Decisions, decisions, decisions
Apr 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Meshaboo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm a junior in high school. I'll definitely be going to college soon, but the problem is I don't know what I want to do!!
You see, I really love music, technology, and sound (of course, because im on Head-Fi). I'm really interested in a Music Industry or Music & Sound Recording major. The problem is that I don't know how to play any instrument and most colleges I've looked at require an audition for admission, except for a few. One major decision I'm trying to make is to do this as a major or minor; what would be the best option? UGGHH!!!
I really love electronics and technology, and I love taking things apart and seeing how they work. Is there some type of major or career that involves this?
I'm also really into writing and reading... I know that some colleges have a Creative Writing program, so thats not really an issue.
I love children and animals; taking care of them, etc... does a child care or animal care major even exist???
I'm interested in Communications, too. Plenty of colleges have this, so this isnt an issue either.

Can someone give me some advice and also help me find out what majors include my interests??
sorry if you're confused or anything, I was just wirting from the top of my head and couldnt get my thoughts together immediately, lol. Ask questions if needed!!

Thanks!
Mesha

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 40
My greatest advice to a person is to find what is your talent.

I am glad I am not a man without talents that would just suck. What is your talent??? What do you love to do?

Something....that's a talent not a skill something that's been there and is embedded in you.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 40

Quote:
My greatest advice to a person is to find what is your talent.

I am glad I am not a man without talents that would just suck. What is your talent??? What do you love to do?

Something....that's a talent not a skill something that's been there and is embedded in you.

Hey, I'm so sorry I'm replying late, I was sick. My talents... um... I love to take things apart (electronics) and see how they work... I like to write... My parents and I believe I'm very creative ( I used to make clay sculptures, build things, think of new ways to do school projects; I guess you can say I'm artistic?) I love to help and take care of others; is that a talent? I know there are probably more, but I just haven't discovered them yet. I'm still young! lol

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
Why dont you try electrical engineering minoring in something musical like sound recording

Doesn't elecctrical engineering require a high level of math & science skills? I'm horrible in both...

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 40
Same I hate math.

Hmmm, that writing thing what have you wrote??? Have any material or a short story???

Writing is something I can do well lets see what you got. 

All I can say about the electrical and talents, is I used to think I wanted to do computers, first it was chemist, firefighter but that was just a kids ambition. Something like "ooooo that's cool I wanna do that"

Think of something you can picture yourself doing, that you would enjoy doing and F the money get that out of your head in my case im a seriously strong believer you can't do something unless you like it. <(Not to say that you can't but that it's a F'd up situation to be in) I went into construction for money and that failed I do it on the side because of a family business thing which is intertwined with something else but that is not my talent. What is something that you would love to do???

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 40
^ 1+. Different perspectives. I know plenty of people who wished they'd picked something they liked instead of what they didn't.

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 40
Hey Meshaboo,

I've just finished my first year of university and this is what I've learned so far:

- take any class that seems interesting to you. If my uni is anything like your college then the first year courses should all, or mostly, be introductory courses. This is great because you are exposed to every aspect of the field and there are many different subjects compared to high school.
No one is really sure what they want to do at the beginning of post-secondary. Some people don't even pick a major going into first year and basically pick any intro classes that they think to be interesting. Even if you do choose a major you should still have a choice of some option/elective classes.

So basically what I am saying is don't worry so much about having everything planned out and correct before even experiencing college/uni. It is relatively relaxed when it comes to first year choices. They are designed to help you find what you want to do but you must work hard to achieve what you want.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:
^ 1+. Different perspectives. I know plenty of people who wished they'd picked something they liked instead of what they didn't.

Story of my life, bro

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 40
Can't help you out much because I don't know you - and you're probably still figuring yourself out (if you're like me this will go on for a while)!
However, I do feel for you and can share my own experiences from that point in life.

Through junior year I didn't know for sure what to study in college. Worse, I was starting to stress about career choices - having a nasty form of agoraphobia that prevents any kind of travel, all kinds of great careers and jobs were not an option. I was strong in math, and liked it, so I considered studying that in college, or the sciences that are math-heavy (e.g. physics). However, I was worried about the somewhat limited career prospects after graduation - going the route of academia is always an option, but I didn't want to be limited to that. 

Late junior year, a certain physics project sparked off an interest in simple electronic circuits. Spent the summer teaching myself about them; learned very little - turns out I'm not so good at that stuff, heh. However, at that point I planned to enter GA Tech as an Electrical Engineering major and figured strong math skills would carry me through.

Senior year, I signed up for the AP Comupter Science class. Not sure why exactly; suppose I figured solid computer skills would help with EE, plus everyone older than me was advising "ooh, are you into computers? you SHOULD be!" (this was just a few years before the dot-com bubble). The class was taught using Turbo Pascal (a "cute" programming language for students), and I LOVED IT right from the start. I dug that I could get what I liked about circuit design - conceiving, designing, and build your own tools/applications. Additionally, programming seemed far more expressive and came more naturally (I suppose from the background in math/logic), and was less tedious (good debugging tools, instant feedback, no need to source parts, etc). I also dug that it felt relatively easy, while other peers struggled. So I switched my declared major from EE to CompSci before entering Tech, went through the program, picked up a job (despite the recent dot-com bubble burst), and have been working (mostly) happily for 10 years :)

For senior year, I'd say stack up on those AP/college-level courses - take courses at a community college if your school doesn't have good AP courses - and just see if anything resonates with you. Experiment; those level of courses are the only ones in a high school that have any CHANCE of teaching slightly interesting stuff. Of course there's always the various trades, which can lead to a great career, but that's not what academic institutions are really for (some would say software development is really a trade). 

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 40
so, have you made your mind?

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back