Defective H320?
May 26, 2005 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

audiojoe1

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased the Iriver H 320 and I have tried to rip my mp3 data into bitrates higher than 220 and the Iriver will not play them. Just skips over it and basically wont play it...sometimes it pauses so long I would think it was frozen. Anything below that plays just fine and the sound quality is good. Its just that on some recordings I do hear artifacting and would like a slightly higher bitrate.
Has anyone else experienced this same problem.
Right now the H320 does not have a firmware upgrade(was the first thing I checked before asking)
Regards
joe

May 26, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiojoe1
I purchased the Iriver H 320 and I have tried to rip my mp3 data into bitrates higher than 220 and the Iriver will not play them. Just skips over it and basically wont play it...sometimes it pauses so long I would think it was frozen. Anything below that plays just fine and the sound quality is good. Its just that on some recordings I do hear artifacting and would like a slightly higher bitrate.
Has anyone else experienced this same problem.
Right now the H320 does not have a firmware upgrade(was the first thing I checked before asking)
Regards
joe

Something could be wrong, with your iriver, or perhaps it is just the firmware. I have WAV, MP3, WMA, and OGG files on my iRiver. I have 320KBps .mp3s, various VBR .mp3s, some low bitrate Mp3s, few WMAs at crappy 128KBps, and all my Ogg files from q6 to q10 (500KBps). They all play fine. BTW I am using the korean firmware 1.28, in my US player. You may want to rty a different firmware, however once you change the firmware, if you own an US player, the DRM playback capability will be lost forever.

May 26, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 17
first off make sure you update to the latest firmware.

secondly are you using all previously used mp3 or are these newly ripped mp3? if so what program and what codec are you using to create the mp3?

May 26, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Tried the firmware thing...are there sites other then Iriver to get firmware from? These were newly ripped mp3's....and I'm just using Windows media 10 to rip them. Not sure the codec.
Please reccomend other programs(and possible places to buy/download them) for ripping mp3's admittedly I am a noobie when it comes to that.
thx
joe

May 26, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but try ripping your songs with something other then Windows Media. I remember I used it before and it added a DRM tag or something so that afterwards I couldn't play it with foobar anymore.

You can use EAC or dBpowerAmp to rip them.

May 27, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 17
for firmware upgrades, go to iriver.com, not iriveramerica.com

there hasn't been an official US firmware update for the H320 yet, but plenty for the other countries H320's which work fine on US players and add stuff like WAV and Video support, though don't support DRM if you enjoy paying for overpriced lossy music

May 27, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 17
Try using dBpower AMP. I've been using mine for some time now (few months???). I like it better for ripping cds I don't really care too much about. It's faster and friendlier.
biggrin.gif

As for getting them only ripped into .wav, i think another member was having that same problem. Don't know if it has been fixed yet.
plainface.gif

May 27, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 17
If i can use eac, anyone can!

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=EAC_and_Lame

Try that out. If you have wav's on your pc already, just click Tools/Compress wavs and select the wav files and it'll compress them. You should see a black box pop up (thats lame) doing its magic.

May 27, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 17
I downloaded a version of lame and placed it where it needed to be in EAC but now I cant get compression rates of more then 196 lol. Even if I change it in the EAC settings. I'm going to try the link that you gave in your last post.

May 27, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 17
I downloaded EAC to try and rip a few cds which are a bit scratched and made a clicking sound because of the bad disks, but the thing is when i ripped the disks there was pauses in the track which did not happen with Cdex (this is before i did the error correcting).
Can anyone help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back