Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #976 of 1,787
no, the pontus and hermes combo is phenomenal! I just had a unexpected problem with my house and need to make free some money... 🥴
Sorry to hear. I hope you are able to get things back in order quickly.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #978 of 1,787
Burn in officially complete :L3000:

DCA0E7A9-D200-4381-8C5D-F7925F52A316.jpeg

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #980 of 1,787
Excellent!

Was there actually a difference? I was unable to listen to mine.
I did notice a difference, it was gradual though. I would say it was probably 80-90% done by day 7 but I gave it a full 10 days. I use HQPlayer and when I first set it up I didn't notice much of a difference between playing native files on NOS mode and oversampling in HQP, feeding Iris / Pontus II DSD256 (native files playing in NOS mode actually had a slight edge to my ears in the beginning, not as smooth but more musical). Once it burned in that changed and oversampling to DSD256 in HQP was the clear winner. Everything just opened up and sounded rich and full around day 5 or 6.

Is some of this confirmation bias, probably but I doubt burn in is 100% in our heads. All I know is I am very happy with the sound. I may even hold onto my Singxer SA-1 for a while longer. The synergy is pretty nice (and it stacks well on top of the Iris)

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #981 of 1,787
I did notice a difference, it was gradual though. I would say it was probably 80-90% done by day 7 but I gave it a full 10 days. I use HQPlayer and when I first set it up I didn't notice much of a difference between playing native files on NOS mode and oversampling in HQP, feeding Iris / Pontus II DSD256 (native files playing in NOS mode actually had a slight edge to my ears in the beginning, not as smooth but more musical). Once it burned in that changed and oversampling to DSD256 in HQP was the clear winner. Everything just opened up and sounded rich and full around day 5 or 6.

Is some of this confirmation bias, probably but I doubt burn in is 100% in our heads. All I know is I am very happy with the sound. I may even hold onto my Singxer SA-1 for a while longer. The synergy is pretty nice (and it stacks well on top of the Iris)
Excellent. Same here. I need to get a better stream, but happy right now.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #982 of 1,787
Has anyone compared a Pontus II to a Bifrost 2?

Thinking that's the move as my next upgrade now that I got my WA22.

Mar 7, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #983 of 1,787
Well, interesting day. I took my P2 over to a friends house to listen on his system. I have a hard time hearing a difference between my Matrix mini and P2. However, there finally is a clear difference between my Matrix and My P2/GSX. It has just started getting better and honestly I attribute that more to the amp. The DAC had 300 hours on it when I got the amp, and now 5 days later with amp its clearly better.

Anyway, Blusound, Cambridge Audio, Denafrips, Matrix... long story short... the P2 was clearly better, easily identified, every time. No matter how it was hooked up. It was richer, more texture, more weight. Bass responce was clearly better. And it was better in the same way I think my amp is better at home. The Matrix is actually close. In between P2 and Cambridge... but clearly my P2 is contributing more with the GSX that I thought. Neither of us at anytime could tell a difference between OS/NOS.

Fun day...

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #984 of 1,787
Has anyone compared a Pontus II to a Bifrost 2?

Thinking that's the move as my next upgrade now that I got my WA22.

Also interested in anyone who’s done this transition, looking for a worthy upgrade from my Bifrost.

Also, would a DDC like Hermes have a noticeable effect if only using digital coax for the input? Source is a Bluesound Node 2i.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #985 of 1,787
Also interested in anyone who’s done this transition, looking for a worthy upgrade from my Bifrost.

Also, would a DDC like Hermes have a noticeable effect if only using digital coax for the input? Source is a Bluesound Node 2i.
This is my question. I have no doubt that a DDC will fix the noise from a computer but what about the Bluesound Node?? I may get one at some point to review on my YT channel. Hopefully someone beats me to this so I know if I'm wasting $$ or not.

Chibs

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #986 of 1,787
This is my question. I have no doubt that a DDC will fix the noise from a computer but what about the Bluesound Node?? I may get one at some point to review on my YT channel. Hopefully someone beats me to this so I know if I'm wasting $$ or not.

Chibs
Had to dig it up but here is a post at ASR that seems to indicate I2S is negligible if you are already using a streamer. Obviously a lot of variables here and this wasn’t a Hermes or a Node so YMMV. I noticed an immediate improvement with the Iris but my source is a M1 Mini.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ustard-x16-owners-feedback.20055/post-1069182

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #987 of 1,787
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #988 of 1,787
Unless I misunderstood that post, he's talking about using i2s, not a DDC.
I guess I should have re-read the post. My bad.

From my understanding, it has been discussed but that was not the post I should have linked, is that a DDC will be more beneficial if you are using a computer as a source. There’s not much benefit is you are already using a streamer (unless your streamer is particularly noisy, or you are using an old DAC with a sub-par clock).

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #989 of 1,787
Hello peeps,

Just wondering if anyone here keeps their Pontus/venus/terminator dacs on all the time. I will turn it off every once in a while when i am gone for a few days but for day to day use, i leave it on. Is that safe? The reason i ask is because my other dac, Schiit Yggdrasil, is recommended to keep powered on. Unlike the yggy, the pontus 2 has a power button up front so turning on/off is a breeze.

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #990 of 1,787
Hello peeps,

Just wondering if anyone here keeps their Pontus/venus/terminator dacs on all the time. I will turn it off every once in a while when i am gone for a few days but for day to day use, i leave it on. Is that safe? The reason i ask is because my other dac, Schiit Yggdrasil, is recommended to keep powered on. Unlike the yggy, the pontus 2 has a power button up front so turning on/off is a breeze.
Yo,

I have it on 24/7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back