DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #3,346 of 3,907
I think my Jot2 is a good balance

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,347 of 3,907
I've been watching the Denafrips YT videos and have changed from OS Fast to OS Slow. I can't believe I am listening to the same DAC; the improvement in SQ is significant. Most of what was missing initially is now there.

Now, more listening to do...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #3,348 of 3,907
I've been watching the Denafrips YT videos and have changed from OS Fast to OS Slow. I can't believe I am listening to the same DAC; the improvement in SQ is incredible. Eveything that was missing initially is now there. Amazing! 😊

Now, more listening to do...
I hear no difference between any of those settings but I keep it on NOS fast

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,349 of 3,907
I hear no difference between any of those settings but I keep it on NOS fast
The filters are only active in OS mode.

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #3,351 of 3,907
The filters are only active in OS mode.
Yeah its just random! I just changed it again and I hear no difference, but I'm burning in power cables and some fuses so my system probably doesnt have the resolution yet.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #3,352 of 3,907
Yeah its just random! I just changed it again and I hear no difference, but I'm burning in power cables and some fuses so my system probably doesnt have the resolution yet.
The change is significant for me. Sharp sounds thin, undefined etc.

Slow is much better. It doesn't sound as good as my Metrum Adagio, but it's not bad. Will leave it running in another 8 days then reassess.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #3,353 of 3,907
The change is significant for me. Sharp sounds thin, undefined etc.

Slow is much better. It doesn't sound as good as my Metrum Adagio, but it's not bad. Will leave it running in another 8 days then reassess.
I've seen a couple of reviewers now, reflect that with the Ares II; their 'typical filter preference' (as used on other DACs), being Slow, seem to prefer the Fast filter(s) on the Ares II..

Again it seem to be with descriptions along the lines that 'too much of a good thing' (-that the Denefrips already doesn't do 'sharp digital', and the 'Slow' goes too far..

This of course can be media dependant, and like I find with DAC testing fast A/B switching: sometimes appears to 'make no difference', and then in a different passage on any given track/disc, something really obvious may stand out...

No doubt it does help to identify that the filters are *NOT* operational in NOS mode (thankyou @George Hincapie )

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #3,355 of 3,907
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #3,356 of 3,907
Tube amp will be a great addition to Denafrips DAC, it will reveal musicality in R2R sound. For now THX is not able to do it, good choice, looking forward for comparison.

:)
I have the ares ii running into a Xduoo ta20 tube Amp and love how it sounds. Find it is a great match with the Ares ii that doesn’t cost an arm and leg. The Xduoo can run 12bh7 tubes and they add to the sound quality of the amp.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,357 of 3,907
I pair Ares II with Felix Audio Echo OTL tube headphone amp and ZMF Atticus and sound is fantastic, full and engaging, but this is what I want from my system, just enjoy music and forget about audiphilia :gs1000smile:Ares II.jpg

That stack looks awesome! I've long considered an Ares II to replace my Bifrost 2. But I've heard people say they sound very similar. I have the Echo Mk2 myself with the ZMF Aeolus. I'm looking at and Atticus right now for $1,200 used (Canadian). What tubes/risers are you using in that photo and what is the headphone cable?

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #3,358 of 3,907
I now have 10 days of burn in on my Ares II and Iris and it just isn't doing it for me. Back to the drawing board 😔

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #3,360 of 3,907
Going to bring up an old topic but new to me as I stumbled onto it on Youtube.

Tried it and I am not sure if it is placebo, seems the soundstage did increase in width a bit......strange that loosening the back screws can have any effect on sound.
Will need to spend some time listening to my favorite tracks to confirm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back