DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 25, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #3,121 of 3,901
Have you tried to use a different power cable? I have a copper washer and hear no difference. I’m sure there will be the same with a silver one. But with Fujikura CV 600 + Monosaudio F104/E104 there are very nice improvements.
HAHA! I'm just joking around, man... I watched that video, very interesting, but I will get the Iris next week...next 'big' purchase I am toying with trying the Denefrips power conditioner too. I did a review of the Yulong DA1 with the $1,600 power conditioner and the black backround was sublime....

https://www.denafrips.com/bic500

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,122 of 3,901
Have you tried to use a different power cable? I have a copper washer and hear no difference. I’m sure there will be the same with a silver one. But with Fujikura CV 600 + Monosaudio F104/E104 there are very nice improvements.

If you hear very nice improvements just replacing the power wires to your outlet, imagine the improvements replacing the wires in the wall. Too bad you can't also replace the wires from your house to the power plant.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,123 of 3,901
Don't waste your money. A good and even cheaper streamer would bring you a much better experience via Coax.

IDK, I've been watching some reviews, you may be right about this....

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3,124 of 3,901
Hi! Im hesitating what DAC to buy for my Windows PC.

I am looking for an end game DAC within a budget of approx 1K$ for my desktop to connect a revealing Focal headphone to a headphone amp via balanced XLR.
I have not yet decided which: Denafrips ARES II or Schiit Bifrost 2.

I had Denafrips ARES II on my radar but after seeing the many revisions it has had along the way, I'm not sure anymore.
For example, the number of ELNA for Audio capacitors near the XLR connections has halved from 10, to 8 and now 6 in 2022 version.
Is every change or revision update on the ARES II an improvement/upgrade? Or could some changes/savings affect sound quality negatively?

Any electronics engineers here (who happen do be owners of the newest 2022 version) who can shed some light on the revisions on the ARES II?
From the very first review samples (with 10 audio caps) to the current newest 2022 version (6 audio caps) near the XLR connections.
Whats the purpose of those two small and later added two large cube shaped tall red WIMA film caps near the R2R ladders in the newest batch?

Alvin from VinShineAudio is a gem, I respect him and I trust him, but he doesn't know the history of all the changes/improvements, so don't waste your time asking him!
I already asked him and he replied: "Since the first release of the ARES II, there have been only a few minor changes, that improve on the general quality of the device".

Has anyone here regretted buying the ARES II (which year was yours built?) after hearing it or after comparing it to another R2R dac, such as Bifrost 2?
Do the jaw-dropping enveloping musical magical praisals from the early reviews still hold valid, for the newest batch of ARES II built/shipped in 2022?

Or better save up and wait, try again in 5 years time, see how the R2R resistor ladder landscape looks like then?
Will there be more and more good brands for better prices then? Or will monopoly bring fewer but bigger brands, and the rest will disappear?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #3,125 of 3,901

I am looking for an end game DAC within a budget of approx 1K$ for my desktop to connect a revealing Focal headphone to a headphone amp via balanced XLR.

I had Denafrips ARES II on my radar but after seeing the many revisions it has had along the way, I'm not sure anymore.
For example, the number of ELNA for Audio capacitors near the XLR connections has halved from 10, to 8 and now 6 in 2022 version.
Is every change or revision update on the ARES II an improvement/upgrade? Or could some changes/savings affect sound quality negatively?

Any electronics engineers here (who happen do be owners of the newest 2022 version) who can shed some light on the revisions on the ARES II?
From the very first review samples (with 10 audio caps) to the current newest 2022 version (6 audio caps) near the XLR connections.
Whats the purpose of those two small and later added two large cube shaped tall red WIMA film caps near the R2R ladders in the newest batch?

Alvin from VinShineAudio is a gem, I respect him and I trust him, but he doesn't know the history of all the changes/improvements, so don't waste your time asking him!
I already asked him and he replied: "Since the first release of the ARES II, there have been only a few minor changes, that improve on the general quality of the device".

Has anyone here regretted buying the ARES II (which year was yours built?) after hearing it or after comparing it to another R2R dac, such as Bifrost 2?
Do the jaw-dropping enveloping musical magical praisals from the early reviews still hold valid, for the newest batch of ARES II built/shipped in 2022?

Or better save up and wait, try again in 5 years time, see how the R2R resistor ladder landscape looks like then?
Will there be more and more good brands for better prices then? Or will monopoly bring fewer but bigger brands, and the rest will disappear?
I just got my Ares 9 days ago, I love it so far, it sounds better to me than the Questyle 15 which I have here. Are you sure Bifrost is an R2R DAC??? Also if you want a 'revealing' dac I dont think Ares should be your first choice, it is analogue and very natural but not revealing. If you want a revealing dac try the ToppingD90...

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #3,126 of 3,901
Thanks @szore for your reply and personal experience! How great to read that the Ares II can sound better than the flagship DAC of Questyle.
I read somewhere that the Bifrost 2 does use R2R but, unlike the Ares II, its not a physical resistor ladder, rather the resistors are baked inside a special chip.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #3,127 of 3,901
Thanks @szore for your reply and personal experience! How great to read that the Ares II can sound better than the flagship DAC of Questyle.
I read somewhere that the Bifrost 2 does use R2R but, unlike the Ares II, its not a physical resistor ladder, rather the resistors are baked inside a special chip.
That is true.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #3,128 of 3,901
That is true.
^This. A DAC chip actually is not pure R2R (only a portion of a ladder is R2R), better description is a "ladder DAC". Ares is a pure R2R.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #3,129 of 3,901
Which advantages can a ladder chip DAC have over a pure R2R resistor DAC, if say both are equally made of exceptionally high quality?
Imagine Schiit Audio builds a true pure R2R resistor dac, and Denafrips builds a multibit chip ladder DAC, both same price and exceptional high quality.
What sound signature traits can be generally attributed to chip ladder dacs when compared to r2r resistor dacs? (comparing similar price and build quality).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #3,130 of 3,901

I wouldn't worry about replacing large cans with film capacitors. I would do it in first place if designing this DAC. I know that large cans and a hudge number brings user attention and build a confidence, good for marketing, it is not better than a current version, IHMO.

As for a gaming DAC I would add Audio GD R2R-11mk2 to the list. Ares has a large FIFO with a variable latency, it affects gaming experience. You don't want to hear steps with after hundred miliseconds delay, do you? R2R-11 is better than Ares in this application as it has a minimum latency on USB port. Headphone amplifier is powerful, I think is capable delivering good quality sound to your headphones on SE output (no XLR). Make sure to order option with galvanic isolator and Crystek oscilators, it is worth extra $70.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #3,131 of 3,901
What sound signature traits can be generally attributed to chip ladder dacs when compared to r2r resistor dacs? (comparing similar price and build quality).
It is like comparing TDA1541/3 or TDA1387 (segmented architecture where only a portion of ladder is R2R) with a complete R2R implementation in PCM63 or PCM1704. These are well known devices, easy to find user feedback.

This is a difference. Other than that, chip DAC's typically have a vintage sound signature, but it is due to pairing with obsolete, inferior DSP filtering chip comparing to the current FPGA solutions. Not related to the chip vs. dicrete implementation dispute, not a reason. When done right, there is no difference.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #3,132 of 3,901
Which advantages can a ladder chip DAC have over a pure R2R resistor DAC, if say both are equally made of exceptionally high quality?
Imagine Schiit Audio builds a true pure R2R resistor dac, and Denafrips builds a multibit chip ladder DAC, both same price and exceptional high quality.
I think the idea is discreet components are just better sounding than integrated circuits. this is true of amps as well.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,133 of 3,901
The dac inside the CMA800i was easily better than the Ares 2 for me.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #3,134 of 3,901

Users who are viewing this thread

Back