[deleted]
Oct 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 65
  How willing to stretch are you, in terms of budget? Audeze EL8 retails for $699 but you can get an Open Box or used for $550 or so.  Definitely a bit over your price range, but I would consider it in the same class. It also has impedance less than 50.

The most I could stretch if I really, really had to is $50. That one is way out of the threshold.

It seems like X2 vs 2900 might be a good shot for me. Low impedance and single-exit cables, the way I like it. Velour pads are also my kind of thing, I do prefer the plush kind of velour so I can only hope that they are. The SRH1540's looked so comfortable which is why I considered it ages ago, it's too bad really.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 65
How willing to stretch are you, in terms of budget? Audeze EL8 retails for $699 but you can get an Open Box or used for $550 or so.  Definitely a bit over your price range, but I would consider it in the same class. It also has impedance less than 50.

I'm not sure about EL8, have heard both open and closed and they were... Hmmm how should I describe it... Weird.
And despite its planar low impedance, it's still pretty hard to drive, my Cozoy Aegis needed almost full volume to get it loud enough (for me).
FYI my Aegis drives DT880 250 ohm on full volume.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 65
Hmm... I'll have to think on it. Would you say though, that the differences in this range are pretty subtle? I mean they're all really high-end and the differences are only if you're trying to nit-pick, or are they obvious right away?

It depends on what kinds of differences we're really talking about. Differences in detail retrieval/detail level are probably more subtle - all are good, but IMO the 2900 are just best. But in terms of sound-stage and FR, that's very dramatic - S-LOGIC vs the 700-series vs the Sennheisers is very noticeable. Same goes for overall FR balance; there's no mistaking the HD 600 for the PRO2900 or what-have-you. That having been said, they're all in the category of "good" and how one feels about them relative to each other will come down to preference more than any sort of "objective truth." I would say this is true of headphones at and above this level of performance, FWIW.

Because if they're all really great, then I might just start choosing based on impedance and aesthetics and how comfortable they look instead of worrying too much about the rest. Sure would make choosing easier.

To throw a wrench: I'd say they're all pretty well handled in the comfort and fit category - differences there *are* nit-picks imho.

So I think that may be the path I take. Trying these three out for myself and seeing which I want. If I happen to just fall in love with one along the way then so be it. Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a plan.

The 2900 is over-ear, yes? I don't like on-ear headphones. That's why I never go for Grado or anything.

Over-ear/circumaural/full-size/whatever you want to call it. They're big.

It seems like X2 vs 2900 might be a good shot for me. Low impedance and single-exit cables, the way I like it. Velour pads are also my kind of thing, I do prefer the plush kind of velour so I can only hope that they are. The SRH1540's looked so comfortable which is why I considered it ages ago, it's too bad really.

2900 pads are quite plush IME, and they include two pairs. Two cables too. Sorry that I can't comment on the X2 for a comparison. :xf_eek:

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #19 of 65
Thanks for the info, Bob.

Hmm... someone on Reddit said:

You want something from the trinity (k702, hd600, dt880) X2 and ultrasssssssssones are quite coloured and dont seem to match your preferences at all.

If you want something easy to drive, then the 32ohm dt880 is probably your best bet.

Any comment on this? Looking into the DT880 now to see if it's also among the options for me.

I do have a question though, the DT880 having two types only made me want to ask it more - why do they make high-impedance headphones if they don't have to? Wouldn't it make sense to make all headphones lower in resistance, and start making amps that use less power as well? Do higher impedance headphones somehow have better sound quality or something?

What about the DT990? Seems to be a higher model.

On the Ultrasones, I think it looks like Ultrasone has introduced a technology that not everyone is a fan of, the whole S-Logic thing. It seems to have polarized people's opinions to either "they're great" or "they're awful".

Eh... hard choices. I have a good feeling about the X2 though. I gotta say that white K702 with white accents is a sexy-looking headphone though... mmmph... dammit all.

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 65
I Have a prediction to make. You will spend over $400, maybe not now, but within a few years. :)

For now get the X2 they are fantastic. Easy to drive, very musical, nice low end for an open dynamic headphone. They are really well constructed and you will be proud to own them and share them with friends.

You will love listening to music on them, gaming and composing. You'll save money not having to buy some fancy dac/amp.

Later on look into a closed studio monitor such as Sony MDR-7520, Focal Spirit Pro, and Yamaha HPH Mt200. It's handy to have a headphone that is closed for isolation and the flatter mid range response will help with mixing.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 65
Yeah, I think it's come down to between the X2, DT880, and AKG K702. Input between these three would be nice.

My issue is that people say the X2 is bass-heavy while saying the K702 lacks bass. Would anyone say the DT880 maybe stands in the middle then?

I'd also consider HD600/650 but I have a feeling 300Ohms isn't a good idea for a little Fulla amp.

Worth noting - I really care more about quality than quantity. I see lots of reviews speaking of them like that. So I'd care more for bass quality than bass quantity, same with treble. Truthfully I think close to perfect would be quality with it pretty equal across the range. But really, highs and lows should have a little extra emphasis as that seems natural to me. Such is the difference between natural and neural I guess.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 65
I owned the "trinity" all at one time - HD600, DT880 and K702.

Quick synopsis.

K702 is really quite flat in frequency response if driven with a high current amp.  A lot of people say they are bass light - but I'd say that they are more bass neutral, and if under driven, the bass suffers.  They have a beautiful mid-range, and tend toward brightness. It is the hardest to drive of the three due to its low sensitivity.

DT880 would be arguably the most neutral of the three - great extension at both ends.  Bass again is quite flat.  Does have an upper mid / lower treble emphasis, and is on the slightly brighter side of neutral.

HD600 is probably the most natural sounding of the three - but least neutral sounding.  It does have a bit of a mid-bass hump, but it's not massive.  It also has the best rendition of timbre and tone.  It is actually the easiest to drive despite its 300 ohms.

On sound stage - AKG is the most spacious, but I always found them almost a little too diffuse, and sometimes could be very L         C         R with little content in between.  The space wows you when you first listen, but can sound a little strange after you've heard other headphones like the T1 or HD800 (which have far better sense of width, depth and height).

DT880 and HD600 are similar in size - and both are pretty believable.  DT880 images better because of its accentuated clarity.  Funnily enough I prefer the HD600 soundstage again because of the more natural presentation.

On speed - no question here - the AKG and DT880 are both a lot faster than the HD600

For actual studio work
  1. For any of these three you really need an amp.  But a Magni/Modi combo would drive all of them fine.  No need to break the bank.
  2. AKG or Beyer for neutrality, or HD600 for naturalness. Most people don't use headphones for actual mixing (a good set of nearfield monitors would be preferable), but they do for checking a mix.  And that comes down to preference.

For gaming - I like all of them - but preferred the HD600 or DT880.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #23 of 65
  I owned the "trinity" all at one time - HD600, DT880 and K702.

Quick synopsis.

K702 is really quite flat in frequency response if driven with a high current amp.  A lot of people say they are bass light - but I'd say that they are more bass neutral, and if under driven, the bass suffers.  They have a beautiful mid-range, and tend toward brightness. It is the hardest to drive of the three due to its low sensitivity.

DT880 would be arguably the most neutral of the three - great extension at both ends.  Bass again is quite flat.  Does have an upper mid / lower treble emphasis, and is on the slightly brighter side of neutral.

HD600 is probably the most natural sounding of the three - but least neutral sounding.  It does have a bit of a mid-bass hump, but it's not massive.  It also has the best rendition of timbre and tone.  It is actually the easiest to drive despite its 300 ohms.

On sound stage - AKG is the most spacious, but I always found them almost a little too diffuse, and sometimes could be very L         C         R with little content in between.  The space wows you when you first listen, but can sound a little strange after you've heard other headphones like the T1 or HD800 (which have far better sense of width, depth and height).

DT880 and HD600 are similar in size - and both are pretty believable.  DT880 images better because of its accentuated clarity.  Funnily enough I prefer the HD600 soundstage again because of the more natural presentation.

On speed - no question here - the AKG and DT880 are both a lot faster than the HD600

For actual studio work
  1. For any of these three you really need an amp.  But a Magni/Modi combo would drive all of them fine.  No need to break the bank.
  2. AKG or Beyer for neutrality, or HD600 for naturalness. Most people don't use headphones for actual mixing (a good set of nearfield monitors would be preferable), but they do for checking a mix.  And that comes down to preference.

For gaming - I like all of them - but preferred the HD600 or DT880.

Hmm.. based on this, and the looks, the DT880 sounds like it might be my headphone. The DT880 looks like it's the best compromise between all of these. Furthermore they look like they're better in build and comfort. It looks quite professional and comfortable. Honestly, one thing that really put me off of the HD600 was just the look of it. Blue camo? Come on... and the plastic-looking build. By comparison the DT880 just looks way more serious and built to last.

So I think I'm going to try the DT880 and the Fidelio X2.

You say any of them needs an amp. Just to repeat that question earlier - why would one want a higher-impedance headphone? Does it do anything for sound quality? If I buy the DT880 it'll be the 32Ohm for sure, unless someone advises me otherwise.

It's worth noting I do some creative work but most of what I'll be doing is playing games, watching anime, and listening to music.

By the way, what's the difference between a DT880 Edition and DT880 Edition B-Stock, and the Manufaktur or whatever... okay I'll just look that up.

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 65
On the difference between the DT880s - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Tyll explains it rather well.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #25 of 65
Hmm... he makes it sound like if you're not getting at least the 250Ohm it's just not worth it.

In that case I guess it really does eliminate down to the X2. Ultrasone 2900 were being considered before but it seems a lot of people don't like them.

I kinda thought maybe I should consider the NAD Viso HP50 but it's sealed and... just look weird and uncomfortable to me. I mean the headband looks like it's a bar or something. And the Oppo PM-3 turns out to look like they may just be too small, and expensive at that. And people said the HE400S is lacking extension...

..well we'll just see I suppose. I guess getting the X2 is a given at this point, just what to compare them to - DT880 or Ultrasone 2900, is what's left on the table. Everything else was too high-impedance, except maybe the AKG 702 but I've seen a fair bit of info against those too.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 65
Thanks for the info, Bob.

Hmm... someone on Reddit said:

Yet again, I've got to entirely disagree with Reddit and am continuously amazed how awful the advice Reddit generates can be. :rolleyes:

I have an issue with the construct of "the trinity" too - none of them are bad headphones but the idea of putting them together as a canon is problematic. There are other headphones that can be better or comparable, like the PRO2900.

I do have a question though, the DT880 having two types only made me want to ask it more - why do they make high-impedance headphones if they don't have to? Wouldn't it make sense to make all headphones lower in resistance, and start making amps that use less power as well? Do higher impedance headphones somehow have better sound quality or something?

Impedance is not resistance, it's complex resistance in an AC system. Impedance also doesn't mean "more power requirement" or similar - it isn't some sort of "hard to drive" metric that can be thought of as a linear spec (however I've seen that idea put forward consistently on Reddit...:rolleyes:). As to why Beyer specifically makes multiple impedance variants of the same can (they're the only ones who do this), I have no idea - I think it serves to confuse the heck out of consumers more than anything else.

On the Ultrasones, I think it looks like Ultrasone has introduced a technology that not everyone is a fan of, the whole S-Logic thing. It seems to have polarized people's opinions to either "they're great" or "they're awful".

A lot of people also talk about products they've never owned or heard based on hearsay and groupthink, and Ultrasone is not as popular/trendy these days as they once were, especially because of Tyll's "review" of the Edition 10 (I've never owned or heard the Edition 10, but it's become a "meme" among tech sites as "proof that audiophiles are stupid and pay for overpriced stuff" that couples with the recent anti-audiophile trend among sites like Reddit). S-LOGIC itself is an interesting driver alignment (and has been around for quite a while) - Ultrasone's own internal research indicates that a small percentage of people may be incompatible with S-LOGIC (due to ear shape) but from what I understand S-LOGIC Plus (which is what most modern Ultrasones have) addresses that to a large extent, and S-LOGIC EX (what the Edition 5 has, and what future Ultrasones may have) apparently addresses it even further.

Eh... hard choices. I have a good feeling about the X2 though. I gotta say that white K702 with white accents is a sexy-looking headphone though... mmmph... dammit all.

White K702? You mean the K701?

Personally I'm not a fan of Beyers, as every one I've heard has metallic/harsh treble. :xf_eek:

I'd also consider HD600/650 but I have a feeling 300Ohms isn't a good idea for a little Fulla amp.

Again, impedance isn't a "hard to drive metric" or anything like that. I don't know what the Fulla is capable of (quick look says 40 mW into 300 ohms; that's more than enough), but the HD 600/650 really aren't that hard to drive for most desktop devices. It's just some portable devices that lack the required voltage swing for higher impedance loads.

Worth noting - I really care more about quality than quantity. I see lots of reviews speaking of them like that. So I'd care more for bass quality than bass quantity, same with treble. Truthfully I think close to perfect would be quality with it pretty equal across the range. But really, highs and lows should have a little extra emphasis as that seems natural to me. Such is the difference between natural and neural I guess.

The PRO2900 will be towards that "v-shape" (same as HFI-2400); the AKGs will be bass light/thin and lean towards brightness; the Sennheisers have somewhat rolled off treble and somewhat emphasized bass. All sound good, but again the differences are not "subtle nitpicks."

Hmm.. based on this, and the looks, the DT880 sounds like it might be my headphone. The DT880 looks like it's the best compromise between all of these. Furthermore they look like they're better in build and comfort. It looks quite professional and comfortable. Honestly, one thing that really put me off of the HD600 was just the look of it. Blue camo? Come on... and the plastic-looking build. By comparison the DT880 just looks way more serious and built to last.

IME Beyer build quality is massively over-rated - lots of plastic. The Senns are well built, excepting the headband trim piece (it can crack if you over-bend it, but this isn't a guaranteed/all-the-time problem), but yeah the blue marble look is certainly...polarizing. Ultrasone HFI-2400 are "flat" plastic, like the Senns, while the PRO2900 have a rubberized finish which I think is very nice. The AKGs have a semi-gloss or gloss finish (depending on specific sub-model) which is nice as well; some people have problems with the AKG headband design though.

You say any of them needs an amp. Just to repeat that question earlier - why would one want a higher-impedance headphone? Does it do anything for sound quality? If I buy the DT880 it'll be the 32Ohm for sure, unless someone advises me otherwise.

Again, you can't use impedance as a "hard to drive" metric, and only Beyer does multiple SKUs for the same model. Just ensure that your amplifier is capable of handling higher Z (300 ohm+) and it's fine, and desktop amplifiers generally shouldn't have such a problem with that kind of load, especially today.

..well we'll just see I suppose. I guess getting the X2 is a given at this point, just what to compare them to - DT880 or Ultrasone 2900, is what's left on the table. Everything else was too high-impedance, except maybe the AKG 702 but I've seen a fair bit of info against those too.

I'd take the Ultrasone, but that's me, and I think I've explained my position in this post and others. OFC feel free to ask any other questions, but I don't want to seem like I'm beating a dead horse. :deadhorse:

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #27 of 65
 A lot of people also talk about products they've never owned or heard based on hearsay and groupthink

Which is why I tend to take Reddit's opinion with a grain of salt anymore really - Be it Bernie Sanders or Valve vs EA or bashing Apple or whatever else, they're prone to worshipping one thing and bad mouthing others and just being elitist with opinions.

Alright, I guess I'll give X2 and the Ultrasones a try. What's this headphone that addresses the problem more? I'll look into that one but I'll guess it's out of my range.

I was considering the HiFiMan again but I just see a lot of complains on extension and now I'm finding comfort complaints as well. Screw it.

Thanks for clearing up on impedance, I thought it was just electrical resistance plain and simple. That said I think this and your comment on the build quality further eliminates the DT880 - but the biggest factor is that apparently the easier to drive version lacks quality it seems.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #28 of 65
Which is why I tend to take Reddit's opinion with a grain of salt anymore really - Be it Bernie Sanders or Valve vs EA or bashing Apple or whatever else, they're prone to worshipping one thing and bad mouthing others and just being elitist with opinions.

Yeah. No comment beyond that because I don't want to see a big political flame-war thread.

What's this headphone that addresses the problem more? I'll look into that one but I'll guess it's out of my range.

What? Or is this for Brooko?

I was considering the HiFiMan again but I just see a lot of complains on extension and now I'm finding comfort complaints as well. Screw it.

I've never tried a HiFiMan, and my biggest reason for not doing so is that they tend to be very heavy (400g+) and I know from past experience that doesn't work well for me. I have no idea if they sound good or not, or if they're comfortable (weight aside), I just avoid them because of the weight. I've seen recently there seems to be a newer generation of PM headphones that aren't as heavy, like those from Oppo, Fostex, and even newer HiFiMan cans, but I haven't tried any of those.

Thanks for clearing up on impedance, I thought it was just electrical resistance plain and simple.

Impedance is complex resistance in an AC system. Here's the Wikipedia article that explains it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

For a headphone/"in the real world" what you're seeing at 250 ohms or 300 ohms or 32 ohms or whatever is nominal impedance, which is a centered average (impedance varies w/frequency); some headphones have pretty flat impedance response graphs (planars being the most exaggerated, as they tend to just appear like a resistor, but there are some dynamic cans that have pretty flat impedance too), and others that are a lot more reactive (Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are the common examples of this). That flat/reactive thing can have an impact on frequency response, because it will interact with an amplifier's output impedance (which *is* generally a fixed value across frequency), and lead to changes in overall FR. It also relates to driveability but it isn't the entire story - impedance (or resistance) is one piece of that puzzle. Sensitivity (that is, power (or voltage, for some mfgrs*) input to output level in dB SPL) is the other piece - sensitivity will tell you your power target (working backwards), and impedance (and this is where nominal impedance *is* quite useful) lets you compare that to the amplifier. To use the HD 600 as an example (because you brought it up previously), they specify 97 dB/V at 300 ohms nominal, and the Fulla specifies 40 mW/ch into 300 ohms (which works out to around 3.5V) - with the HD 600 you'd be able to hit 100 dB SPL (that's dangerously loud (https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9735 ; http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/exposure_can.html ; http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks)) with no problem, and at a more typical 70-80 dB listening level, it should have absolutely no trouble. The same goes for something like the AKG K701, which require around 1.5mW to achieve 90 dB (they're fairly in-sensitive), but the Fulla provides more like 200 mW/ch for lower impedance load like the K701, so it'd still be able to get plenty loud (and before the "K701 require 500mW/ch" or "K701 require 1W/ch" or whatever - their maximum rated input power is 200mW/ch, so anything more than that is risking real damage to the headphone (to say nothing of your poor ears) - that doesn't mean you can't use them with an amp that provides more power; the amp doesn't provide 100% of its power output 100% of the time (that's why we have volume controls and whatnot)).

Higher impedance headphones require, proportionally, more voltage for the same power level as a lower impedance headphone with the same sensitivity (see Ohm's Law), but that doesn't mean higher impedance is always harder to drive. Like Brooko pointed out, the K701 actually end up being harder to drive than the HD 600, despite their lower impedance, because their sensitivity is lower (so their overall power requirements are higher). For desktop equipment this usually isn't a problem, but there are portable devices that can have problems with higher impedance loads because they will have trouble with the voltage requirements. In terms of "is one higher quality" - not explicitly. There are differences in how drivers are designed, and different manufacturers/products target different applications - the HD 600 (and the HD 580 before them) very clearly target professional and hi-fi systems that can deal with their voltage requirements, while a lot of newer, low-z cans (like Beats Pro) target mobile devices that generally don't have as much voltage swing. Beyerdynamic is odd-man-out because they offer multiple impedance SKUs of the same product, and truth be told I have no idea what their reasoning behind that is, but it certainly seems to cause quite a bit of confusion among people. But for example, there isn't a 32 ohm version of the HD 600, or a 400 ohm version of the K701 - there's just the HD 600 and K701.

You can look up measured sensitivity/power requirements from some review sites too, like InnerFidelity and PersonalAudio.ru. In some cases the measured result differs to an extent from the manufacturer's specified values, which may be a difference in measurement methodology (e.g. the reviewer is doing things differently than the manufacturer; this is also common to see such differences between different reviewers/review publications), or the manufacturer's numbers may not be entirely honest (I don't think this should be a big worry with mfgrs like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, etc though).

* A lot of manufacturers, like Audio-Technica and Grado, specify sensitivity in terms of power, so you'll see something that says 100 dB/mW. That means for 1 mW of input, 100 dB SPL is expected. Some manufacturers, like Sennheiser, specify sensitivity in terms of voltage, so you'll see something that says 100 dB/V. That means for 1V of input, 100 dB SPL is expected. You can work voltage/power backwards through ohm's law if you feel like converting.

The short version is - impedance is worth considering, but as long as your amplifier/device is rated for the nominal impedance of the headphones you're using (or want to be using), things should be at least compatible. This won't tell you about synergy though, which is a much more subjective discussion. Output impedance can be a factor there, but modeling/measuring that wrt headphone impedance can only tell you how it will behave, not whether or not you will like it. :)

That said I think this and your comment on the build quality further eliminates the DT880 - but the biggest factor is that apparently the easier to drive version lacks quality it seems.

I'm not saying the Beyers are "instant fall apart" quality but I do think they're somewhat over-rated - I wouldn't say they're any better than what you can get from Sennheiser, Ultrasone, or AKG (ignoring elastic band wear on some AKGs, but those are replaceable). I have no idea about the multiple SKU comparison thing - it's nothing I've ever had a mind to do, but I know there are reviews that have done it (and Brooko linked to an example up above).

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 65
I'm not saying the Beyers are "instant fall apart" quality but I do think they're somewhat over-rated - I wouldn't say they're any better than what you can get from Sennheiser, Ultrasone, or AKG (ignoring elastic band wear on some AKGs, but those are replaceable). 

Even my Philips SHP9500 has stronger build quality than my Sennheiser 4xx, HD558, and HD580.  And HD580 is similar to HD600, so the same applies.  And I can pretty much guarantee something on an AKG 701 will break before it will on the SHP9500.  (Such as those plastic slider pieces the inside of the headband moves on.)

Similar applies to Beyers.  They simply feel more durable.  I may not have to baby my Sennheisers, but they make me feel like I do. 

No detachable cable on Beyers, but that's not all that bad considering the connectors that come on the HD580/HD600 cable.  The Beyer cable also has more support at the plug jack.  In comparison, the Senn cable is like it's made for a portable headphone.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 65
He400 + sorb mod = <$300 + $30 = beats all the headphones on your list.

The problem with the he400 is the poor damping resulting in excessive resonance (echo chamber effect or disturbing force). Once you solve that, you have a spectacular pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back