DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jun 25, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #391 of 1,025
I just received my Terminator equipped with the new DSP board, and I have been using it in NOS mode by sending upsampled PCM1536 files via USB input, and the new DSP board does a great job getting them processed.

Hi Elan

So you are up/oversampling prior to the Termy, then listening in NOS mode.

So I suppose in that mode of playback, you don't need the following quality of the DSP board that Alvin mentioned above: "4. PCM playback in OS mode upsampled internally to highest sampling rate, i.e. 1.536MHz."

Do you know where the DSP board is within the architecture of the Terminator?
Does it process/prepare all signals as they comes in to the Terminator before the files are sent on to the DAC section of the Terminator?

James

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #392 of 1,025
So I suppose in that mode of playback, you don't need the following quality of the DSP board that Alvin mentioned above: "4. PCM playback in OS mode upsampled internally to highest sampling rate, i.e. 1.536MHz."
Correct, this feature is only used in OS mode where Terminator will upsample all PCM files to PCM1536.

Do you know where the DSP board is within the architecture of the Terminator?
Does it process/prepare all signals as they comes in to the Terminator before the files are sent on to the DAC section of the Terminator?
Below is the old architecture from user's manual, the new DSP board will have STM32F446 Advanced AMR Based MCU replacing Amanero USB i2s. I am not aware of any input changes for i2S, coax, AES, and OPT other than new firmware in FPGA located on the new DSP board.

upload_2019-6-25_12-15-35.png

New DSP board:
4b933e_43f0414368c242fd9b80e356e76feea4~mv2_d_1920_1475_s_2.webp

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #394 of 1,025
So do you upsample externally rather than within the DAC for SQ reasons?

I have been using HQPlayer for few years with very good result, and the new version 4 is another significant notch forward in my system. I have not compare HQPlayer with the new Terminator DSP upsampling, but the flexibility and upgradability of HQPlayer is difficult to let go. My speculation for SQ is, HQPlayer will be more to my liking based on what I have compared in the past.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #395 of 1,025
So do you use the Lumin to stream from the net, then send that to the Singxer to convert to USB and into the Termy?
The setup I like now (might change next week) is Lumin U1 USB > Singxer SU-6 hdmi out> Termy hdmi in (I2s), no upsampling. The Lumin can upsample everything to DSD256 but I don't use it, non-sampling sounds so natural and real to me with air in the room that I love. I go back and forth between Tidal & Qobuz (using Lumin), I like the sound of Qobuz but the selection of Tidal. Out of all the inputs (which has a nice selection of inputs) I like the I2s the most, I can't and won't go into all the combinations I've listen to. This will all change when I get the new board soon, I will start with the Lumin USB going right into the Termy and go from there.

Jun 26, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #396 of 1,025
The setup I like now (might change next week) is Lumin U1 USB > Singxer SU-6 hdmi out> Termy hdmi in (I2s), no upsampling. The Lumin can upsample everything to DSD256 but I don't use it, non-sampling sounds so natural and real to me with air in the room that I love. I go back and forth between Tidal & Qobuz (using Lumin), I like the sound of Qobuz but the selection of Tidal. Out of all the inputs (which has a nice selection of inputs) I like the I2s the most, I can't and won't go into all the combinations I've listen to. This will all change when I get the new board soon, I will start with the Lumin USB going right into the Termy and go from there.
Hi Pete,
Please keep us updated of what u feel. I am thinking of dumping my Gustard u16 for SU6 but am holding till I get the new DSP board as advised by Alvin. Thank you. I am running Zenith Mk 2 BTW with the soTm trifecta.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #398 of 1,025
Lumin U1 USB > Singxer SU-6 hdmi out> Termy hdmi in (I2s), no upsampling. The Lumin can upsample everything to DSD256 but I don't use it, non-sampling sounds so natural and real to me with air in the room that I love. I go back and forth between Tidal & Qobuz (using Lumin), I like the sound of Qobuz but the selection of Tidal. Out of all the inputs (which has a nice selection of inputs) I like the I2s the most, I can't and won't go into all the combinations I've listen to. This will all change when I get the new board soon
Thanks Pete.
I use Tidal only controlled with the dCS Mosaic app (which is pretty basic and lacks artist info), no Roon, no Audirvana or HQP.
I'd love to try up/oversampling, but don't want the complexity and expense (and carbon footprint) of Roon.
I will listen to the Terminator at the NW Audio Show in the UK this weekend.
If I get a Terminator I would start with spdif, then get single or dual AES cables.
But getting a Terminator and knowing that it probably works best with I2S would create a pressure to sell my beloved dCS Network Bridge and get a W4S server...

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #399 of 1,025
Hey guys I just recently got my Terminator and bloody love the thing. By far the best dac I've heard to date. For those of you who have used the SU-6 did you notice a drastic enough difference to justify its added cost? I hear I2S is the best as far as sound quality goes, but just wondering if it is a very noticable difference. Thanks

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #400 of 1,025
Hey guys I just recently got my Terminator and bloody love the thing. By far the best dac I've heard to date. For those of you who have used the SU-6 did you notice a drastic enough difference to justify its added cost? I hear I2S is the best as far as sound quality goes, but just wondering if it is a very noticable difference. Thanks

Yes I use a SU-6 with the Terminator and consider it essential; i2s is brighter than other inputs but more provides better soundstage and may be slightly more resolving into my AHB2.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #401 of 1,025
Hi Dan,
I would recommend it. The sound is more expansive with a DDC. Get a good HDMI cable, not too ex, personally am using AQ Chocolate. Heard the DH labs HDMI Silver sonic is also a good bet.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #402 of 1,025
Thanks guys I really appreciate that info. Looks like I will be going after an SU-6

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #404 of 1,025
As far as I know it does have the new board. When I ordered it they had me wait an extra 3 weeks because of its release. So I am assuming it did come with the new board.

So you are saying that the new board could potentially have the USB performance on the same level as I2S?

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #405 of 1,025
As far as I know it does have the new board. When I ordered it they had me wait an extra 3 weeks because of its release. So I am assuming it did come with the new board.

So you are saying that the new board could potentially have the USB performance on the same level as I2S?

I also received my Terminator earlier last week with the new DSP board, and is going through burn-in process still. Although I have not had a chance to compare I2S vs. USB input ports, since my preference is sending upsampled signal to the DAC via HQPlayer, and set the DAC to NOS mode, I have only been using USB input since there is no DDC currently on the markt supports PCB1536/DSD1024 rates, I plan to hold off on DDC for a while.

Meanwhile, I might take some time to compare I2S by using my current DDC, a modified SU-1 with lower input rates just to see if there is noticeable difference between them, but for the time being, I am very much enjoy the DAC using USB input, and not (yet) feeling there is anything lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back