Denon 7000 for $650, should I?
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

bigp399

New Head-Fier
I checked out a local audio store today in search of some AKG 701 or 702s, and instead ended up listening to a pair of Denon AHD-7000s. They seemed pretty darn nice, and their being sealed does lend some convenience in terms of usage in public places. I will mostly use them just for home listening in an environment where loud speakers don't really work (neighbors), so their being sealed is only a minor benefit. Anywho, the price was 650 for the demo pair, which seemed to be in great shape. I'm pretty much just trying to get a gauge for the level of value represented there. I know some folks got in on them for about 600 bucks new from JR awhile ago, but that deal is of course gone. I feel like $350 off of retail is a pretty good price, but I wouldn't mind some input from the more knowing folks here.
I had a pair of Grado 225s a few years back, and while I was impressed with the detail, they tended to be a bit grating after awhile, not to mention the pain in caused my ear lobes after a few hours. The Denons seemed to be very smooth while listening to a bit of Led Zeppelin and some bluegrass, as I would expect from a much more expensive headphone. Also, I am looking for any recommendations on an amp to power them. I will probably use my Creative eMu 0404 for a DAC, since I have been pretty happy with its performance thus far. For amping though, I was thinking of going with a Grado RA1 with AC, partly because I can get a decent deal on it (probably 1000 bucks for it and the headphones). I listened to a Musical Fidelity V-CAN, and wasn't really blown away. Any other recommendations in the 100-400 dollar range are welcome. Anywho, just trying to get some input here so I can rationalize and justify dropping tons of money on headphones. Thanks for any help.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 46
Hmmm, well, do not spend 2X as much for your headphones as your amp and source. More like the opposite.

Denons are nice, Stax are better but open and NOT portable lol.

Sealed and in the middle price range? Ultrasone Pro 900. Easy to drive too. You could get a decent portable amp/dac to run those and stay under $1000 easy.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 46
The D7000's are great headphones for me. I hope you like them as much as I do! I bought mine new from HeadRoom for not much more than $650, so to me $650 sounds a bit high for a demo model.

Be warned that the D7000 can be painful after a long listening session. When you forget you have them on and run your hands through your hair. And you will have long listening sessions.

I power my D7000's from a modded Auzentech HomeTheater sound card headphone output. I don't have a comparison to any other amp with them, but the headphone circuit of the card is well reviewed (in the less expensive Forte model). My guess based on what I've read is that the Auzentech will do better than a dedicated headphone amp in its price range. Assuming you are listening only from the computer and can live without a knob for a volume control. Asus is another manufacturer of sound cards with headphone outputs, although I have never listened to them.

The bottom line is that you should be able to get a new pair of D7000's, an Auzentech HomeTheater card, and a high quality 1/4" to 1/8" adaper cable all for well less than $1000.

If anyone knows of an inexpensive dedicated headphone amp that they think would be a noticeable improvement over the headphone amp in the HomeTheater feeding the D7000's, I would like to hear that too.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 46
Let's not compare open headphones to closed ones. Open headphones are great and all but if you want to isolate your sound and have a more private listening experience then they are not for you.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 46
Well, to be honest with you I am perfectly fine with open headphones, in fact I generally prefer them since I feel like the sealed cans are something of a compromise on audio quality. The minimal sound leakage from open phones isn't going to piss off my neighbors or anything like that. I did like the sound of the Denons though, they certainly sounded better than the last pair of sealed headphones I heard (Senn 201s...). I am looking for a DAC upgrade, but I have been pretty satisfied with the DAC portion of the Emu. I would be picking up an amp for certain though. As far as pricing, yes they are available for somewhere around 650 on Amazon, though that is through Etronics, a retailer for which I have seen mixed reviews. I certainly welcome any honest input regarding purchases from them. Either way, I appreciate the inpput yall have offered.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 46
Your Emu should be perfect, you may like to use its TRS outputs for the highest audio quality (there are huge MEASURABLE differences between small jack and TRS out). And there is nothing wrong in having headphones far surpassing the rest of your chain in price. Source and amp do not have to cost much to be high-end (unless you want to fool yourself into some kind of magic).

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 46
The OP asks lots of related questions, and they need to be answered seperately. In general, demos are ok if they look like they have not been abused, and if you are buying them from a reputable, authorized dealer, who will sell them with full manufacturer's warranty.

I own and love the 7000s, and think they are easily worth $650- especially when you have heard the pair you would buy, and they are probably broken-in already.

i am not sure etronics is an authorized dealer, if not-- no warranty!

lastly, using rules-of-thumb to proportion budget to specific pieces in the system to get a "match" only makes sense if you plan on using that system as an exit strategy- that is, no upgrades. otherwise, all of the pieces in your system hit their expiration date, so to speak, at the same time, and they will all need to be upgraded together. buy for what you will need/want 1-2 years down the road, and buy what you really want, not something you'll settle for- it's cheaper in the long run, and you will have enjoyed them for the extra time you've had them/it....

i say 'go for it', and reward the dealer who provided value to you, by providing a demo of the gear, so you would actually know whether you like them or not.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
i say 'go for it', and reward the dealer who provided value to you, by providing a demo of the gear, so you would actually know whether you like them or not.

x2. I think we've gotten so obsessed with the greatest deal possible as a society, that we've forgot about the people who help us make our decision. (the dealers) Dealers don't get paid to show you product so you can buy it elswehere, and if too many people do go elsewhere to save a buck, the dealer won't be there any more for you to go to. (which is happening all across the US now) Besides, that is about the cheapest price you could find them and probably right at cost. Not that the original poster was even saying this, this is more in reference to the responses.

Also, after hearing the Denon 7000's  this weekend, I'm looking for a pair myself. (which is why I stumbled upon this thread) They are very nice and made exceptionally well with a very seductive sound. On a side note, the 5000's weren't hugely different in sound although not quite as sexy with the satin laquered wood instead. I'm in love with the leather earpads in eather case. Good luck! 

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 46
It seems new ones go for the same sort of price but you are buying from a B&M store with all of the advantages of that. Also you have had the burn in period taken care of for you. I must admit if it were me and I wanted these I would buy the demo model from a local source you can always go back to if problems arise. Also you are supporting local business!

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 46
Right now they're selling on Amazon for $678.46, new, free shipping and no tax. If the dealer has the original packaging, a very nice satin lined box, and will part with them for $625 INCLUDING tax, go for it. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 46
You went into the store used his gear and now for the same price you want to buy on Amazon. Brick and Mortar stores provide a service buy them from the guy. If he did not show them to you you would never known about them.Do what's right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back