[deleted]
Oct 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 65
Even my Philips SHP9500 has stronger build quality than my Sennheiser 4xx, HD558, and HD580.  And HD580 is similar to HD600, so the same applies.  And I can pretty much guarantee something on an AKG 701 will break before it will on the SHP9500.  (Such as those plastic slider pieces the inside of the headband moves on.)

Similar applies to Beyers.  They simply feel more durable.  I may not have to baby my Sennheisers, but they make me feel like I do. 

No detachable cable on Beyers, but that's not all that bad considering the connectors that come on the HD580/HD600 cable.  The Beyer cable also has more support at the plug jack.  In comparison, the Senn cable is like it's made for a portable headphone.

Honestly, having owned HD 580 for many years, and K701 for even longer, I never had a single issue with durability. By contrast I've read/heard many reports of T5p cable and plug failures, I've seen many "lesser" Beyers fall apart over the years, and my T70s died within 3 weeks of light use. Sure, the Beyers look all big and masculine and have metal parts, and the Sennheisers and AKGs are "just plastic" - but those "just plastic" headphones, IME, just work. :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #32 of 65
Problem on the HE400 idea is that I really don't know much about modding headphones and lack the confidence to start doing it which would I'm sure void the warranty.

Well... I've got a lot of great replies here. I can't help but to want to own an AKG K702 when I look at them honestly, they just look cool and like something I'd like to have, and I've found them for $165... I almost want to buy them just to have a pair, and I just might really. I would still want another, easier to drive headphone for multi-purpose but I have a feeling it might be a good neutral headphone to have and it looks quite comfortable with how big it is.

Other than that, I figure the X2 and the Ultrasone 2900 are considerations for me. I may try a DT880 at another time. I have a feeling the Ultrasone 2900's sound effect is likely similar to something I've experienced before - Turtle Beach always had this "5.1 Surround" effect on their higher models.

The X2 I'm guessing is a bit warmer but not basshead and is a pretty straight-forward open headphone.

I suppose if I end up with the X2 and a K702 then I'll have one "lively/fun" headphone and one pretty dead-neutral "souless" headphone as some call it. I'm sure each have their applications.

I'm just not terribly interested in the HD600/650. The HD800 looks pretty awesome to me, but the pricetag associated with it is beyond me.

When I actually have money someday maybe I'll just say screw it all and go for the "SR-009 with best amp/dac on the market" deal and that'll put an end to all of it. Hahahahaha.

We'll see how it all works out. I'll try pulling all the strings I can to get my hands on these.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #33 of 65
Well... I've got a lot of great replies here. I can't help but to want to own an AKG K702 when I look at them honestly, they just look cool and like something I'd like to have, and I've found them for $165... I almost want to buy them just to have a pair, and I just might really. I would still want another, easier to drive headphone for multi-purpose but I have a feeling it might be a good neutral headphone to have and it looks quite comfortable with how big it is.

$165 is *awesome* for those cans.

Other than that, I figure the X2 and the Ultrasone 2900 are considerations for me. I may try a DT880 at another time. I have a feeling the Ultrasone 2900's sound effect is likely similar to something I've experienced before - Turtle Beach always had this "5.1 Surround" effect on their higher models.

No. S-LOGIC is nothing like that. Nothing at all like that.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #37 of 65
I'm just getting AKG because they're a steal. I have a feeling they'll be better for things with an average of higher pitched sounds, like classical.

But the X2 will also be bought. The K702 and X2 will probably be a good combo.

That said, I see a lot of people saying K702 "needs a big amp"... is there truth to that or is a Schiit Fulla good enough? I have a feeling they're exaggerating.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #38 of 65
I'm just getting AKG because they're a steal. I have a feeling they'll be better for things with an average of higher pitched sounds, like classical.

But the X2 will also be bought. The K702 and X2 will probably be a good combo.

That said, I see a lot of people saying K702 "needs a big amp"... is there truth to that or is a Schiit Fulla good enough? I have a feeling they're exaggerating.

The AKG at $160 are a fantastic deal. As far as the amplification goes, they have a reputation because they're less sensitive than a lot of their competition (e.g. compared to HD 600), but something like Fulla has orders of magnitude more power than they could ever realistically need (per the Schiit specs at least). And beyond that, it's important to remember that they are rated for a MAXIMUM input of 200 mW/ch, so it's not like you're going to be dumping 2-3-4-8W/ch into them like some planar can withstand (ignoring the whole "you're in for serious and permanent hearing damage" bit). Realistically around 10 mW/ch is a good target for the 701 though - Tyll has measured multiple pairs as needing around 1-1.5mW/ch to reach 90 dB SPL (which is borderline too loud), and 10-15mW would get you to 100 dB (which is too loud, but gives you 20-30 dB of headroom from a more suitable 70-80 dB listening level).

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 65
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

lots of actual accuracy/music production use testimony and impressions towards the end of thread and plenty of enjoyment ones through the whole .
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/2295#post_11978996

I see one close to the AKG sale price in the classifieds here. And full price certainly is not $400.
Consider one while you can = recently discontinued.

Looking over your first post requirements this thing should fit most if not all of your requirements in one.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #40 of 65
I can provide some input on this since I own both the DT880 600ohm and X2. I use them both with a matrx-m-stage amp.

The DT880 is my all time favorite headphone and the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, bar none. The X2 is close but it is a little tighter around the head. I'll be quick and just tell you what I use the headphones for so you can make a decision. I use the DT880 for long gaming and music listening sessions when I want a more relaxed analytical listening experience. I use the X2 for movies and for when I want a more punchy in your face edm music listening session or for when I'm playing a cinematic heavy single player game.

I compared them both more in depth at the bottom of this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746427/dt880-to-what/15

Right now I'm eye'ing the Little Dot MKIII amp on massdrop. Wondering what the difference would be between it and the m-stage using these headphones?

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #41 of 65
The more I read the more I just want to own them all. Dammit I don't need to be dragged down to monetary suicide in the hell that's fueled by audiophile passions along with the rest of you!

Hmm... but I am more or less making a list of headphones to try. I think X2 and K702, given how cheap I can get a K702 now, is good to start. What the X2 can't do the K702 would do and vice-versa.

DT880 will likely be the next one I try, but I figure I'll want to get that one when I have a better amp than the Schiit Fulla, right? So that I can get the 600ohm model? Ultrasone 2900 is still a bit pricey right now (can't find anything under $339), but I'll get them when I can.

But for the price I can get right now, I have a feeling X2 and K702 is good. The only other combo I could get would be DT880 with K702 and given they're both more on the neutral side seems kinda pointless since if I'm getting two headphones I should get two that compliment each other's shortcomings. I can't get the DT880 with X2 because the cost would overshoot my pretty strict budget.

Seems like pretty sound logic, no?

... are Yamaha headphones really that good? I mean I've just never liked Yamaha stuff much.

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #42 of 65
Hmm... he makes it sound like if you're not getting at least the 250Ohm it's just not worth it.

In that case I guess it really does eliminate down to the X2. Ultrasone 2900 were being considered before but it seems a lot of people don't like them.

I kinda thought maybe I should consider the NAD Viso HP50 but it's sealed and... just look weird and uncomfortable to me. I mean the headband looks like it's a bar or something. And the Oppo PM-3 turns out to look like they may just be too small, and expensive at that. And people said the HE400S is lacking extension...

..well we'll just see I suppose.

You may want to look into the PSB -M4U2 which is made by the same designer, Paul Barton, as the NAD VISO HP50.

They go for 300 on Amazon and come with an integrated amp that you can switch off and on. They sound amazing. They have a reputation for being very well balanced and slightly warm of neutral.

I own them, and usually go for Grados, but anytime I loan the PSB out, I end up missing them.

They have soft deep ear pads and are more comfortable by a mile than the NAD.

Also they sound better than the HP50, unamped, amped its no contest.

The other good thing about the PSB is that there are two holes, one in each earcup, to plug into. So if your playing a game with them, the person next to you can plug their headphones into whichever hole in your PSB that you arent using, with their headphones, to hear the same thing as you are.

Cons: The ANC isnt very good. But I never use it, its just one more click up above the amp.

The earpads get warm, especially in tne first month when the clamping force is strong, before the clamping force subsides.

Imo though, the sound is so good that any cons to me are tolerable.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #43 of 65
I think I wanna go for a full-size open first, I'll consider the rest later, maybe if I ever really need portable headphones. For now I just need stuff that works fine with my laptop.

After reading lots of reviews and looking at color schemes and stuff, I'll probably go for the Q701 over the K702. Cheaper, better looking, apparently is a better in the bass area.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #44 of 65
Yes those particular MT220 Yamaha are that good.
They are OEM'd from some other manufacturer for Yamaha, as Yamaha does not make their own things and has not done so for a while ( likely since the orthodynamic days ) so each model they have may be from a different OEM, which may be why whatever you heard before you didn't like. Different maker.
I have not seen a similar designed one so no idea who made it.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #45 of 65
If the K701 is anything to go by, your gonna get a very, very seriously bass-lacking phone with the K702. It drops off at way over 100hz, and that isn't good at all if you ask me.

EDIT: going by the graphs, you're gonna get some very weak bass with the K702, so beware...!
http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back