DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #226 of 3,907
Ok . i thought you using USB with very high resolution input source files comparing to Holo.

This sound good enough:grinning:

Currently, I am using Soundaware D100 Pro as source. I will move the ARES after a week or so to my bedroom rig using my PC as source.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #229 of 3,907

This is what I am talking about: in this country (Italy) you get charged first of all 22% IVA (means VAT) then tariffs, then an "estimated" further tax based on the supposed price of the shipping (and of course the theoretical shipping fees they use as a basis, based on distance and weight, are the highest possible).
The last time I bought from China, for a 100$ cable I paid 45$ on top..so maybe now you understand better why having the possibility of buying from a European retailer is a huge bonus..
Whatever price increase the importer might apply, it's going to be better anyway.

Obviously, your government is robbering you just like that..

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #230 of 3,907
Got Sonica today. Now break-in:

Congrats!

I have my eyes on the Sonica.

I would be very interested to learn how it compares with the new R2R DACs (Ares and Halo Spring)

Or with Gumby

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #232 of 3,907
ARES is in the house. Ordered it from Vinshine. Alvin at Vinshine has been great to deal with and kudos to him for been able to come up with a very competitive price for the ARES. I am listening to ARES with the ZMF Ori cherry wood and Cayin iHA6 amp balanced and later with my balanced LD tube amp. 
Tried all the different file types to test the USB input.. All of them work. That is a good start in my book. Configured FB2K to output DSD. Just found out that I can upsample PCM to DSD in Foobar2K.
beerchug.gif
. Poor man's HQP.
Some un-boxing photos. Just for giggles I have compared the size of ARES to the AGD NFB 17.32.  Initial impression(subjective with the usual caveats)  against the AGD. Better micro details, good instrument separation.  I am not good with audiofoolery words to describe the sound. After 100 hours  I will chime in with my final impressions.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #233 of 3,907

FB2K settings if anybody is interested. I couldn't hear any click/pop noise when switching to different DSD formats(DSD 64, 128, 256). When I get the chance I will try to connect the ARES to Squeezebox Touch on my 2 Ch setup which may not happen till the weekend.

Update: to upsample anything over 88.2 I need to set it to DSD64 to get sound. This is where it gets interesting. When I play the file ARES display shows it as DSD256.
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #234 of 3,907
Thanks @rudra.

Glad that foobar2k and PC does not show those dreaded pops and clicks. In my Soundaware D100 Pro, these pops and clicks are so loud. As in loud. LOL.

Enjoy your ARES and come back for more impressions. I think I am starting to understand more where it is compared to my Spring. Cheers.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #236 of 3,907

FB2K settings if anybody is interested. I couldn't hear any click/pop noise when switching to different DSD formats(DSD 64, 128, 256). When I get the chance I will try to connect the ARES to Squeezebox Touch on my 2 Ch setup which may not happen till the weekend.
Update: to upsample anything over 88.2 I need to set it to DSD64 to get sound. This is where it gets interesting. When I play the file ARES display shows it as DSD256.
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks for this. I was wondering what DSD rates the Denafrips could really handle. Hopefully the mismatched rates is just a software/firmware glitch that can be fixed with an update.

The Denafrips is much closer to my budget plus I like the smaller size (compared to the Holo Spring) but all those soft capacitors packed inside is giving me pause.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #237 of 3,907

Thanks for this. I was wondering what DSD rates the Denafrips could really handle. Hopefully the mismatched rates is just a software/firmware glitch that can be fixed with an update.

The Denafrips is much closer to my budget plus I like the smaller size (compared to the Holo Spring) but all those soft capacitors packed inside is giving me pause.

If have played DSD64, 128 & 256 DSF files and the DAC indicator lights up as ( 1x, 2x, 4x  with the DSD indicator on). I think the quirk is with the ASIO Proxy up-sampling in the chain..

As for the life of the capactior's  only time will tell(oops I better not get sued for using some one's else TM
wink.gif
)

If anybody wants to try it out for themselves you can download DSD files from http://www.2l.no/hires/

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #238 of 3,907
@lukeap69
have tried to send the DSD as DoP and see if you still get the loud pop. Apologies if you have already tried it.

I don't think I have that option in Soundaware D100 Pro. I will try different settings when I connect my ARES to my PC. I will also switch DAC tonight to check if I will hear the same pops with my Holo.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #239 of 3,907
If have played DSD64, 128 & 256 DSF files and the DAC indicator lights up as ( 1x, 2x, 4x  with the DSD indicator on). I think the quirk is with the ASIO Proxy up-sampling in the chain..

As for the life of the capactior's  only time will tell(oops I better not get sued for using some one's else TM :wink: )

If anybody wants to try it out for themselves you can download DSD files from http://www.2l.no/hires/

How to tell if a cap is busted? Male sound turn into female squeal?:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back