Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #946 of 1,798
Well, everyone talks about the mini-i pro 3 as a "true" preamp. I finally got confirmation straight from MA that the analog in is digitized before analog output. Not that anyone cares... But it sure explains why the Pontus and mini sound the same. Nothing of the Pontus is making it thru... Which I suspected, because... Come on... Damn I wish my amp would hurry up so I could finally hear this!

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #947 of 1,798
Is anyone using their pontus/pontus ii for movies or gaming as well as music? I run my system from my pc and tend to do a bit of everything as the mood strikes me. Is the latency on the pontus going to be a challenge? I do run through the usb, which should help from what I understand. Would a iris DDC help or hurt the latency?
I sent this question through the vinshine website just about three days ago, but did not receive a response. I did get a promotional email :).

I’ve tried reaching out through PM here this morning, hopefully will know soon! I will share the answer.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #948 of 1,798
I sent this question through the vinshine website just about three days ago, but did not receive a response. I did get a promotional email :).

I’ve tried reaching out through PM here this morning, hopefully will know soon! I will share the answer.
Do you have Alvin's email? PM me...

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #950 of 1,798
I wonder if any of you tried DSD with Pontus using Foobar2000 and ASIO Proxy, I'm able to convert mp3 and flac into DSD512 on the fly, I haven't checked yet if there's a superior SQ but it could be an alternative to HQPlayer somehow

1646088380709.png
1646088514173.png

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #951 of 1,798
Yes, it will work, but why not PCM? It should sound better on R2R DAC. DSD Processor will also upsample to DSD, you don't need to install proxy driver and it is better to do heavy processing in the application than in device driver. I would use proxy driver only for a native DSD (with combination of DSD Processor).

There is PGGB plugin for Foobar. It is a real-time version of PGGB resampler. Set number of taps for ~30s delay on your PC (it will be only on the first track of your playlist), it is a top quality stuff. I tried the off-line version of PGGB on couple tracks, didn't try a plugin.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #952 of 1,798
I wonder if any of you tried DSD with Pontus using Foobar2000 and ASIO Proxy, I'm able to convert mp3 and flac into DSD512 on the fly, I haven't checked yet if there's a superior SQ but it could be an alternative to HQPlayer somehow

I’m still in my burn in period so I’ve mainly been listening on NOS mode, otherwise I’d be using HQP (at least that’s what I was doing on my previous DAC - Gustard X16) The magic in HQP is in the filters / modulators themselves, not just the upsampling on its own. I’m waiting until it’s broken in to start tinkering again but honestly it sounds so good using NOS (Pontus II & Iris over I2S) that I may not gravitate towards upsampling as much. It was a great way to fix the shortcomings of the X16, and it did a damn good job at it but this is damn near perfect sounding as is.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #953 of 1,798
Yes, it will work, but why not PCM? It should sound better on R2R DAC. DSD Processor will also upsample to DSD, you don't need to install proxy driver and it is better to do heavy processing in the application than in device driver. I would use proxy driver only for a native DSD (with combination of DSD Processor).

There is PGGB plugin for Foobar. It is a real-time version of PGGB resampler. Set number of taps for ~30s delay on your PC (it will be only on the first track of your playlist), it is a top quality stuff. I tried the off-line version of PGGB on couple tracks, didn't try a plugin.
Thank you so much!

I’m still in my burn in period so I’ve mainly been listening on NOS mode, otherwise I’d be using HQP (at least that’s what I was doing on my previous DAC - Gustard X16) The magic in HQP is in the filters / modulators themselves, not just the upsampling on its own. I’m waiting until it’s broken in to start tinkering again but honestly it sounds so good using NOS (Pontus II & Iris over I2S) that I may not gravitate towards upsampling as much. It was a great way to fix the shortcomings of the X16, and it did a damn good job at it but this is damn near perfect sounding as is.

Yeah, it sounds so good after the burn in / brain in period.... I wonder if you have the latest firmware, I noticed a jump in SQ instantly with it and it still has room for more improvement through firmware development.... Great device no doubt

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #954 of 1,798
I didn’t notice any SQ differences with burn in. The DAC comes with 100 hrs of burn in. I did notice a SQ difference with the firmware upgrade and I also found that the I2S configuration was different if I used Roons upsampling DSP. So I disabled the Roon Upsampling and have remained extremely happy with the Pontus II/Iris. I like the comment below of brain in, not burn in as I find it isn’t the equipment changing but my relationship with it that changes over time.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #956 of 1,798
Thank you so much!

Yeah, it sounds so good after the burn in / brain in period.... I wonder if you have the latest firmware, I noticed a jump in SQ instantly with it and it still has room for more improvement through firmware development.... Great device no doubt

I’ve got the latest FW on both Iris and Pontus (confirmed with Alvin before they shipped)

I’ve noticed a gradual improvement. I’m on day 7 and it sounds pretty solid.

(I’m wondering if I should trade up my SA-1 to a Kinki THR-1, you had both. Looks like you’ve been happy with the Kinki for awhile. Mind sharing your impressions on both amps with the Pontus?)

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #957 of 1,798
Well 11 straight days of burn in and I still have not even been able to hear it. Still waiting on my amp from stupid FedEx.
How frustrating. FedEx has become the joke of the shipping industry. In 8 months I have yet to receive anything from FedEx on time and they delivered an amp to me broken 3 times in a row. Here’s to your better luck than mine. Hope your Pontus arrives unscathed.

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #958 of 1,798
How frustrating. FedEx has become the joke of the shipping industry. In 8 months I have yet to receive anything from FedEx on time and they delivered an amp to me broken 3 times in a row. Here’s to your better luck than mine. Hope your Pontus arrives unscathed.
Geez... Supposedly my amp is out for delivery. I knew it missed my truck yesterday... But they still show being delivered... Until after the day when they finally say its late. I was going to take yesterday off, make arrangements ... I even called them... Just tell me it's late, you already know... No sir, it will be put on truck and delivered to you today.... Never even made it to my city... 24 hours it went to 3 places in Denver and ended the day further from me.🤬

I finally turned my Pontus off, it is completely burned in, have no idea what it sounds like.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #959 of 1,798
Geez... Supposedly my amp is out for delivery. I knew it missed my truck yesterday... But they still show being delivered... Until after the day when they finally say its late. I was going to take yesterday off, make arrangements ... I even called them... Just tell me it's late, you already know... No sir, it will be put on truck and delivered to you today.... Never even made it to my city... 24 hours it went to 3 places in Denver and ended the day further from me.🤬

I finally turned my Pontus off, it is completely burned in, have no idea what it sounds like.
Oh do I know that feeling and experience well. My last time was exactly that. They would text me out for delivery and then 5 minutes later text me delayed, then 5 minutes later text me delayed no delivery date pending. I’d call and they would say it is definitely on a truck for delivery. Nothing and then at 5pm I would get another text saying delayed due to weather. It hasn’t snowed in SLC for 6 weeks. This went on for 5 days until they finally showed for delivery, did not even knock and said they tried to deliver and no one was home. My wife and I were both home. They finally delivered the next day and absolutely destroyed the box. It was barely standing and broken. $3,000 amp. I completely understand your frustration.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #960 of 1,798
I’ve got the latest FW on both Iris and Pontus (confirmed with Alvin before they shipped)

I’ve noticed a gradual improvement. I’m on day 7 and it sounds pretty solid.

(I’m wondering if I should trade up my SA-1 to a Kinki THR-1, you had both. Looks like you’ve been happy with the Kinki for awhile. Mind sharing your impressions on both amps with the Pontus?)
How do we know what FW we have. I just got mine so I assume I'm up to date, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back