 series was the horrible housing.

If denon played their cards right this can sound amazing. I speak from experience from making custom headphones using TH900 drivers.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #88 of 3,155
It says nanofiber. Not sure if it's the same as biocelulose but it's sure doesn't sound like one. The sound of the driver is exactly like how it looks. Thick, fibrous and while it helps have a bit of an organic timbre to the mids, it's not natural and unfortunately carries over to the lows and even worse the highs. Probably the most veiled headphone I've heard. The d600 was a long listening session headphone and faired among the best for me when it came to using Dolby headphone. Being so bland, it was easy to dissect the positioning ques as there wasn't ANYTHING distracting to me. However it was mediocrely detailed and the lack of excitement made it a no go for most gamers. I like to think outside the box. I took advantage of what little it did have.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #89 of 3,155
It says nanofiber. Not sure if it's the same as biocelulose but it's sure doesn't sound like one. The sound of the driver is exactly like how it looks. Thick, fibrous and while it helps have a bit of an organic timbre to the mids, it's not natural and unfortunately carries over to the lows and even worse the highs. Probably the most veiled headphone I've heard. The d600 was a long listening session headphone and faired among the best for me when it came to using Dolby headphone. Being so bland, it was easy to dissect the positioning ques as there wasn't ANYTHING distracting to me. However it was mediocrely detailed and the lack of excitement made it a no go for most gamers. I like to think outside the box. I took advantage of what little it did have.

That makes no sense.

Sony biocel phones (DC3k, r10)

Fostex TH/Denon AHD (none dx100 series)

ZMF Eikon

Fostex D1001/Creative Aurvana Live!

are all different implementation of biocelulose fiber diaphragms. They all have a different sound. There is no 'biocel sound' except for low distortion and cleanliness. However distortion is not only up to the drivers. The entire housing of the headphones itself also contribute to the sound and thd. Example, HD700 has terrible ringing but if you replace the pads to another kind you can fix the ringing. Its a resonance issue with rhe stock pads. The Denon ahdx100 series has a terrible housing and is certainly holding back the drivers inside.

denon used to call their ahd7000 diaphram a microfiber diaphragm. Im assuming they changed it to nanofiber and dyed it black or made it into a polymer with another material (which would be dumb)

Anyways the Ahdx100 do not sound bad due to their driver material. Its due to an entirely terrible target FR and implementation.

What i am saying is, if denon did truly go back to the ahdx000 design and built off it, improved on it then expect great things. Instead of going off on an entirely different housing design like the ahdx100 series.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #90 of 3,155
I did not mention anything about other companies drivers and how their biocelulose drivers sound. I'm completely aware they don't all carry over similar characteristics. The denon "free edge" diaphragm sounded like crap. Sounded just like an old paper coned speaker but with better distortion characteristics. We will see. I will put money on it that these will sound maybe slightly more refined if they make the housing better but almost exactly like the other "free edge" drivered models. I will go out of my way to hear these and when I do I'll give it all due respect but can almost guarantee that my words will be " just like the d600 but a little more refined. D600 used $120 or d7200 for $1000 or even $300 I personally wouldn't pay the extra."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back