DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 30, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 3,901
As a Holo Spring DAC owner, I am subscribing to this thread and see where this DAC goes.  This should be interesting.  
popcorn.gif

Where can I find more information?  I Googled the product name and just got a few hits on a Russian site.  I don't see anything that looks like a manufacturers page.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 3,901
Manufacturer page: http://www.denafrips.com/store/p1/DAC-68_R2R_%E7%89%B9%E5%88%A5%E7%89%88.html

Someone is selling this on audiogon
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-denafrips-dac-68-r2r-new-2017-01-04-digital-402

Does not say if the R2R is compensated like the HOLO, second shorter row of resistors next to the main resistor chain suggests that it is a compensated implementation.

Translated specs.
Features
  1. Taiwan R2R Special Edition, 0.01% precision discrete chip resistors sold worldwide . (And X Bao see the DAC 68 is different ESS9016 chip Oh)
  2. With XMOS's new XU208 series receiver, it supports 18-bit / 384kHz digital audio decoding, support for master-level music playback, non-synchronous USB input, full asynchronous data communication, and exclusive driver with USB connection. Program , to achieve the most advanced digital transmission decoding capabilities, support for Mac, Linux, Windows operating system
  3. Transformer using the highest specifications O-type oxygen-free copper transformer , no edges and corners, uniform magnetic field distribution, low leakage magnetic flux, low DC impedance, to mention sound quality alcohol thickness
  4. Automatically adjust the DAC chip according to the input signal the most appropriate sampling rate, the use of ultra-low JITTER digital receiver chip AK4118, providing excellent stability and jitter control
  5. Self- developed 18bit DAC conversion module , R2RLadder design architecture, the true full-balanced design. The new design and development of the 32Bit digital filter to 16 X Over Sampling mode of work, each filter with 32bit input resolution, can greatly increase the dynamic contrast, analysis and more natural and delicate sound
  6. Full digital audio input interface, support the top high-definition audio decoding playback output
  7. Supports 32-bit audio of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384 kHz and DSD decoding of 2.822, 3.072, 5.644 and 6.144 MHz
  8. Digital input with a group of Toslink optical fiber, a coaxial coaxial, and a group of USB digital interface input
  9. The analog output has a set of RCAs and a set of balanced XLRs

Technical indicators
Voltage: 115 / 230v 50/60 Hz
Frequency response: 0-70KHz (-3dB)
Distortion: <0.0015% (measured, the actual performance is higher than the measured indicators)
Signal to noise ratio: 115dB (RCA), 114dB (XLR)
Dynamic range:> 119dB (RCA),> 120dB (XLR)
Crosstalk parameters:   ≤-124dB (RCA), ≤130dB (XLR)
Power consumption: <30W
Balanced XLR Output Level: 4.4V (+/- 10%) V RMS (1KHz)
Unbalanced RCA Output Level: 2.2V (+/- 10%) V RMS (1KHz)
USB input
PCM format support: 16-32bit 44.1,48,88.2,96,176.4,192,352.8,384Khz
DSD Format: NATIVE DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
Coaxial, optical input
PCM format: 16-24Bit 44.1,48,88.2,96,176.4,192,352.8,384Khz
DSD format: DSD64
Machine size:
215 * 230 * 45mm
Machine weight: 3.5kg

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 3,901
No. My name is Mikhail and I'm old audiophile from Russia. I'm big vinyl fan (here is my profile on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/pitbul34) and also i like hi-res digital audio. I'm former Holo Spring R2R DAC owner:

I've got Denafrips 'Ares' at my own risk from Ebay (coz there are no reviews on internet) and it's amazing DAC! I've sold my Holo Spring immediatelly. I put some photos and videos on Internet and share my opinion and information with people.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 3,901
  No. My name is Mikhail and I'm old audiophile from Russia. I'm big vinyl fan (here is my profile on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/pitbul34) and also i like hi-res digital audio. I'm former Holo Spring R2R DAC owner:

I've got Denafrips 'Ares' at my own risk from Ebay (coz there are no reviews on internet) and it's amazing DAC! I've sold my Holo Spring immediatelly. I put some photos and videos on Internet and share my opinion and information with people.

Thanks for sharing Mikhail!  

That's a nice setup you have there.  I see the Spring buried in there.  
I love tube gear too.  I have a dedicated vinyl rig with a tube preamp and a tube amplifier.

Which "level" Spring did you buy?  I have a level one.  So I am assuming that you bought the Denafrips while you still owned the Spring.  Is that right?  If so, were you able to compare the two "head-to-head"?   I am curious to hear your opinions of what the Denafrips did better than the Holo.  
It certainly is priced attractively.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 3,901
Thank you, T Bone.

> I love tube gear too

Me too. All my tube gear are handcrafted. Amp based on US RCA Radiotron Type 245 triodes in globe shape, british 4 volt triode Cossor 41-MTL as drivers and german Telefunken RGN1064 as rectifiers. Preamp use british 2 volt triodes G.E.C. P2. Headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD800 use the same type of 2v british triodes. Phono stage amp made of british EF86 as drivers and russian gold 6Э6П-ДР tubes in output stage. I use Thorens TD160 Super turntable armed by Audiocraft AC-3000 unipivot tonearm and Transfiguration Temper Supreme & Ortofon Rohmann MC cartridges. MC-transformer is Technics Amorphous SH-305MC. Teac VRDS 10 as a digital CD-source. My digital gear right now: Soundaware D100PRO Deluxe 'digital turntable' and Denafrips Ares R2R Ladder DAC. AC from russian OXB-team: www.10hz.ru

> Which "level" Spring did you buy?

Lev 1

> So I am assuming that you bought the Denafrips while you still owned the Spring.

No, it was sold one week before i've received Denafrips, but i remember Holo sound.

> I am curious to hear your opinions of what the Denafrips did better than the Holo.

It's just my opinion. If you like  Holo - it's good!

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #13 of 3,901
Kevin Gilmore believes their power section is really goofy. Too many capacitors. Imagine if one shorts. Seems like they op to using many smaller ones to reduce chassis size.

Nonetheless, I wonder how the higher line Denafrips DAC-1PRO DSD or Denafrips DAC 8PRO2 DSD performs.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 3,901
  @PitBul34 can you advise if the usb input can play native DSD or DoP. When I asked the good folks at Denafrips they said that DAC68 is using Dop standard for DSD

I don't want to convert my existing DSD material to DoP.

Thanks!

Yes, it can play native DSD over USB, but first you must download and install DSD-ASIO driver from manufacturer website (for Windows PC). Next step - select DSD-ASIO output in your software player. Denafrips 'Ares' supported PCM 24-192 and DSD64 (in DoP mode) over coaxial and optical interfaces. Ares similar to DAC68 R2R, but Ares has additional coaxial and optical inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back