Denon 370 or. NAD 241i
May 5, 2002 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Aong

Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase either Denon 370 or. NAD 521i in the near future, and have got it down to these two (after much searching on the board). Any opions which i should get (the NAD 521i is only $US50 more than the Denon).

I did a search, but it seems that the NAD gets a lot more recommendation recently, but the denon is an 'old favourite'. True?

anyone opionions?

edit: BIG typing mistake in the title

May 5, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 11
The Denon is definitely an old favorite! When I bought my AMC CD8b, the Denon 370 was the contender. I guess the reason at that time that I went with the AMC was that it was a single disc player, and that's what I wanted.

Sorry, I'm no help!

May 6, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 11
The Denon would be an excellent choice for the money. I used to own one and loved it. Plus you get HDCD as a bonus. Never had a problem with it.

May 6, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 11
I have the Denon 370, but I've owned several similar or better CDPs (Arcam, NAD, Marantz, etc.) Also, I'm assuming you mean the NAD 541.

Here's the deal, the 541 will sound more detailed and more refined than the DCM-370. Its got a better DAC and more stable single transport. The 370 has a nice warm sound and is no sonic slouch, but it's an older 20-bit DAC and a 5 disc transport, which will never be as good as a single disc mechanism.

That said, the Denon 370 makes a great choice for head-fi because you can play multiple discs in shuffle mode, it has a digital out for future DAC upgrades (like an MSB Link III!), and VERY IMPORTANTLY.. it has a variable output that gives you remote control of the volume level!

Both are fine, if the remote & multi disc aren't important then the NAD is better choice. Cambridge & Arcam make good CDPs in this range also. Good luck!

May 6, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 11
As A denon 370 owner, I must say...go with the NAD

Seriously though, Get the 541, and not the other model you mentioned. It has HDCD capabilities.

Or...

You could get a nice transport and an art DIO
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks all!

I think imight just settle for the Denon 370, the main reason being the price (half the price of the NAD 541i, and im on a student budget)

Now i just need to order a pair of seenheiser HD600's, and start saving for a nice amp

May 6, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 11
oh yer, will the headphone output of the denon be bearable though the HD600s, while i save up for the amp? If not, i might just spend the money elsewhere for now, and get the headphones and amp together

oh, i just noticed i made a typing error. I mean the NAD 521i. Dammit! that was a very large typing mistake

May 7, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I used a HD 600 with the headphone out of a Denon 370 briefly. It didn't sound as nice as it did when it was voiced by a MG Head DT (original version), but to my ears the difference was not night and day. The 370's headphone out would definitely be bearable until you can get an amp.

May 7, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 11
The 370 has plenty of gain and "handling" the HD600 is not a problem, volume wise. A dedicated headamp would be better but the for temporary use, the 370 headout should be alrite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back