Define Audiophile.
Nov 22, 2002 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
au·di·o·phile - A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction.

No adjective definition! Apparently we're not recognized yet :p

Give some quasi-audiophile definitions, heh.

Nov 22, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 50
A person who has the deepest of passions for music

[Hrumph, then I suppose "music lover" and "audiophile" are interchangeable for me.]

NGF

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 50
I think something else is at work here. Musicians in general are not as concerned about the quality of playback as the audiophile is. But I would say musicians have every bit the passion for music as an audiophile. These of course are generalizations, but in my course of adventures I find this to be true. I really do believe that audiophiles have an obsessiveness in their personalities. doug

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 50
I think the obsessive compulsive comment is right on. we are obsessive, I DEMAND PERFECTION IN EVERYTHING!! Except myself of course, well, I don't really make mistakes heh heh, but as the old saying goes, "I'm perfect."
eek.gif
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 50
True obsessives never see anything as perfect. They will find the flaw and become obsessed with that flaw. That sounds very much like the audiophile. The glass is always half empty with the obsessive. doug

Nov 22, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by tanfenton
A person who has the deepest of passions for music

Quote:

Originally posted by dkm24
But I would say musicians have every bit the passion for music as an audiophile.

i'm definitely with dkm24 on this one. except, in most cases, a musician cares way more about music than an audiophile does.

musician: actually takes steps to master an instrument(s) -- much hard work involved. additionally, a lot of musicians can play several styles of music.
audiophile : just sits in a chair. the only hard work is deciding which $500 interconnect to buy and how to hide the bill from the wife.

musician: will actually listen to the music -- namely for inspiration.
audiophile : listens to his system (not necessarily the music) and critiques every one of the numerous faults in the the playback (which will NEVER be perfect).

additionally, a musician has a lot riding on their love of music -- their career. this is not the concern of the audiophile.

of course, these are generalizations.

but as dkm24 points out, most musicians are not audiophiles. funny how that works, isn't it.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 50
I don't think anyone is every completely satisfied with life. If they were, they might as well just dry up and die, because there'd be nothing left to strive for. It's sort of this theory of perfection -- if an artist achieves perfection, how can that be topped once again? If it were truly perfect, it would never happen.

I used to think all audiophiles were obsessive. But now I feel like the term (often misused to mean someone with analytical hearing) is just something to describe someone who loves sound. It's just as its roots mean. audio = sound, phile = love.

I believe there are audiophiles amongst us who are quite satisfied with their rigs. Is it perfect? No. But who said you have to have to best to be satisfied?

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 50
Here is how I describe myself:

When I was young I would be captivated when I would go into an audio store. I loved the atmosphere. I really loved the gear. The loved the SOUND of well reproduced music. I do not like music nearly as well from a crumby source. Musicians love music from most any source. Musicians in my opinion listen to music quite differently than I do. My ex-brother-in-law was a musician. He did not have a stereo in his house. He loved to bang out tunes on his piano. Thats what satisfied him. When I would listen I would try to see if MY speakers could create his sound. I think there in lies the differences. Audiophiles are more interested in reproducing the music than the music itself. This seems to wrankle audiophiles. They seem to swear this off, but I experienced the differences first hand. doug

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by dkm24
But I would say musicians have every bit the passion for music as an audiophile.

And I'm not saying they don't, or even that other people apply the term "audiophile" as I do. Nor am I saying that an audiophile's passion runs deeper than a musician's--each can reach that deep, and I believe, despite the language barrier, that the emotional connection we sometimes make with music brings performer and listener closer than some people give it credit.

(Good) musicians are the greatest of audiophiles in my mind. I spoke my own truth and, in a way, my own desire. Would I like it to be true for others in this hobby, more of a truth for myself? Absolutely.

Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
audiophile: listens to his system (not necessarily the music) and critiques every one of the numerous flaws in the the playback (which will NEVER be perfect).

Yeah, a generalization, because I don't do this.

NGF

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 50
I've recently started discovering how often people use the word Audiophile as an insult
frown.gif

When do you stop becoming an Audio Enthusiast and make the step to Audiophile?

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 50
Well, I think people associate audiophiles as musician wannabes. That they lack the art, and drive to be a musician so they just throw money at equipment and think that they are in some snob circle with discerning taste. That may be true to a point, but as with me I would much rather enjoy music than create it. My focus in life is not music, it is merely a past time and hobby. Musicians don't understand that about equipment junkies. doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back