Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1
Mar 11, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 121
  I can only find the momentums for $500

There are several US Sennheiser dealers that can offer you below $400 for the M2 AEBT.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #18 of 121
Mar 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 121
  Since you can get the Momentum 2 wireless for about $400, I see little reason to recommend the Symphony 1 if you cannot get any discount over MAP.
The Momentum 2 is the only one with metal construction and real leather of the ones you mentioned.

That said, I have tried one plastic one under $100 I like very much, the MEElectronics Air-Fi Matrix2 AF62 Bluetooth Wireless.  They are not noise cancellers.

On the expensive end, try the Parrot Zik 2.  The best noise canceller with terrific sound field IOS software.  For about $375

Sound wise, the Momentum 2 is your best choice.  The noise canceller takes getting used to.
I have been running with them for over a week and they lock solidly with my iPhone 6 plus.  I am now used to the funky noise canceller.  

Sum it up, get the M2 for $400

There are quite a few reasons for recommending the Symphony over the Momentum even at the same price. Comfort, size (for larger ears), better ANC, the fact you can turn it off and less bluetooth hiss for starters. If the sound quality was identical I'd get the Symphony for those reasons alone. Sound quality itself is still up in the air. Only a couple of professional reviewers have tried them both out and the reviews as to which is better are mixed. Did you try the Symphony out yourself? If you have it would be good if you could post a comparison.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 121
  There are quite a few reasons for recommending the Symphony over the Momentum even at the same price. Comfort, size (for larger ears), better ANC, the fact you can turn it off and less bluetooth hiss for starters. If the sound quality was identical I'd get the Symphony for those reasons alone. Sound quality itself is still up in the air. Only a couple of professional reviewers have tried them both out and the reviews as to which is better are mixed. Did you try the Symphony out yourself? If you have it would be good if you could post a comparison.

I tried them on and listened to Apple lossless tracks on my iPhone 6 plus.  For starters, my hat size (7.625) with where my ears are did not work well with the Definitive Tech Symphony 1.  I tried to bend them somewhat, but it just did not conform to my head due to design.  For comparison, the Parrot Zik 2 also did not fit my head.  Both of these cans have terrific noise cancellation and overall sound.  At the show, hands down.  The Symphony 1 wins over the Zik 2.  It's not that clear between the Symphony 1 and the Sennheiser M2.  The openness of the Definitive Tech Symphony 1 is neutral, not too warm not too bright. Perfect for classical.  Almost like speakers in a small room.  The M2 is a tad warmer with less roll off in the bass.  The imaging is where the M2 shined.  Close to what I remember with the HD800, in a much smaller travel package.

So, if you want a great travel can, the M2 works imho better than the larger bulkier Sympohony 1.  In my case, the larger Symphony 1 did not fit me better than the lighter and more compact M2.  

Here is where one really need to try before buying.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 121
I tried them on and listened to Apple lossless tracks on my iPhone 6 plus.  For starters, my hat size (7.625) with where my ears are did not work well with the Definitive Tech Symphony 1.  I tried to bend them somewhat, but it just did not conform to my head due to design.  For comparison, the Parrot Zik 2 also did not fit my head.  Both of these cans have terrific noise cancellation and overall sound.  At the show, hands down.  The Symphony 1 wins over the Zik 2.  It's not that clear between the Symphony 1 and the Sennheiser M2.  The openness of the Definitive Tech Symphony 1 is neutral, not too warm not too bright. Perfect for classical.  Almost like speakers in a small room.  The M2 is a tad warmer with less roll off in the bass.  The imaging is where the M2 shined.  Close to what I remember with the HD800, in a much smaller travel package.

So, if you want a great travel can, the M2 works imho better than the larger bulkier Sympohony 1.  In my case, the larger Symphony 1 did not fit me better than the lighter and more compact M2.  

Here is where one really need to try before buying.

Good comparison. We need more from people who have tried both. I agree with what you said on the Symphony and posted similar feedback on my review. The symphony has larger ear cups but smaller headband. Probably not good for people large heads or who wear hats and glasses. Did you find the bass to roll off in all modes or just with ANC off? I found the bass was good with ANC on but rolled off and weak with it off. Did you find the imaging better on the momentum than the symphony?

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 121
Good comparison. We need more from people who have tried both. I agree with what you said on the Symphony and posted similar feedback on my review. The symphony has larger ear cups but smaller headband. Probably not good for people large heads or who wear hats and glasses. Did you find the bass to roll off in all modes or just with ANC off? I found the bass was good with ANC on but rolled off and weak with it off. Did you find the imaging better on the momentum than the symphony?

The batteries were not charged, so just passive mode and the bass was not as good compared with my SE846 at the time or the active M2 that was nearby.
Since the comfort factor was strike one, I did not spend more time at the table.
As I remembered, Jazz at the Pawnshop HD tracks sounded equally spacious and smoky with both the S1 and M2.  The M2 a tad more because it felt less on my head.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 121
The batteries were not charged, so just passive mode and the bass was not as good compared with my SE846 at the time or the active M2 that was nearby.
Since the comfort factor was strike one, I did not spend more time at the table.
As I remembered, Jazz at the Pawnshop HD tracks sounded equally spacious and smoky with both the S1 and M2.  The M2 a tad more because it felt less on my head.

Yes there is a definite difference in sound quality between nc on and off and an even bigger difference between active and passive so if you listened passive you definitely didn't hear it at its best. Anyways we just have to wait a bit longer till more people have tried both to see some more comparisons between the two.

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 121
@paulchiu I don't really get your comments. I got the momentum wireless on a very good deal for £300, and I think one lucky forum member got an amazon misprice for $400, but they're retailing at $500 I understand, and can maybe be had for $450. The Symphony 1s have a retail price of $400.

As for sound quality, the symphony 1s are meant to be the best (albeit based on a mini review).

They are also a premium build of metal and real leather. Do you even know what they are?

The momentum wireless have major reported bluetooth issues, and aren't suitable for large ears. I returned mine due to comfort issues. They look and sound great, but are flawed in my opinion.

I'm currently waiting for the Symphony 1s to be available in the UK.

Edit: The above was based on your first response. Didn't realise you'd tried them out.

I think I have a largish head but wore the momentum wireless ear cups about two thirds down on their rails, so I don't imagine the headband size will be an issue on the Symphony 1s. Comparing the S1s in passive with the M2s active really isn't a good comparison of sound quality, as the M2s are meant to be one of the best in consistency between active and passive, whilst the S1s are more like other headphones with the passive mode notably worse apparently. It'd be like comparing the zik 2.0 in passive (which are meant to sound terrible in that mode).

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #25 of 121
  @paulchiu I don't really get your comments. I got the momentum wireless on a very good deal for £300, and I think one lucky forum member got an amazon misprice for $400, but they're retailing at $500 I understand, and can maybe be had for $450. The Symphony 1s have a retail price of $400.

As for sound quality, the symphony 1s are meant to be the best (albeit based on a mini review).

They are also a premium build of metal and real leather. Do you even know what they are?

The momentum wireless have major reported bluetooth issues, and aren't suitable for large ears. I returned mine due to comfort issues. They look and sound great, but are flawed in my opinion.

I'm currently waiting for the Symphony 1s to be available in the UK.

Edit: The above was based on your first response. Didn't realise you'd tried them out.

I think I have a largish head but wore the momentum wireless ear cups about two thirds down on their rails, so I don't imagine the headband size will be an issue on the Symphony 1s. Comparing the S1s in passive with the M2s active really isn't a good comparison of sound quality, as the M2s are meant to be one of the best in consistency between active and passive, whilst the S1s are more like other headphones with the passive mode notably worse apparently. It'd be like comparing the zik 2.0 in passive (which are meant to sound terrible in that mode).

On the Zik 2, I like the concert hall affects so much I bought it anyway for my son.  The Parrot Zik 2 does not fit at all on my large round head.  Regarding the Sennhesiser, my ears are just the size that does not get fully into the M2 earpads. Still, with both pads nearly positioned all the way down on the metal arms, the pressure from the headband worked on my shaped head.  So I listened more with it at the show and have now used it extensively in New York for 2 weeks.  The bluetooth took getting used to as it does pass speaking voices while I was in the plane as well as in the subway.  The tunnel tracks and jet engine hum were greatly reduced during all this.  I would prefer that all outside noise were eliminated but after a week, knowing there is on coming traffic while running works for me.

Regarding the S1, I really did want it to work for me.  It looked so comfortable on the stand.  It felt nice in the hands and I was amazed how light it was compared with the M2.  Once on the head, the design was like the Philips Fidelio X1 and the Bowers & Wilkins P7.  They looked so soft and inviting, but they all were not meant for my head.

You are right, it's not fair to compare the passive mode of the S1 with an active M2.
Unlike speakers, how headphone fits is really the first thing that has to work. I hope they fit you since you like the sound.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 121
@paulchiu

The difference between passive and active on the Symphony 1 isn't anywhere near as big as for the Zik. It it's still a pretty significant difference though and I'm guessing that is where some of the extra price of the Momentum went. It's more versatile than the Zik in the sense that they can be charged while listening via usb at the same time and the battery life is supposed to be better. Maybe they can be charged while listening in other modes too, didn't get a chance to try it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #28 of 121
  Still very limited availability of these?
Would love to try them out as they seem like one of the best ANC bluetooth headphone options at the moment.

Haven't managed to find any other reviews than the one @Noob2 linked to in his thread.

There is a review on Amazon that goes through all the pros and cons of it. Seemed a pretty good overall review though not that much was said about the sound.

PS: you quoted the wrong profile.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #29 of 121
Just got a set 2 days ago, and finally bose has been matched in anc! These are incredible. Unfortunately they have the same bt issues as some others out there. Walking in manhattan causes alot of stuttering. Shame really. Not sure why no one other than plantronics with their backbeats pro are including class 1 bt chip? Sound quality imo is mediocre too. Kind of dead sounding if that makes any sense? So they go back, and the quest continues. I would keep the backbeat pros, but they are just too heavy, bulky and not comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back