DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 30, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #3,331 of 3,901
Good news for Windows PC users!

DENAFRIPS Thesycon v5.45.0 USB Driver is available now.

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/thesycon-v5-45-0-usb-driver-windows

4b933e_b79990246f8c47bf98b3f0827bf5e47d~mv2.png
1661837158877.gif

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #3,332 of 3,901
Have any of you added the Iris to your Ares? What difference did it make? Do you feel the improvement justified the expense?

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,334 of 3,901
I added the latest driver on my Windows 11 system and found no difference.
Driver makes a difference when someone experience problems. It just facilitate data transfer: no problems, it is bit perfect. So a new driver is also bit-perfect, no difference. :)

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #3,335 of 3,901
My new Iris and Ares II arrived today. Everything's connected and working, and I'm listening to some music on my Arya.

I have to say that initial impressions are not positive. Music just sounds flat, not visceral or real. There's no weight to the image.

I've read so many reviews about this DAC and was expecting it to blow me away, but it isn't.

Disappointing.

Is there a preferred filter for this? Mine is using whatever the stock one is.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #3,336 of 3,901
My new Iris and Ares II arrived today. Everything's connected and working, and I'm listening to some music on my Arya.

I have to say that initial impressions are not positive. Music just sounds flat, not visceral or real. There's no weight to the image.

I've read so many reviews about this DAC and was expecting it to blow me away, but it isn't.

Disappointing.

re: filter, NOS vs '1x' mode seems to be the considerations, yes? some reviewers prefer one or the other (or 'based on genre'/disk),.. I have seen in action that 'various medias' preferred one or the other,.. (please play)
Regarding new/'out of box' sound quality- noooooooooooo

Leave something engaging the DAC (eg a set top box feeding an audio signal) for a week or two.

WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

Chip based DACs don't have much to have to break in..
An Ares II has a lot of capacitors and 'parts' that need to 'warm up' a little (settling).
Many manufacturers will inform a user, via the users manual, that after a week or two a part will sound better (be it an amp or a speaker etc...)
A friend with a great critical ear/brain and a studio setup said the Denefrips just kept getting better (even at the one month mark).
I was witness to the first four hours of playback and the soundstage just kept improving.. (by the two and a half hour mark it was noticably better than 'out of box'...)

Once done, its' done.
You don't have to leave it on all the time, nor run it for a week if it was left 'off' for three months.
That being said, thirty minutes warm up if it was disconnected from power might sweeten the breathing space and air characteristics a bit.. etc etc etc.

(TL : DR - Denefrips Ares II has a lot of parts that need to be broken in and settle together; give it a week or two being left on and decoding something...)

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,337 of 3,901

Disappointing.

I have the Ares II but not the Iris. My suggestion would be to hook up the Ares II to your computer without the Iris and start there. Get used to the settings and the sound before you add the Iris. I know nothing about the sound of the Iris but I do know that your complaint about the Ares II is not my experience. I would also suggest you download a free tail of HQPlayer and give that a try with the Ares II as I find that it is essential for my listening (make sure the Ares II is in NOS mode for that test). If you still are not happy then you may move onto something more to your liking.

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,338 of 3,901
re: filter, NOS vs '1x' mode seems to be the considerations, yes? some reviewers prefer one or the other (or 'based on genre'/disk),.. I have seen in action that 'various medias' preferred one or the other,.. (please play)
Regarding new/'out of box' sound quality- noooooooooooo

Leave something engaging the DAC (eg a set top box feeding an audio signal) for a week or two.

WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

Chip based DACs don't have much to have to break in..
An Ares II has a lot of capacitors and 'parts' that need to 'warm up' a little (settling).
Many manufacturers will inform a user, via the users manual, that after a week or two a part will sound better (be it an amp or a speaker etc...)
A friend with a great critical ear/brain and a studio setup said the Denefrips just kept getting better (even at the one month mark).
I was witness to the first four hours of playback and the soundstage just kept improving.. (by the two and a half hour mark it was noticably better than 'out of box'...)

Once done, its' done.
You don't have to leave it on all the time, nor run it for a week if it was left 'off' for three months.
That being said, thirty minutes warm up if it was disconnected from power might sweeten the breathing space and air characteristics a bit.. etc etc etc.

(TL : DR - Denefrips Ares II has a lot of parts that need to be broken in and settle together; give it a week or two being left on and decoding something...)
I appreciate the effort that went into that, thanks.

I can leave Roon running. Do I need my HPA switched on as well, or just the stream to the DAC is sufficient?

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #3,339 of 3,901

Disappointing.

It needs to be plugged I think 12 days before critical listening. Does not fully settle until 1 month plugged in. Welcome to audiophile!

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #3,340 of 3,901
My Ares II never gets turned off.

Sep 23, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #3,341 of 3,901
I can leave Roon running. Do I need my HPA switched on as well, or just the stream to the DAC is sufficient?
Yes, the later. But, Iris also need burning, so leave it on too. What is your hpa? .

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #3,343 of 3,901
Yes, the later. But, Iris also need burning, so leave it on too. What is your hpa? .
THX AAA 789 with LTA MZ3 ordered abd being built as we speak.

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,344 of 3,901
THX AAA 789 with LTA MZ3 ordered abd being built as we speak.
Tube amp will be a great addition to Denafrips DAC, it will reveal musicality in R2R sound. For now THX is not able to do it, good choice, looking forward for comparison.

:)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #3,345 of 3,901
Mid-Fi guy took viewers (chewyoube) through a comparison of various headphone amps paired with various DAC (topologies).
His verdict was that the clinical detail retrival focused 'thx' amp was a great pairing with the Denefrips (and that Valve took the R2R 'too far' down the 'relaxed' pathway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back