Denon AH-7200
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,006 of 3,155
I can also confirm that these need burning in. I didn't realize before that some headphones need it more than others.

That defective set I got actually smoothed-out after 50 hours. Less rattle and more like a rubber band like vibration. Along with that, the overall sound was more pleasant.

I got a new replacement now and burning them in as we speak. For $700 Canadian on Amazon.ca I do think it's worth it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for Pads? I'm planning on waiting for the Dekoni Sheepskin on Massdrop to be available.

Also I've purchased the Zuperdac along with shorter cables to attempt at an on-the-go setup.

I'm using dekoni TH900 sheepskin that provides excellent comfort and sweat proof. They are a little bit bigger but do fit just fine.

Jun 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,007 of 3,155
Thanks to some reading here, and a good price found at amazon.co.uk (511£ shipped), I've a new pair of headphones at home !
Really impressed by the D7200, I have 2 pairs of TH-X00 (Purple & Ebony) and I have yet to A/B test three but I'll certainly sell one or the two Fostex.
I'm currently testing the ZMF Ori pads on the D7200 and they're doing some good job widening the soundstage, I'll try the Dekoni TH900 pads and see how it compares.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,008 of 3,155
For those of you who are replacing the pads: how are you removing the old pads? Do you have to insert something flat behind the pads to remove them? I saw it mentioned before that the pads click on and you have to be careful not to break the clips off when you remove the pads.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,009 of 3,155
For those of you who are replacing the pads: how are you removing the old pads? Do you have to insert something flat behind the pads to remove them? I saw it mentioned before that the pads click on and you have to be careful not to break the clips off when you remove the pads.

Inside the pads there is a plastic ring that houses those "clips" that attach to the groves on the headphones when you take out the pads.

To remove it, you need to gently lift one side of the pads to detach the ring that's clipped on.

I've done this twice to install the Brainwavz Sheepskin and return the old pads. I would be careful as I can see one of the plastic clips (4 around the ring) breaking off with enough force.

The original pads are good enough, until I get my hands on the fenestrated sheepskin from Dekoni.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,010 of 3,155
First time it was quite hard to get the pads off. Normally it's enough to lift the pad a bit and turn/pivot it inwards (the plastic clips are holding on the exterior side). So if that doesn't work, there are 2 ways to get it off:
1. gently pull off the pads from the plastic ring and then it's easier to remove the plastic ring
2. insert a sheet of thin film between the house and the plastic ring in order to protect the housing, then push in a thin screwdriver or a plastic stick or wooden ice-cream stick where the plastic clips are (at every 45 degrees offset on the circumference) and push the clips inwards and up with the tool. I have used an iFixit stick I had. They came off easily this way. Next time I could get them off with the hands, and even after repeated pad changes it keeps up rather well, no further loss of grip noticed.
However, the Fostex way of mounting the earpads is much better, and the Sony Z1R way is even smoother.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,014 of 3,155
I have very good experiences with the RNHP amp for the older Foster cans (in my case mainly D5000) ... If the D7200 goes in a similar direction then this would be a prime choice.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,016 of 3,155
I'm in search for a good closed HPs. A year ago I bought DT 1770 Pro, but they are too bass heavy and a bit muddy in low frequencies for me, even with velour pads. I've only used them for EDM and metal. I've recently acquired Schiit Mjolnir 2 amp and fell in love again with my 13 year old HD650s - they scaled very well with a good amp and they actually have bass now, but I cant enjoy some of my music collection at decent volume due to sound leakage and angry wife :)

From what I've read here these Denons have very flat FR curve and are really under-appreciated, especially given the 550 GBP price for new pair, so I'm really inclined to give them a test. My only concern is a sound stage. Some reviews mentioned that it is wide enough but lacks the 3D effect. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone tried gaming in them (I find it a good test for presence)?

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,017 of 3,155
I'm in search for a good closed HPs. A year ago I bought DT 1770 Pro, but they are too bass heavy and a bit muddy in low frequencies for me, even with velour pads. I've only used them for EDM and metal. I've recently acquired Schiit Mjolnir 2 amp and fell in love again with my 13 year old HD650s - they scaled very well with a good amp and they actually have bass now, but I cant enjoy some of my music collection at decent volume due to sound leakage and angry wife :)

From what I've read here these Denons have very flat FR curve and are really under-appreciated, especially given the 550 GBP price for new pair, so I'm really inclined to give them a test. My only concern is a sound stage. Some reviews mentioned that it is wide enough but lacks the 3D effect. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone tried gaming in them (I find it a good test for presence)?
These wont be for you.

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #1,019 of 3,155

Sorry for repeating this former query

Will the above mentioned cable work for the DENON D7200 ?

What worries me is this remark: On headphones side with 3.5 mm jack plugs with proprietary beyerdynamic locking mechanism.
(On amplifier side 4-pole XLR plug –this is of course what I need)

Anyone who has tested this cable on a D7200 ?

Thanks for your reply

Urs

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,020 of 3,155
Sorry for repeating this former query

Will the above mentioned cable work for the DENON D7200 ?

What worries me is this remark: On headphones side with 3.5 mm jack plugs with proprietary beyerdynamic locking mechanism.
(On amplifier side 4-pole XLR plug –this is of course what I need)

Anyone who has tested this cable on a D7200 ?

Thanks for your reply

Urs
Short answer: Yes (I use mine with an Oppo HA-1).

I got mine from Amazon UK so its worth checking around for the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back