Decreasing output impedance of atrio m5 / m8
Jul 2, 2008 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr_Junesequa

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

Meier-Audio <- click on tips and tricks

Was wondering if it is worth lowering the output impedance of the phones by adding and adapter as above?

I run the iem's straight from the sony nwzA818.

does anyone know where I can get an adaptor?

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 11
bump

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Meier-Audio <- click on tips and tricks

Was wondering if it is worth lowering the output impedance of the phones by adding and adapter as above?

I run the iem's straight from the sony nwzA818.

does anyone know where I can get an adaptor?

You can get an adapter from eBay (search for a P to S adapter) which RAISES output impedance, not lowering like you said. I don't think lowering it is possible without any internal modification.

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 11
Atrio M5 only has a low impedance of 32ohms, why would you want it to be lower?

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atrio M5 only has a low impedance of 32ohms, why would you want it to be lower?

To take a quote from the website linked in the first post...

Quote:

If your headphone sounds dark and muddy and is driven by an amplifier or receiver, you might try to decrease the effective output impedance. This also can be done by an adapter, but this time the resistors (with value Ra) are placed in parallel with the audio-channels of the headphone. The effective output impedance of the combination of headphone jacket and adapter becomes (without proof)

I'm guessing the OP finds the m5's too dark.

I'd also be interested in this adaptor for my M5's to see what it would do to the sound.

Paul

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 11
The OP is using a DAP, EQing seems to much easier than trying to lower the impedance. Plus, the whole section is about tweaking the impedance on the power amp/receiver that assumed to have resistor b/w 200 and 600 Ohm placed in front of the headphone out, not DAP.

I don't think changing 32ohm to 16ohm will make that much of a difference (the example given by Meier is 470ohm > 150ohm).

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 11
If all you're wanting to do is make it a bit brighter then you can try buying a cheap 75Ω (or a bit higher, up to you) adaptor on eBay. I have no idea what the theoretics are, but when I used a 120Ω adaptor with my (now gone) SCL4/E4s, it shifted the sound up towards the bright end and killed most of the bass off.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 11
I have one of those on the way already
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 11
use increased impedance adapter between dap and iem to reduce hissssss

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Jul 6, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 11
In your original post you wanted to lower the impedance but all your talk and links are about raising the impedance. I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back