Dennon AHD-1001 or spend more and get HFI-780?
Aug 15, 2008 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

b00tang

Head-Fier
Alright I've spent a couple days and read all I could now I'm gong to just ask:
Should I get the Dennon 1001 or spend more for ultrasone HFI-780s? This will be my first set of cans and I am going to use them at work (source is an imac or iphone, I could buy an amp eventually for the imac if need be but I would like to be able to use the headphones with out an amp) instead of my IEMs (I have vibes right now which I am reasonably happy with and will probably keep using for portable until they break). I think the main draw of cans is that then I won't be shoving something in my ear all the time, so I'm shooting for the comfort to be a step up.

Music wise I listen to most types but specifically: hardcore (metal), hip-hop, classical guitar, some indie, and some trance

I've seen so many great things about the 1001s but for some reason I'm just not that excited about them... they seem like the trustworthy minivan of headphones to me, I'm sure they would be a good choice but I'm just not pumped about them.

On the other hand I think the HFI-780s are exciting but I fear they would be like the impractical sports car (sorry about the car analogy) and would be a bigger risk. I'm open to the idea of cabling them later, I like that they are supposed to have a bit more of an edgy sound, they look amazing, and I am interested in stepping up to the $150+ range as opposed to the sub $100 range.

Anyone who has owned both (or one) and can comment? I am definitely leaning towards spending the extra cash and getting the ultrasones, but do you think I will be happy with them? Are they way less comfortable? Do they sound much better? Is there something more I should be worrying about as a noob to cans?

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 12
as a noobie, i wouldn't worry too much. Id get the cheaper one and base my future purchases from there. Since the denons are popular in headfi, i'm sure youll be able to get plenty of advice upgrading for more of whatever sound you want. Starting with the 780 is fine also but since none of them are really technically better than each other, (just different signatures), i would go for the cheaper cans.

The denons are $150 msrp while the 780s a little more so youre in the same technical ballpark. If anyone feels strongly that I am wrong in making this assumption, please correct me.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 12
The D1001s are around $80ish here in the states.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 12
so does MSRP actually mean much, i've seen the hfi-780s MSRP listed at $279 (although just like the d1001s i would expect to pay considerably less through norther sound).

Also although I'm new to fullsize headphones I wouldn't say I'm an all around noob, I'm definitely looking for a step up from the $100 IEM range. I'm shooting for cans that will keep me satisfied for awhile so that the next purchase after them can be an IEM upgrade.

I guess my main question is about your last comment: did you try both d1001s and hfi-780s and find them to be pretty similar?

Thanks for the help so far!

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 12
The biggest difference between those 2 is the isolation, HFI-780 has good isolation, D1001 has no isolation. So the question you need to ask yourself is how important isolation is to you.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 12
hmmm well I work in a noisy lab (pumps always running 24/7 right by my desk) so isolation might be a big deal. Coming from IEMs I don't usually worry to much about isolation because they have always handled isolation for me fine. Hearing that the D1001s have "almost none" makes me pretty nervous.
I'm still amazed though that no one thinks there is any difference between the 80$ D1001s and the twice as expensive HFI-780 (which I have also seen gain a huge benefit from recabling) besides isolation. Does that mean they are pretty much identical in quality and I need to decide if isolation and appearance are worth an extra 80 bucks?

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Has anybody actually heard both of these headphones?
What is the meaning of claiming both in the same technical ballpark anyway if you haven't heard both headphones?

I think you can get D1000 in the States around $80 now and HFI780 around $160. Both are touted to be excellent choice in their price range.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 12
I said same technical ballpark because I am pretty sure that these are not gonna be his last pair of cans if he hangs out here. At these prices, i feel getting the tonality that one wants is more important than the refinement that one gets from getting technically better cans so the OP should just get whichever one then decide from there if his next upgrade for refinement will be of the same signature or a different one.

b00tang
If you plan on keeping any of these for long, just decide if you want more isolation or more comfort IMO. Soundsig wise its hard to recommend to someone without a benchmark of what he wants since these are both supposedly good at what they try to do. You just have to listen to them and see which sound suits you best. My recommendation is to buy both and keep the one you like more

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Alright, I pulled the trigger and ordered the ultrasones based on advice here and in other threads. I think the extra isolation will pay off and as donunus said, these probably won't be my last pair of cans so if I am not thrilled after burn in I can just sell them and get the 1001s.

I saw a good thread comparing the 780s to the D2000 and and I think that sold me on the 780s (although I worry that I may end up tempted to recable). I'll put a post up with my impressions in two weeks or so... although unless I also grab the d1001s I still won't be able to answer the question i the title of the thread.

Thanks again for the advice!

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 12
The 780s take time to burn-in and never seem to settle till you recable. The stock cable is sub-par. I'm not a big fan of the 780s but they become much more listenable, IMO, after recabling and that is from hearing the difference from a number of 780s. If you want edgy then you chose the right headphone. The D100x are very good headphone for the price and is my preference of the two. They are more refined and scale up pretty well with quality sources. They also are light, comfortable and look pretty cool to boot.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 780s take time to burn-in and never seem to settle till you recable. The stock cable is sub-par. I'm not a big fan of the 780s but they become much more listenable, IMO, after recabling and that is from hearing the difference from a number of 780s. If you want edgy then you chose the right headphone. The D100x are very good headphone for the price and is my preference of the two. They are more refined and scale up pretty well with quality sources. They also are light, comfortable and look pretty cool to boot.

Agree 100%. I also prefered the Denons. The 780's are alright after allowing them to burn in, but I just prefered the Denons. Very hard to beat them for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back