DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 25, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #196 of 3,907

I have been just using an AchtungAudio USB cable directly connecting it to my laptop. The Denafrips Ares connects directly into my Red Wine Audio 70.2 Signature mono block amps. I use no pre amp

Can't wait to see whether the inclusion of the USB Regen, LPS, and Curious Regen Link cable improves it even more.

How are you controlling the volume with the PC?  The DAC doesn't have a volume attenuator and I'm pretty sure your mono blocks don't either.

Most people with external DACs prefer to get "bit perfect" output from their computer to their DAC.  They don't want the operating system to have any control over the signal. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #197 of 3,907
T Bone,

Don`t ever ever use DAC-s volume control. Digital volume is from evil, it works on basis of dropping bits. Preamp/volume attenuatior is one of the most critical parts of your system. It`s actually the heart of your system.

All the computer/streamer stuff is also not really there yet!

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #199 of 3,907

How are you controlling the volume with the PC?  The DAC doesn't have a volume attenuator and I'm pretty sure your mono blocks don't either.

Most people with external DACs prefer to get "bit perfect" output from their computer to their DAC.  They don't want the operating system to have any control over the signal. 

The Red Wine Audio mono blocks do in fact have volume attenuators. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #200 of 3,907
  PitBul34,

The vids are nice but maybe you can bless us with two words on how your Ares vs Dac-8 and maybe Sonica sounds? Is there any huge improvement of one over other?

Sonica is still on the way from USA, i'll tell about it later. I think it would be better to make a small table to describe advantages of each other.

Indicator
ARES
ExteriorSmall and simple looking device, minimalistic style, not eated much space, 1x unit.Solid looking heavy weight boxer, minimalistic style, need more space, 2x units.
InteriorOne big O-transformer, 2x R2R ladders, 1x FPGA controller, 0,01 resistors.2x big O-transformers, separated power source unit, 4x R2R ladders, 2x FPGA controllers, 0,01 resistors.
Build qualityBuild like a T-34 main battle tank, full metal jacket, all parts alligned nice, packed in 1x paper box. A special gift wooden boxes are available for Taiwan users (and for me :) - many thanks to Taiwan dealer).Build like an ISU-152 tank destroyer, huge bullet proof case, many many metal, metal is everywhere, all parts alligned nice. Weight 13 kg, 2x units packed separately in 2x paper boxes.
FormatsPCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (USB)PCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (I2S)
USB+ (XMOS 208)-
I2S-+ (HDMI, gold plated)
COX2x RCA1x RCA, 1x BNC
OPT2x TosLink2x TosLink
AES\EBU-2x
OutputRCA, XLRRCA, XLR
SoundstageVery deepMuch deeper and layered (but you need a nice tube setup and a lightweight high sensitivity paper cone dynamic heads to hear that)
AttackVery fast, agressiveVery fast, much softer and balanced sound
BassDeep and texturedVery deep, strong and textured (but you need a nice setup and high quality big AC  to hear that)
MidsVery natural and pleasureVery natural and pleasure, more intelligent sound
HeightsCrystal clearCrystal clear, but more gentle sound
ResolutionVery HighThe same
Channel separationVery HighA bit better
Price$600$1500

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #201 of 3,907
Sonica is still on the way from USA, i'll tell about it later. I think it would be better to make a small table to describe advantages of each other.

DAC-8PRO2 R2R

ExteriorSmall and simple looking device, minimalistic style, not eated much space, 1x unit.Solid looking heavy weight boxer, minimalistic style, need more space, 2x units.
InteriorOne big O-transformer, 2x R2R ladders, 1x FPGA controller, 0,01 resistors.2x big O-transformers, separated power source unit, 4x R2R ladders, 2x FPGA controllers, 0,01 resistors.
Build qualityBuild like a T-34 main battle tank, full metal jacket, all parts alligned nice, packed in 1x paper box. A special gift wooden boxes are available for Taiwan users (and for me :) - many thanks to Taiwan dealer).Build like an ISU-152 tank destroyer, huge bullet proof case, many many metal, metal is everywhere, all parts alligned nice. Weight 13 kg, 2x units packed separately in 2x paper boxes.
FormatsPCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (USB)PCM, DSD (DoP), DSD native (I2S)
USB+ (XMOS 208)-
I2S-+ (HDMI, gold plated)
COX2x RCA1x RCA, 1x BNC
OPT2x TosLink2x TosLink
AES\EBU-2x
OutputRCA, XLRRCA, XLR
SoundstageVery deepMuch deeper and layered (but you need a nice tube setup and a lightweight high sensitivity paper cone dynamic heads to hear that)
AttackVery fast, agressiveVery fast, much softer and balanced sound
BassDeep and texturedVery deep, strong and textured (but you need a nice setup and high quality big AC  to hear that)
MidsVery natural and pleasureVery natural and pleasure, more intelligent sound
HeightsCrystal clearCrystal clear, but more gentle sound
ResolutionVery HighThe same
Channel separationVery HighA bit better
Price$600$1500
[TD]Indicator[/TD]​
[TD]ARES[/TD]​
[TD][/TD]​
great comparison. thanks.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #202 of 3,907
From the comparasion chart, it really seems like the ares is a much better deal. Sounds like very minimal gains to hear the differences, if it needs a very high end set up to differentiate, for over double the cost. Unless of course someone would really prefer the I2S connection.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #203 of 3,907
  From the comparasion chart, it really seems like the ares is a much better deal. Sounds like very minimal gains to hear the differences, if it needs a very high end set up to differentiate, for over double the cost. Unless of course someone would really prefer the I2S connection.

The truth is out there. The sound quality of a modern DACs is so high, that every little step ahead costs more and more money. But a lot of people does not have suitable setups to hear this benefits. Yes, the difference between Ares & DAC-8PRO2 R2R is not like night & day. DAC-8PRO2 R2R sounds better in all parameters sought. But for some people it would be better to invest money into development of their setups and then to think of upgrade their DACs, imo.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #205 of 3,907
PitBul34,

Yep the very top of high-end digital becomes gradually sharper the higher you go. From $200 to 2k the upgrade is usually quite substantial but from 2k to 20k it becomes more of a taste issue.

Do you have had some big boys like Accuphase, Burmester, Zanden etc. to compare the current Chinese miracles to?

Your English is pretty good so please don`t be afraid to say a few words about your sonic impression. I suppose most here are impatiently waiting for a brief essay ....
deadhorse.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #209 of 3,907
  If this was available in Eur i would have bought already, unfortunately i have a bad history with customs.

now that the dollar is pratically :1 with euro, it´s worse. same price more 40%

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #210 of 3,907
What you talking about guys, VAT dependent on country 21-23% . Thats it. In worst case you pay tax but still you getting great DAC in even better price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back