DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Mar 20, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #646 of 1,025
3.. 2 in the front and 1 in the back.

Hi John,

Just to add ... fixed and sharply pointed .. pita to place but glad only once cos had not left my rack for last many moons since purchased with the new board when released.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #647 of 1,025
funy that most people prefer the sound of the new Firmware ! I did the upgrade and then found the sound then too bass heavy. I had to return to the old firmware to be happy with what I hear !

-->
AM I THE ONLY ONE ??
Where I can find the version of firmware?

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #648 of 1,025
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #649 of 1,025
Deleted - Alvin was able to fix my issue with a firmware update.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #652 of 1,025
Hi All, the Terminator has been out for a number of years and seemingly endeared itself to a very loyal following. I'm wondering how it stacks up today against the Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE or the incredibly measuring Holo Audio May L2. These DACs would definitely have been designed with Terminator toppling in mind as King of the Hill R2R in this price category. I'm genuinely interested as I'm in the market for an upgrade. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out with their experience with these DACs.

May 1, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #653 of 1,025
Alvin just emailed me, apparently terminator has a new dsp board (v3 board).

"Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you
Lets call this latest DSP as BGA-DSP. It has various improvements over the previous one:
- Intel Altera Cyclone IV FPGA with more IOs
- Improved PCB layout
- Improved components, i.e. ROE caps from Germany
Here's my take:
1. If you own and are happy with the current DSP board now, you do not need to upgrade. The high res support (PCM1536/DSD1024) and functions are exactly the same compared to the BGA-DSP.
2. But as all audiophiles, we are OCD, we are perfectionists, we like to try new things. That's the fun part of our hobby. The BGA-DSP is inexpensive (we subsidised heavily on the DSP board offer), it could be fun to play with it. We certainly need more toys at this strange time since we have unusually more time at home :)"

May 1, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #654 of 1,025
Hi All, the Terminator has been out for a number of years and seemingly endeared itself to a very loyal following. I'm wondering how it stacks up today against the Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE or the incredibly measuring Holo Audio May L2. These DACs would definitely have been designed with Terminator toppling in mind as King of the Hill R2R in this price category. I'm genuinely interested as I'm in the market for an upgrade. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out with their experience with these DACs.

Feel free for holo owners to chime in. But I don't think holo is at terminator level.. esp with dsp v2.

May 1, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #655 of 1,025

Lets call this latest DSP as BGA-DSP. It has various improvements over the previous one:
- Improved PCB layout
Here's my take:
1. If you own and are happy with the current DSP board now, you do not need to upgrade. The high res support (PCM1536/DSD1024) and functions are exactly the same compared to the BGA-DSP.
2. But as all audiophiles, we are OCD, we are perfectionists, we like to try new things. That's the fun part of our hobby. The BGA-DSP is inexpensive (we subsidised heavily on the DSP board offer), it could be fun to play with it. We certainly need more toys at this strange time since we have unusually more time at home :)"

Is it a NEW-NEW DSP board ? I already upgraded my DSP board For 300$ LAST JULY ?

May 1, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #656 of 1,025
Well then...
- consider its coming from gas savings from this quarantine
- and treat it as an anniversary gift for this July

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #657 of 1,025
Is it a NEW-NEW DSP board ? I already upgraded my DSP board For 300$ LAST JULY ?
Technology never sleeps and not necessarily always better! 😉
Guttenberg has a review on YouTube that when offered the new board, preferred the one that came with the unit, not the upgrade. Claimed it took away some of the analog magic that he was so blown away with. Alvin is quite upfront with these upgrades, different but not necessarily always subjectively better, YMMV.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #658 of 1,025

- Improved PCB layout
Here's my take:

Hey Smod,

Cool and thanks ... din know.

Since bought into Denafrips Terminator ownership, I will trust and support its designer's voicing and small/very reasonable investment of 300 to hear it for myself if any change suits my system and ears ... had contacted Alvin to pick up mine asap.

Unless cost reduction efforts which I doubt, I am a proponent to err on "the latest and greatest" .. a bit different from bro daytrader.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #659 of 1,025
Hey Smod,

Cool and thanks ... din know.

Since bought into Denafrips Terminator ownership, I will trust and support its designer's voicing and small/very reasonable investment of 300 to hear it for myself if any change suits my system and ears ... had contacted Alvin to pick up mine asap.

Unless cost reduction efforts which I doubt, I am a proponent to err on "the latest and greatest" .. a bit different from bro daytrader.

Cheers.

Richard
Hi Richard.
Yeah, so $300 is not that much when taking into account the cost of the Terminator. So hey, why not? One can always go back to stock. But I would give the original board a few days break in, to get a good feel for the sound that impressed so many if you haven’t done so yet. Then report back the differences you hear if any, as I’m sure many would be interested.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #660 of 1,025
Hi,

I have had the opportunity of comparing the Terminator with the Holo Audio Spring 2 Level 3.
The Terminator has had the V3 DSP board since mid March (see pic). I also compared both DACs in my setup with a Rega RP10 and Alpheta 3 MC cartridge.
My setup consisted of Antipodes EX music server running Roon feeding both DACs (USB) which were connected to a Plinius Haratonga integrated Amp running Spendor D7 speakers.
The Rega feed a Plinius Koru preamp. I would consider the overall system to neutral, not overly lean or warm.

Observations
To me, both DACs sounded best in NOS mode, most of my listening has been done using 16/44.1k with some 24/96k, 24,192k and DSD.
Both DACs have generally similar sound signatures in terms of tone and "PRAT".
There are differences:
1. The staging on the Spring 2 was deeper and with greater space in front of and behind the performers, and the rendering is further back. The Terminator renders the performers closer almost unnaturally so. The stage width was the same for both DACS.
2. The Terminator has a greater bass presence, however, there was less control and some detail was lost relative to the Spring V2. Both units are not lean in the terms of bass performance.
3. Comparing both DACS to the Rega, the vocals on the Terminator appears to have a slight warmth or a colouration that's not present in the Spring V2, it is subtle but noticeable. Also the Terminator displays a slight harshness, particularly on female vocals.
4. Finally, the Spring V2 renders micro details better than the Terminator in my system.

These differences are not huge, but distinguishable in my system. Other systems will behave differently.
I could live with both DACs, but as a consequence of all my comparisons, the Spring stays and Terminator will looking for a new home :)

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back