DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #106 of 1,025
Wow thats it? Thats pretty impressive. So it didn't sound better 1-2 days later?

I think it only sounded better after the 3-4 hours of warm up. Personally I didn't hear other such changes.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #108 of 1,025
Leave it on 24/7.

when you turn the Terminator off, it goes into stand-by mode, with a little light on. I guess this is to kept it warm ? But I agree, despite this it really need warm-up.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #109 of 1,025
when you turn the Terminator off, it goes into stand-by mode, with a little light on. I guess this is to kept it warm ? But I agree, despite this it really need warm-up.

Thats cool.

They should make a DAC heater to heat up dacs so they get to thermal stability faster. lol

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #110 of 1,025
I'm almost a week in and the first 3 to 4 days changed quite a bit. Started out kinda wooly and then opened up. Not as much change the last couple of days, but wouldn't be surprised if it continues to settle in a bit more. Also worth noting that the Terminator is power cable sensitive. With a Shunyata Viper it sounded too clinical. Believe it of not, it's sounding excellent using a Pangea 14XL MKII. I have a full loom of Wireworld Electra cables on the way.

I'm a Yggdrasil A2 convert and an very pleased with the Terminator. Yggy for sale!

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #111 of 1,025
I'm almost a week in and the first 3 to 4 days changed quite a bit. Started out kinda wooly and then opened up. Not as much change the last couple of days, but wouldn't be surprised if it continues to settle in a bit more. Also worth noting that the Terminator is power cable sensitive. With a Shunyata Viper it sounded too clinical. Believe it of not, it's sounding excellent using a Pangea 14XL MKII. I have a full loom of Wireworld Electra cables on the way.

I'm a Yggdrasil A2 convert and an very pleased with the Terminator. Yggy for sale!

How much better is terminator over Yggy2 ?

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #112 of 1,025
How much better is terminator over Yggy2 ?
I personally find the Yggy (both versions) very resolving and dynamic, but unfortunately, I’ve always found it fatiguing. The Terminator is also very resolving and dynamic, but the timbre is more accurate and is much more natural sounding. The treble isn’t shoving itself in your face like the Yggy which I feel has a very aggressive attack and decay. I can listen to my system indefinitely now without fatigue which makes the Terminator MUCH better to me. Low volume listening is also much more enjoyable. The Terminator seems to bridge solid state and tube sounds very nicely - much like Wells Audio’s amps. The Terminator is well worth the difference in price from the Yggy to me.

It will boil down to sound signature preferences and system synergy.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #113 of 1,025
I personally find the Yggy (both versions) very resolving and dynamic, but unfortunately, I’ve always found it fatiguing. The Terminator is also very resolving and dynamic, but the timbre is more accurate and is much more natural sounding. The treble isn’t shoving itself in your face like the Yggy which I feel has a very aggressive attack and decay. I can listen to my system indefinitely now without fatigue which makes the Terminator MUCH better to me. Low volume listening is also much more enjoyable. The Terminator seems to bridge solid state and tube sounds very nicely - much like Wells Audio’s amps. The Terminator is well worth the difference in price from the Yggy to me.

It will boil down to sound signature preferences and system synergy.

How did you like Yggy fed into your Little dot?

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #114 of 1,025
Sep 4, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #115 of 1,025
Little Dot started malfunctioning right before I got the Yggy. I'll never know.
So you never ran yggy into a tube amp ?

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #116 of 1,025
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #117 of 1,025
I wonder how terminator compares to r2r7 and r2r 7HE.

I have a feeling the r2r 7HE could rival it.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #118 of 1,025
It's the first time I hear of the 7HE. Just googled it. Its Strange that it doesn't have AES input! I have experimented with aurender N10 to Denafrips Terminator with coax and AES, both outputs controlled by the N10's awesome OCXO clock. AES is a clear winner sonically (was an experiment with some friends not on my own).
I haven't heard the 7HE (which the thing that matters the most, how does it sound!!), but you can see some cost difference going into the finish quality. The denafrips chassis, ports and internals "look" superior. Also DHL shipping is included with Denafrips price tag of 4k USD. Maybe I'm just justifying to myself the cost difference :) if anyone has heard them both, please let us know of your opinion.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #119 of 1,025
It's the first time I hear of the 7HE. Just googled it. Its Strange that it doesn't have AES input! I have experimented with aurender N10 to Denafrips Terminator with coax and AES, both outputs controlled by the N10's awesome OCXO clock. AES is a clear winner sonically (was an experiment with some friends not on my own).
I haven't heard the 7HE (which the thing that matters the most, how does it sound!!), but you can see some cost difference going into the finish quality. The denafrips chassis, ports and internals "look" superior. Also DHL shipping is included with Denafrips price tag of 4k USD. Maybe I'm just justifying to myself the cost difference :) if anyone has heard them both, please let us know of your opinion.

So terminator is 4250 USD
R2R 7HE is 3500 + shipping

So you make a good point that they start to get within striking distance of eachother. Probably still about $600 more for terminator and if 7HE can rival it then its definitely the better buy (especially from more well established company).

But ya maybe terminator is better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back