Define Audiophile.
Nov 23, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 50
Someone with a constantly empty wallet.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 50
Music lover and audiophile are not synonims, not at all, I know some people that love music whatever the source is, even a crappy mono AM portable radio, and don't care a little bit about sound quality, on the other hand, there are a lot of audiophiles that instead of enjoying the music, are enjoying the sound of the equipment, and most of the times they don't care about the quality of the music itself, if it sounds good to them, but IMHO and in other words an audiophile for me has more to do with the audio equipment and its sonic quality than with the music, for me an audiphile is a person that never stops looking for a better audio rig, looking for better quality, or as Nick says looking for a source that sounds even more similar to the real life, to deliver the music he or she likes in a better and more enjoyable way, BUT of course is required a pretty good ear, and in good shape, otherwise it makes no sense to look for better audio stuff if your ears couldn't perceive the difference, when this happen, please stop looking for that ideal audio rig, that makes no sense, you will spend more money and will get the same quality....to your ears.....

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 50
I think people who dont care about sound quality are ignorant, no good, half assed, slackers. I don't care who you are. I bet Mozart cared about sound quality.

I think most audiophiles are NOT musician wannabes, I think most audiophiles are succesful, or trying to be succesful in some other facet of life and they enjoy music for relaxation. But because of the attitude that led to their success in the first place (a natural desire to strive for better) they end up becoming obsessed with the pursuit of better sound.

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #20 of 50
I'm a half assed slacker then.. I care about sound to a point, but.. I'd much rather listen to the music than worry about just how good the quality is.. untuned saxophone on the other hand.. urghh..

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 50
Audiophile: Someone who has heard enough good equipment to know what lousy equipment sounds like.

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 50
Obsessive disorders are common in the general population.

For some people, it can take the form of only one thing. This has happened with some of the greatest achievers in history. For others, the obsession can be trivial. Some people collect matchbooks, for example. Some of us have multiple obsessions at the same time. Still others are serial obsessive and this is where I find myself--a temporary audiophile, if you will.

The worst thing about having my kind of problem is that as we near the completion of our goal (collecting something, achieving a certain sound in equipment, etc.), it becomes anti-climatic. Looking back on what has been sacrfificed in terms of time, money and effort seems completely unworth it. Thinking about the greater things I could have done instead is often a heavy burden. As we near the end, the benefits of the obsession seem fewer. Whatever stress reducer or escape from reality the obsession had provided before begins to fade and we sometimes jump to the next so-called "hobby" or sometimes crash into a depression.

I am interested in music and music is an important part of my life despite never having been a musician or involved with music professionally. It is an artform that I have the deepest respect for and it brings me peace in times when little else does. I also have a sincere love of electronics despite not being an engineer. I love looking at things and beginning to understand what they do and how they work. It would be a passion if not for my inabilities.

But it is ultimately a question of priority and opportunity costs. I've known friends to blow thousands on home theater or tens of thousands on tweaks and modifications to their cars. Some of these people seem healthy enough, dedicating only a little time or money each week but only having one hobby such that the luxury can be afforded and sensible, however irrational it may seem to those of us who do not share the passion. I suppose also then there must be audiophiles who are rational, well adjusted and sensible. Surely some of you are just that.

I'm not. I'm just a person with a problem who found an expensive time-consuming outlet. I've recently had my eyes opened for me to many things and I hope to regain some control and be a part of this without being consumed by it. We'll see.

Nov 25, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 50
Kelly - I think that we, who migrate from hobby to hobby are just addicted to being fascinated. We are addicted to mental stimulation in areas that interest us, and at a level of complexity that's within our mental capacity to comprehend. These pursuits comprise a significant part of our joy in living, and I think that it's a marvelous state that we're in. For me, this is not a reason for depression, but a way to spend each day's time well, and a basis for meeting socializing with others who have common interests (e.g., this Head-fi group).

Nov 25, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Kelly - I think that we, who migrate from hobby to hobby are just addicted to being fascinated. We are addicted to mental stimulation in areas that interest us, and at a level of complexity that's within our mental capacity to comprehend. These pursuits comprise a significant part of our joy in living, and I think that it's a marvelous state that we're in. For me, this is not a reason for depression, but a way to spend each day's time well, and a basis for meeting socializing with others who have common interests (e.g., this Head-fi group).

mike
That's the difference between 200 posts and 3700 posts. One is an interest, the other is a disorder.

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #28 of 50
Not to take this thread off track, but that dallas thread brought back some memories. Here's one of kelly's comments there:

Quote:

My opinions of the HD600 are reaffirmed. I find them to be sloppy in the bass and unnatural everywhere else, as if they were running through someone else's ideal EQ settings.

biggrin.gif
How he's changed!

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
mike
That's the difference between 200 posts and 3700 posts. One is an interest, the other is a disorder.

A purpose of life is the enjoyment of thrills of "discoveries" that are a consequence of fascination. Self flagellation over what is ones constructive use of ones available time on this earth is wrong.

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
A purpose of life is the enjoyment of thrills of "discoveries" that are a consequence of fascination. Self flagellation over what is ones constructive use of ones available time on this earth is wrong.

mike
You just don't know how big the opportunity costs were.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back