Denon AH-7200
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,606 of 3,144
My pair just reached 150h... thank god. First 60h was just awful. At 150h those are at least coherent. There is lack of resolution in this system but it might be the amp as well as both are new to me (Gustard H10 with Burson OPAmps)

Anyway my head is not compatible with those. I got pain from pressure point after 45minutes and it is game over.

I know I am not the only one. I remember reading about other users fighting with the problem. Did anybody find a nice solution for it?

Cheers

Regarding the comfort, ZMF Pilot Pad works really well on those and will help you with the headband issues, it does look a little ridiculous on it but it should improve the pressure point.
I never had comfort issues with D7200 to begin with but I tried the Pilot Pad on it anyway, also it is possible that the negative impressions you had of the D7200 is more due to your head and ear shape not being "compatible" with the headphone design rather than the headphone itself sounding bad. Could be just preference I guess, I do prefer slightly rolled off highs with slight bass boost, to me the D7200 does a great job at this, just about 2-3dB on both ends but nothing extreme.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,607 of 3,144
IMG_20180220_003332.jpg Picture Monday

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,610 of 3,144
The difference is subtle enough that I don't think it is worth swapping cables. Headphones cable in general do not impact frequency but many enthusiasts claims major alterations in sound quality. if you have extra cash then maybe give it a shot.

In my experience there may be a difference: both good and bad (for you can always get even worse cabling than the stock one :) ). F.e. B&O H6 and AKG K812Pro have such awful cables that giving them proper PCOCC AWG24 cable (Sommer Onyx or similiar) results in immediate air in treble and better controlled base. Usually it is not earth shaking difference, just a final touch here and there, but sometimes it can be really huge: my HD6XX jumped a whole class higher when I made silver PCOCC balanced cable for them.

But this D7200 cable looks really nice, if it is PCOCC 7N then the only thing I'd bother to replace it with would be silver covered PCOCC. Other than that no need to tinker with the cable itself.

But I digress, I guess I should rephrase my question. What I meant was if there is a reason to go balanced with them, has anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,611 of 3,144
I have found that going balanced really does not make them any better than SE

Ahh I missed your reply. Thats what I wanted to know, really. What amp you've been using to drive them balanced?

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,613 of 3,144
Regarding the comfort, ZMF Pilot Pad works really well on those and will help you with the headband issues, it does look a little ridiculous on it but it should improve the pressure point.
I never had comfort issues with D7200 to begin with but I tried the Pilot Pad on it anyway, also it is possible that the negative impressions you had of the D7200 is more due to your head and ear shape not being "compatible" with the headphone design rather than the headphone itself sounding bad. Could be just preference I guess, I do prefer slightly rolled off highs with slight bass boost, to me the D7200 does a great job at this, just about 2-3dB on both ends but nothing extreme.

Thank you for the advice on ZMF Pad :). I think I will give it a go especially at this price point. I am surprised that something can be had for that little in our hobby :)

I did not say those sound bad. I said those are worse (much / mostly worse if you ask me) then D7100 which I also had. I also said it is far from neutral sounding HP. Actually the music sounds quite engineered out of those. Musical but tempered with mostly due to bass boost followed but recessed mids with some spikes (BTW 2-3db is not little - 3db is twice as much energy in given spectrum, 6db is perceived as twice as loud by human brain).

It may be that part of the problem is Gustard as I am used to higher quality amps.

I think I like them. They seem good for backdrop long listening sessions as the sound is not fatiguing and not grabbing attention too much (other then weird sounding midrange at times) which is what I aimed for as I use this system when I am learning / working or web browsing.

I will have to try them with better amp to see what it will change.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,614 of 3,144
I’ve had the perforated ZMF Ori pads lying around for two weeks and the posts above finally got me to put them on.

I’m useless at giving a comparisson but I will say my subjective impressions are very good. The sound seems more assured, overal more focussed, yet the soundstage seems a bit wider.

I’m using a generic ebay cable which doesn’t sound better or worse than the stock one. It is better because it had a manageable length though.

IMG_9936.jpg

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,615 of 3,144
Still considering the ZMF Pilot Pad. I’ve noticed the hot spot too, though it does take a few hours to manifest itself and I get the impression that the Ori pads give a slight different fit that alleviates the problem somewhat.

Anyone using the Pilot Pad? Happy with them?

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,616 of 3,144
Still considering the ZMF Pilot Pad. I’ve noticed the hot spot too, though it does take a few hours to manifest itself and I get the impression that the Ori pads give a slight different fit that alleviates the problem somewhat.

Anyone using the Pilot Pad? Happy with them?
I have the Pilot Pad but I'm not using it because I don't have any comfort issues, especially with Ori pads. But it does help decrease the headband pressure on your head quite a lot, makes the headband very soft on your head.
One issue tho, you most likely will need to extend the headband fully and will run out of ability to extend it even further because the Pilot Pad adds about 2-3 cm of additional thickness to the headband, but that depends on your head completely. Also it looks ridiculously bad on the D7200 but if you don't mind the looks then it should work fine :)

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,617 of 3,144
I have the Pilot Pad but I'm not using it because I don't have any comfort issues, especially with Ori pads. But it does help decrease the headband pressure on your head quite a lot, makes the headband very soft on your head.
One issue tho, you most likely will need to extend the headband fully and will run out of ability to extend it even further because the Pilot Pad adds about 2-3 cm of additional thickness to the headband, but that depends on your head completely. Also it looks ridiculously bad on the D7200 but if you don't mind the looks then it should work fine :)

Could you post a picture of them with PDFs?

Thanks

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,618 of 3,144
So you think that with the Ori pads the comfort improves? I mean, like I wrote: I get the impression that not only on-ear comfort improves but somehow the headband pressure seems less too. Not exactly sure why.

Yes, I though as much and checked how much room I have to extend and that is quite a bit, I’m using them roughly half extended so room to spare. Agreed that a Pilot Pad detracts from the looks, I am shallow enough to admit that the looks of the D7200 is one of the draws! :darthsmile:

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,619 of 3,144
Could you post a picture of them with PDFs?
I am shallow enough to admit that the looks of the D7200 is one of the draws! :darthsmile:

Okay guys! So here are the pictures of the Pilod Pad as requested, as you can see it's quite big and i do have to say it's a little hard to put on, you have to stretch it a bit and press the both ends very firmly so that they stay connected.

Front and back view:
y5r0spQ.jpg

With and without the Pilot Pad:
03yG9C8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,620 of 3,144
Okay guys! So here are the pictures of the Pilod Pad as requested, as you can see it's quite big and i do have to say it's a little hard to put on, you have to stretch it a bit and press the both ends very firmly so that they stay connected.

Front and back view:
y5r0spQ.jpg

With and without the Pilot Pad:
03yG9C8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Many thanks my friend!

There is plenty of "no-name" options on the amazon. Would you be able to do me one more favor and measure the width so the shorter of the sides? Maybe I will be able to find bigger pads then those which would make it easier and safer to mount?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back