deep space nine, my favorite star trek series, name your fav episodes
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I started my star trek fandom about 10 years ago when i read a few of the trek novelizations by James Blish. I have listened to star trek the original series a few years ago, i actually bought the dvds and it was quite expensive. I really liked the series, some of the stories were great and I really liked some of the characters (though emphatically not captain Kirk) then i got out of the scene for a while because those dvds are so expensive. RecentlyI got into it again because my brothers are fans of voyager so I got that series (though not on dvd) and I really liked it especially the ex-borg Seven of Nine and the doctor (hologram).
A few months ago i did the seem with tng although i did not like it as much because I did not connect with characters as much as i did in tos or voyager (it did not have the character development of voyager and neither the continuity) I liked Picard though and worf and data.
Now I am listening to deep space nine and i think its great It took me a while to get into but it now really is my favourite star trek series of all.
I also have listened to the movies but they were not so good nor was the animated series.
I still have to listen to star trek enterprise but I dont have high hopes for it. I still want to go through the tng and ds9 extras.
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 24
Not a trekkie but I liked Voyager also yeah that's right I said it so shove it nerds.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 24
TOS

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 24
Hello everyone, I dont understand why tng should be clearly better then ds9 it is not at all obvious to me. I dont concider myself a trekkie or a trekker either, i dont know the klingon language neither can I identify all the episodes. I am just a big fan and consider star trek as something really special.
Tos was very special to me, some very original stories and all the star trek foundation ideas were obviously made her. Spick is also probbably one of my favourite trek characters ever. Its just that I really HATE James t. Kirk and i was born in 1985 so some things about tos are just clearly outdated. Also I think most of season 3 is just really bad and out of character.
About it taking a while to get into ds9, my brother had this problem too but after 2 seasons I really got into it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 24
DS9 is the worst of all the series, except for the last 2 seasons of ENT

TNG, to me, will always be the best Star Trek.

VOY had a poor plot, and the borg stuff (especially as the series progressed) got a bit campy. However, the characters were phenomenal, and more than any other series we saw decent development between all of them.

TOS has a charm that I cannot explain. It certainly pulled all the stops when it came to creative storytelling
biggrin.gif

ENT was an excellent show! It modernized the franchise, which imo was a good thing, especially when exploring sexuality (regardless of whether or not it was a stunt to generate higher ratings
wink.gif
). The ruggedness of the show went hand-in-hand with the feel of true exploration of the unknown. It bridged what we loved about TOS with much better writing, and had more down-to-earth characters than any of the 24th-century shows. IGNORE THE XINDI ARC, AND PRETEND THE ENTIRE THIRD AND FOURTH SEASONS DIDNT EXIST. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THOSE WERE ACTUALLY PART OF STAR TREK.

DS9 was a mess. It started out boring, and was chalk full of political and religious symbolism that I wouldnt necessarily have minded, if it werent approached so poorly. The characters were dull, less Quark. In the end, the show degraded into "Star Trek Wars." If you want a space station show which better tackles religion, politics, and war, has more interesting characters, with far superior writing, check out Babylon 5.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 24
Hello well, I guess then we will have to agree to disagree. I havent checked out enterprise that so I cant judge on that but I can tell you if deep space nine would have been all about space wars then I would have hated it. I mean I hate all those kind of action movies (I am blind and those kind of movies are jus tvery difficult to get any enjoyment out of) if deep space nine would have been anything like htat then I would have hated it. But I love deep space nine because it has so many different stories and it really looks at things in star trek and expresses a darke rmore human less idealistic view of htings. In the beginning I had problems accepting captain Sisko because he just did not seem like a starfleet person to me neither did Bashir. But that that got better after a season or two. I also really liked the ds9 villaisn because they are really 3 dimensional characters.
I personally like janeway and picard the best if we are just talking about starfleet captains. Janeway because of her wry humour compassion and humanity and Picard because of his coolnesss and authority. I still overall think ds9 is the best though (grin).
I also really liked lwaxana troi in both tng and deep space nine (although she could get a bit campy in the beginning of tng, dark page and menage a troi were great).
Just my opinions,
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 24
i can accept your opinions 100%, because it is quite clear that you actually have a true love for Star Trek
smily_headphones1.gif

for me though, Gul Dukat's "third dimension" (for lack of a better term) was unrealistic. he was always truly evil, and any and all episodes in which he was supposed to express a human side felt forced to me. the rest of the villains, especially weyoun and the changlings, lacked any hint of depth to me, although this view could quite possibly be due to my distaste with the series by the last few seasons
wink.gif

you hit the nail on the head with your views on the captains
smily_headphones1.gif
Janeway was the only reason I persevered through the first season of VOY. the series got a lot better second season and beyond, of course, but both the character as well as Kate's acting made the show worth watching by themselves!

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 24
I've never worn an outfit or attended a convention, but I've always enjoyed Trek. I preferred TNG to the others, but I think the new movie franchise has potential if they move it from space opera to more intellectual storylines.

I think the reason TNG put a hook into me was because I spent a year in a boarding house where the other seven residents watched it religiously. I got pulled into it with them, watched the rest of the re-runs, and went to see the movies.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 24
Hey, so nice to meet another star trek fan on head-fi, happy that I am not the only (non-trekkie) fan around. Yes I had to get used to voyager too I myself did not particularly like cakotay or belanna *Although I liked her in the episode where her klingon and human sides get split) i liked tuvok though he did get the vulcan voice totally right. The series really picked up for me after Seven of nine arrived, she had such a very complicated and conflicted character just like spock in tos. I did NOT like the fact that Seven ended up wit Chakotay, i found it to be a BIG mistake and I am happy some fans (on youtube) do think te seem way. I think it was just too sudden and unexplained. I also think, wile I really like the doctor, they made the hologram a bit unrealistic towards the end, I really could not htink how all that would be possible.
At this time I am listening to the last few episodes of ds9 and I really found it ironic that Gul dukat was struck by blindness. I too am a bit conflicted by the gul duikat character. I was not sure at all if he was purely or totally evil in the beginning, there are always shades of grey, every gangster has a family and a life away from te job. I think Dukat was not true to himself htough and did not see his real motives and emotions, he certainly had some psychopathic traits that he himself did not realize.
I must agree that, indeed besides gul dukat and Kai Winn the other villais were rather thin. I liked Brunt though and Garrak, although Garrak was not really a villain.
But then again ds9 was not all about individual villains as tos and next gen and even voyager were but about war and the effects of war, not just individual battles either. It was also about the persons living on ds9 their relationships and perosnal problems.
The series really grew on me, i truly did not like Bashir in the beginning, i found him to be shallow arrogant and womanizing and not really like a starfleet doctor at all. But i liked him better after a few seasons.
Ok sorry for all my star trek rambling but I am really enjoying those last few episodes.
Greetings, Anouk

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 24
I'm not a hard core trekkie but I did just watch then entirety of TNG in the span of a couple months, I would have done it faster if it wasn't for work
smily_headphones1.gif
I like TNG don't get me wrong but I prefer the story lines in TOS and the actors, Deforest Kelly and George Takei are amazing say nothing of Bill Shatner and Nemoy.
TNG got so much better when Wil Wheaton left, then he comes back and can suddenly go through time and space give a break.

I don't have too much experience with DS9 I should get all of the episodes one of these days.

Darmok, Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 24
Hello, Yeah I too am not a wesley crusher fan. I tried to like him I really did but he is just the mary sue of star trek if that makes sense. Laforge on the other hand now thats a different story...The only klingon words I know are kapla, par mach and t'pach (sorry phoenetic spelling).
I was not a fan of the movies, too much action, too little story/plot. I havent seen the new movie yet nor the tng based ones.
I want to get into the star trek novels although I do not think many of them will be that good.
oh btw any music that reminds you of star trek in any way either in melody or in message/lyrics or in mood?
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 24
not a star trek fan, but really enjoyed the recent movie release. my first introduction to the story. so you guys recommend DS9 or TNG series? i just bought a "james kirk" space suit for halloween, still debating if i should wear it. people will probably think i'm Zulu though, since i'm asian.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back