Denon 5000 and the MPX3 Slam Headphone Amplifier
May 20, 2008 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Beav

100+ Head-Fier
I've been told that the Denon 5000 is not a good match with a tube headphone amp. In fact the reason I may not be hearing the overbearing bass reported on the Denon's is that my tube amp is rolling off the low frequencies. Though I felt the sound coming from my 5000/MPX3 was superb I decided to check with the designer of the amplifier on this. Turns out this is only partly correct. It is not so much tube amplification but your tube compliment that is the key to running the Denon's effectively. Mikhail is sending me a set of 6BL7GT/GTA for the power slots and 2C51 for the driver. This he assures me will have the Denon singing on all cylinders
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 10
What were you running for output before? I'm using 5687 in my PPX3 SLAM, and I don't know how I feel with them driving D2000 right now. I'm gonna listen to a D5000 later today and see how they sound, but I've been preferring the Denon on my Heed Canamp and I haven't been able to figure out why. I love the SLAM with my Grado's and would assume that the 5687 can provide enough current for the Denon, but I don't know how current hungry they are. The 6BL7GT/GTA seems like one powerful tube.

May 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

What were you running for output before?

See my signature line under Electronics. I tried several 5687s but found the 6SN7's were the better tonally

May 21, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 10
I have a supra, but had 2 MPX3's

I think i share the OP's opinion on the 5687. They are more powerful than a 6sn7, but the overall SQ of the 6sn7 can easily best them if you dont need the extra power.

The 2c51 & 6bl7 combo is AMAZING. Really really a good pairing. I do prefer the 6sn7/6bl7 for my denons & R10 and the 2c51/6bl7 for senheissers, but this may have as much to do with my source as anything.

May 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 10
As an update to my earlier post... I'm liking the new D5000 much better on my PPX3 then on my Heed (as compared to the D2000). The SLAM (bass extension) combined with the more firmed up soundstage are alot more present on the SP then I noticed with the D2000 on the same amps. These cans are very current hungry, which was your point
smily_headphones1.gif
. Devices with integrated amplification sound really anemic on the D5000 IMHO. While I'm happy with 6GU7/5687 combo on my PPX3 for these cans, I'm not ready to jump to an Extreme yet. Would like to hear your impressions on the 6BL7 when get them.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 10
After receiving several 6BL7GTA's and two 2C51's; I am beginning my evaluation with the 6BL7GTA Sonotones in the power circuits and the CBS 2C51 tubes in the driver position. It was very clear from the moment I put on an electronic bass heavy CD that the 6SN7 ECC 33 Mullards were underpowering the Denon D5000 headphones. Not only in bass punch but in the undertones and ambient sounds that were present on this recording. I am however missing some tonal qualities with the Mullards I enjoyed. I will give the Sonotones and CBS tube a chance to burn in before experimenting with the RCA and Sylvania 6BL7GTA's and the Tungsol 2C51's.

In spending time listening to Particia Barber "Cafe Blue", which is a reference Jazz recording, with deep bass riffs, I still do not detect any overpowering, overblown or in anyway unbalanced bass frequency response with the Denons; same as I reported before with the 6SN7's in the power slots of the Singlepower amp. However from a purely technical standpoint, the Denon's seem to require the plate voltage of the 6BL7GTAs (max plate of 500V) as opposed to the ECC33 6SN7s (max plate of 300V) The Denon's now feel like the amp is in full control. I will need to experiment with the rest of the tubes to find out just how much play in tonal qualities I have with the more limited availability of the 6BL7's.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 10
the d5000 sound fantastic on the mpx3 slam se with 2c51 and 6bl7gta as well
as the 6bx7gta at output. the 2c51/396a/6385 has high gain and drives the
d5000 with ease. btw, the 6sn7gt/12sn7gt tungsol roundplates are great with
the d5000 as well.

for further refinement you should follow the "markl" mod for the d5000... it
increases the control and impact of the bass without the soft bottom and
adds further presence to the gorgeous mids...

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

it
increases the control and impact of the bass without the soft bottom and
adds further presence to the gorgeous mids...

Hopefully I'll be able to hear a d5000 with the Markl mod one of these days. About the only way I'd consider messing with the Denon is if I heard the "difference" and that "difference" impressed me
smily_headphones1.gif
I am about as happy as a headfi'er with amp and can, can be, at this point.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Whooops! I was going over Markl's mod steps when I came across the part about putting back on of the leather pads...based on the photo, mine were reversed! The thick part of the pad was in front, thin part in back. I'd had a problem with the pads falling off, but I thought I'd put them back on the way they came off; Sure enough, once I put them on per the photo...YIKES, major bass boost Batman
eek.gif
OK, so maybe I need to put this mod on the top of my headphone rig want list now
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey Guys,

I know this is a dormant thread, but I thought I'd report, since ya'll have helped me so much with your suggestions (and others doing research on Denon AH-D's vs. tube amps might benefit even just a little from yet another 6385 endorsement).

Ever since forever, back when all ya'll suggested a Bendix 6385, I've been trolling for one and finally, I was able to lock onto one... I'm running it with a pair of National Union 6BL7/GTA's and I can't tell ya how much better it sounds than the TungSol 2c51. I can't believe the difference.

It's much more precise, and clean--somebody's *wheezing* in my Solti-Talvela Beethoven's 9th--I can hear him/her in a part of the 4th movement; and though that kind of "extra" is a little annoying, it *is* an AD disc with all its' inherent imperfections made just a bit more tolerable now because the hiss is reduced, notwithstanding the new "lifelike-you-are-there" inclusion of this extra 'detail'. The mids and highs are clear, strong, defined and *clean*. This Bendix is to the TS 2c51 what a Mullard EE32 is to a Russian tube... when the conductor's turning pages, and it's not like ya couldn't hear it before, but on some of the recordings, the clarity is just amazing. I can't even begin to describe a piano solo. Bass seems to be untouched; maybe just a hair "stronger" only because I can crank the volume even higher without that "Russian" sound from the TS 2c51's. Incredible. Yeow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back