Denon 1001 or JVC RX900, which to get?
Nov 14, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 20
RX900, and mod them.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to decide between getting Denon 1001K or JVC HA-RX900 headphones?

What is your source, a PC or iPod or what? And what amp will you be using, or won't you be using one? And what kind of music do you listen to, or is this purchase for some other use like gaming or movies?

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 20
It depends on your taste. If you want big soundstage (left to right but not much depth) and a relax darker sound then go with the RX900 but If you like more focus soundstage (smaller than the RX900 but not too small) with clean and clear sound and good dynamics then go with the Denon.

I had both and already sold the RX900. I ma selling 2 D1000 (Check the for sale forum if you like) also but jsut to upgrade to the much more expensive Audio Technica ESW10.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your source, a PC or iPod or what? And what amp will you be using, or won't you be using one? And what kind of music do you listen to, or is this purchase for some other use like gaming or movies?

They will be used with my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and the CL Xtreme Gamer sound card in my PC.
I listen a lot to Sound scape/Newage on comcast cable, HD movies (Comcast HD, HD DVD & regular DVDs).

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on your taste. If you want big soundstage (left to right but not much depth) and a relax darker sound then go with the RX900 but If you like more focus soundstage (smaller than the RX900 but not too small) with clean and clear sound and good dynamics then go with the Denon.

I had both and already sold the RX900. I ma selling 2 D1000 (Check the for sale forum if you like) also but jsut to upgrade to the much more expensive Audio Technica ESW10.

I did order the JVCs HA-RX900s from Buy.com, but after 55 hours they had not processed my order, so I canceled, I can get the Denon 1001s new for under $100 (mail order).
With black Friday coming up, I guess I should see if a local place has one or the other on sale.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I did order the JVCs HA-RX900s from Buy.com, but after 55 hours they had not processed my order, so I canceled, I can get the Denon 1001s new for under $100 (mail order).
With black Friday coming up, I guess I should see if a local place has one or the other on sale.

You already own the AD500. What changes or improvements from the AD500 are you wanting with this upgrade? Black Friday also applies to online shopping. ~$65 shipped is a good price for the RX900, and <$85 shipped is a good price for the D1001. Each of these can be modded for improvement. I suspect you may prefer the D1001 without additional amping.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 20
I realize I'm kinda late getting to your post, but the RX900 and D1001 are the two headphones I've bought since hanging out at these forums. Both are excellent for the money, but for New Age kinda music, I give the nod to the D1001. They're better suited to "laid back" music, while the RX900 is better for music with more forward sound.
I bought the D1001 first, and the RX900 second. If I'd gotten the RX900 first, I probably wouldn't have gotten the D1001. The RX900 has more "wow" factor to it, while the D1001 are very close in SQ to my Optimus Pro 25s, yet more highly detailed. Both the D1001 and RX900 get used regularly.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

You already own the AD500. What changes or improvements from the AD500 are you wanting with this upgrade? Black Friday also applies to online shopping. ~$65 shipped is a good price for the RX900, and <$85 shipped is a good price for the D1001. Each of these can be modded for improvement. I suspect you may prefer the D1001 without additional amping.

I do have some $20 Philips closed headphones which are ok
I live in an apartment building near the rail road tracks, so I get a lot of outside noise while using my Audio Technica AD500 "OPEN" headphones.
I'm just trying to expand my music experiance with other headphones.
My Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and Infinity Beta 40s, 20s, C360 and Outlaw subwoofer are turning me into a future Audiophile.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

I live in an apartment building near the rail road tracks, so I get a lot of outside noise while using my Audio Technica AD500 "OPEN" headphones.

So wouldn't you be interested in buying headphones that isolate better, blocks external sounds from being heard, or is that not so much of a concern?

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

So wouldn't you be interested in buying headphones that isolate better, blocks external sounds from being heard, or is that not so much of a concern?

Are you talking about noise cancellation headphones?
I have no interest in the those kind.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Are you talking about noise cancellation headphones?
I have no interest in the those kind.

No, noise canceling headphones are not needed to successfully block out external noise. Just trying to get a feel for how important it is for your headphones to block out external noise, isolate.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

No, noise canceling headphones are not needed to successfully block out external noise. Just trying to get a feel for how important it is for your headphones to block out external noise, isolate.

They do not have to be that good at blocking external noises.
My $20 Philips SHP2500 block external noise good enough for me.
As the Denon 1001Ks are now about the same price as the JVC RX900s.
It's getting harder to decide.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 20
How about you invest in making your listening room soundproof?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back