Decware CSP2+ light on bass, especially when used as preamp?
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

supra1988t

Head-Fier
About 5 years ago I bought a used csp2+ which was sent to Decware for a checkup to transfer the warranty. I've used it mostly as a headphone amp with HD650s and AKG K7XXs and its always been a little light on bass imo but acceptable with headphones. Clarity and soundstage are amazing and never fatiguing with the HD650s. I have also used it on and off as a preamp but always go back to my old Ampex pre due to lack of bass and midbass. I have a Knight KB-85 poweramp and old EV Royal 400 speakers as well as some Klipsch knockoff corner horns. The Decware basically does everything better than the Ampex except for the lower frequencies, soundstage and imaging are much better, the noise floor is lower, highs are cleaner etc. Now maybe its just me as I was raised with tone controls on everything but the csp2+ is just lacking bass. Its there but has very little impact and just sounds out of proportion. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to rock or classical, it just doesn't sound right to me. I've tried numerous tubes and rectifiers, the best combination imo being a Bugle Boy 6dj8 in the center and 6h1ns in the other two slots with a Webber copper cap solid state rectifier.

Am I the only one who finds this amp lacks bass? I love everything else about it but I just need more on the low end. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back