Defining moment?
Jun 8, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 34
lol, I know. When I built my cmoy, I thought "this will be it."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 34
The beginning of the end for me was when I typed "headphone reviews" in the search field of Yahoo. I was looking for some headphones to replace my 15 year old Nakamichi's that were falling apart. I bit the bullet and spent an unheard of amount on my SR-80s ($95.00), had them for a week before returning them and upgrading to some SR-225s.

That was a couple of years and a many thousand dollars ago.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
edit: Forgot to ask. Is it just me? Because every purchase I've made always felt like the final one. I mean, I'm making plans toward the blockhead in about 8 months or so. And this really do feel like the final final purchase. Maybe someone should just smack me upside my head

I actually did my best to smack darkclouds in the head this morning on IRC. Connecting a Blockhead to a stock 555ES is just way not enough source to match the overkill on the amp. It's hard to keep in mind that the amps we're all auditioning and splitting hairs over at the Headroom tour stops are being run from $6k sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

So um yeah *schmack* buy a Max if you like the Headroom sound and spend the rest upgrading your source. And throw in the Cardas cable for your HD600 there too. And maybe some ICs. And a good CD or two.
wink.gif

Last upgrade? Baha.

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #19 of 34
I had two "Holy Cow Batman" moments.
I bought(without being on head-fi) a set of senn HD470 cheap cans. I threw all my designated(came with the player) headphones away. I couldn't believe the difference.
Then I found head-fi. I got some grado sr60s. Are you kidding me?
I gave my cheap senns to a friend.
md

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #20 of 34
Hi Fred,

Quote:

Hey Quincy! I know about the bad ear problem. My right ear is superb, but the left one, well........

Sorry to hear about the bad ear. My right ear is completely dead, so I don't have to deal with a so-so ear, and there's not much tinnitus either.
I mix the left & right signal into mono between the source and the preamp (made my own cable), and still use headroom's processor. I think the pocessor add's depth back into the music so I can hear the individual voices&instruments better, even though there's no soundstage. when I listen to speakers, it's mono, with one speaker on top of the other, pushed back four inches. You might benefit from this, but you will lose all of the soundstage. I don't even miss it any more - lost my right ear 15 years ago.

I had a tumor on my hearing nerve. After surgery, the tumor's gone, but so are the ear organs & nerve.

Can't figure out what to do with all the right side's of my headphones...maybe Sennheiser can give me a discount!!
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #21 of 34
it initially started many many years ago when i found the very expensive sony earbuds i was using sounding badly compared to the headphones used on sound booths at record stores.

That lead me to my first Sennheiser, HD340.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
What was the moment/product that started you on your way to this hobby?

hot guys.

oh wait wrong forum.

biggrin.gif
Just kidding.
Bought a Sony MDP and the Sennheiser HD-495 for quality and looks. (The black and white photos on headphone.com are amazing!)

Fell in love and got into the HD 580s from ubid (after a brief romp at Headwize). I was satisfied until I went to Japan and picked up the EX-70 (in a two minute shopping sprint across Narita Airport). Did some post-purchase research and came across head-fi.

And I'm spreading the wealth around. I got my (cheap-ass
rolleyes.gif
) sister and brothers Sennheiser MX-500s, Koss KSC-35 and Panasonic CT 570. I "lost" my HD 580s to my elder bro after he put the guilt trip on me for having multiple sets of headphones (Audio Technica W100s). I'm headphone-shopping for a couple of my friends too...

And then they can allllll say that *I* was their headphone messiah.

*cough cough choke*

[edited for coherency and one-two-punch]

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:05 AM Post #24 of 34
Yeah, thanks Kelly, for the smack down. I didn't feel it the first couple of times around. But by the 5th or 6th time, and realizing how much deeper I'd have to dig into my pocket, I felt it.
rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna try and make it to the LA showing. Hopefully, I'll be able to quite satistified with the MOHR with stepped attenuator.

That'll be what i'm shooting for.

Jun 9, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
hot guys.
oh wait wrong forum.

LOL! Yeah, really, where? <S>

Next thing you'll be saying you were enticed to stay by all the political correctness. LOL!

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 34
Earlier this year I decided I needed some headphones that would block out more outside noise than the Kenwood phones I had. Internet search took me here. While deciding which closed phones to get I found myself at Circuit City and saw the Sony EX70 and Koss KSC50 that I read about here. After getting those home I realized how bad my Kenwood phones were. That's all it took.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 34
I had bought a pair of (gasp) V900s from a internet site in November of 2001. I listened to them for about five months or so and of course I was not satisfied with them. So I began searching the web for headphone sites and after a while I came to this very site and I immediatley went to the message boards section. I did a search of the V900 headphones and found out that no one else liked them either. Especially people like Eagle Driver
wink.gif
So then I went to the headphone reviews part of the boards and I went to Tomcats review of the ATH W100s. I noticed how much he loved his cans so I bought them myself. The rest is history.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk

Next thing you'll be saying you were enticed to stay by all the political correctness. LOL!

No kidding. After all the 'woody' and 'member of the opposite sex' threads, you just go. ... where are the chicks here?
biggrin.gif

...which interestingly enough is the second most uttered phrase by male head-fiers, after "wife acceptance factor."

wink.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack

No kidding. After all the 'woody' and 'member of the opposite sex' threads, you just go. ... where are the chicks here?
biggrin.gif

...which interestingly enough is the second most uttered phrase by male head-fiers, after "wife acceptance factor."

wink.gif

hey yea, what gives?? wheres all the head-fido chicks?

Jul 11, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
This will be sort of fun. What was the moment/product that started you on your way to this hobby? Ex: mine happened about a year ago. I was reading the hot deals forum at anandtech,

Another Anandtecher!

My headphone fetish started about 10 years ago maybe? When I bought a Jecklin Float. The problem was that in the intervening years I didn't really have enough cash to support more of such luxuries. Since about two years ago however, I have no such worries - within reason - so I've been buying stuff left, right and center to make up for my 'lost years'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back