DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 14, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3,076 of 3,907
Just curious why so many people on youtube and forums suggest using a slow OS mode while non-OS sounds way better?
.LOL.

They listen to techno-computer generated music. A real NOS mode sounds even better. :)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #3,077 of 3,907
.LOL.

They listen to techno-computer generated music. A real NOS mode sounds even better. :)
My Ares shipped. Soon I will reveal the truth.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #3,078 of 3,907
My Ares shipped. Soon I will reveal the truth.
Well. Denafrips is not "real" NOS looking at GoldenSound's blog and videos. These DACs seem to have some kind of DSP of their own.
Real filterless NOS like old Sony chips without oversampling, holo audio, some others.. is just a bit different from what Denafrips does.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #3,080 of 3,907
Well. Denafrips is not "real" NOS looking at GoldenSound's blog and videos. These DACs seem to have some kind of DSP of their own.
Real filterless NOS like old Sony chips without oversampling, holo audio, some others.. is just a bit different from what Denafrips does.
Just take Holo Audio out from a list due to the digital filtering and high frequency data scrambling in their so called NOS mode. It sounds more similar to Delta Sigma DACs than a real NOS, confirmed by many. Even the owner of a website having word 'friends' in the name, a place Holo Audio have received a lot of praise says: "it sounds different, not neccessary better".

I do personally like approach of fixing ladder imperfections from Sonnet. It also does some data scrambling, but there is no digital filters and a philosophy behind is to compensate errors rather than hiding them from the measuring equipment. If I were not Audio GD fan, Morpheus would be on my purchase list.
:)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #3,082 of 3,907
Just take Holo Audio out from a list due to the digital filtering and high frequency data scrambling in their so called NOS mode. It sounds more similar to Delta Sigma DACs than a real NOS, confirmed by many. Even the owner of a website having word 'friends' in the name, a place Holo Audio have received a lot of praise says: "it sounds different, not neccessary better".
What? That is news to me, I've owned holo spring 1/2. When measuring the digital filter in NOS it measures perfectly normal/expected so not sure what you mean.. high frequency data scrambling ??

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #3,083 of 3,907
What? That is news to me, I've owned holo spring 1/2. When measuring the digital filter in NOS it measures perfectly normal/expected so not sure what you mean.. high frequency data scrambling ??
Yip. There was a long discussion about what is NOS and what is not in this thread. The guy brought a case of Denafrips in his defense of Holo Audio. I was defending Denafrips and I lost. However there is still disagrement regarding Holo. A proof for digital filtering is in Stereophile test of May. JA pointed out with numbers what drop-off is expected from NOS sample-hold operation and a difference as measured. Results for a higher sampling rate also brings unexpected results. I also brought my suspicion that Holo use high frequency data scrambling to hide ladder defects. It is shown as ringing on the pulse response test. JA blamed a limited bandwith of the analyzer. This is true, but it is not a test signal that interfere (true NOS DACs do not show the same behaviour using the same analyzer), but a high frequency data scrambling added in FPGA. Further tests (that my opponent brought-in in defense of Holo NOS) actually confirm a presence of ultrasonic data srambling. Everything is in this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3,084 of 3,907
Man, Denefrips don't play; last night my aresii went from China to Alsaska...this morning I woke up it was in indianapolis, now I checked it is in NYC! Wow! Should get it tomorrow!

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #3,085 of 3,907
I'm shocked; they just delivered the Ares...it was in freaking Alaska last night....

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,086 of 3,907
Couldn't find a copper washer so I just used a brass washer.

Lol very surprising, there is a slight difference.

What the actual ... That video is the kookiest thing I've ever seen. Is this real life?

The guy literally tuned the case to sound good to him when he hits it in a random spot and claims that it has the same effect on the music. That's not how ANYTHING works. Everyone should be offended.

Imagining that were true, manufacturers could design enclosures to sound good when hit which should optimize their music production, and people could pick the best amplifier by giving them a tap, like squeezing fruit at a supermarket.

Nonsense aside, if it does anything at all, then there must have been an electrical disconnect between the case parts which caused a grounding issue that installing the washer just happened to fix. That can be verified by checking the ground with a multimeter.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #3,087 of 3,907
OK, Folks, Have the Ares setup with the Jot2...I know the Ares needs 10 days to 'warm up', but its sounding good so far cold....The only question; I tried to set the OS mode and the filter but cannot seem to figure out the buttons. The manual says press the mute button, but when I do that, it just mutes. What am I missing?

20220215_191623.jpg

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,089 of 3,907
While it is muted, press the opt1 button and it toggles nos/os. Same with opt2 and slow/ sharp
Thank you, I got it. Didn't hear any difference! I know I need to let these warm up and burn in, but so far it has a great 'punchy' sound. I am hearing some stage depth.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #3,090 of 3,907
What the actual ... That video is the kookiest thing I've ever seen. Is this real life?

The guy literally tuned the case to sound good to him when he hits it in a random spot and claims that it has the same effect on the music. That's not how ANYTHING works. Everyone should be offended.

Imagining that were true, manufacturers could design enclosures to sound good when hit which should optimize their music production, and people could pick the best amplifier by giving them a tap, like squeezing fruit at a supermarket.

Nonsense aside, if it does anything at all, then there must have been an electrical disconnect between the case parts which caused a grounding issue that installing the washer just happened to fix. That can be verified by checking the ground with a multimeter.
Lol so you've tried it then?

Why don't you try it before preaching...

Pick up a 10 cent brass washer at the hardware store, not hard or expensive to prove you're right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back