Decision between DT250-80 and V6
Oct 27, 2002 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JVOBIKER

Head-Fier
I currently have the KSC-35s (on my iPod) and I think they are great but I hate how they are so open. I listen to most of my music on my subway rides to school and sometimes I can't even hear the music while on the train. I listen mostly to punk, alternative rock, heavy metal, and once in a while rap. I have rounded it down to the DT250-80 and V6 plus an amp. I am pretty sure I will be getting the Super Mini amp when fixup.net starts selling them again. Which would be better for my purposes? Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm still plunging into this headphone hobby of mine... so as of yet I have not actually heard the V6 nor the DT 250-80s (I'm assuming you meant the Beyer DT 250-80s, not HD250-80?), so I can't really give advice on how the two sound in comparison, or on how much they respectively isolate from ambient noise.

What I will comment on are the pricing and the portability.

From a pricing point, the V6s can be had for a pretty good bargain from certain sources for ~$65. I believe the DT 250-80s will run you significantly more, at least double that price.

Th other thing I'd like to comment on is the portability of the V6. Since you will be on the train, I'm assuming you'll want something portable and the V6s fold up, unlike the DT 250-80s.

You were probably aware of this, and now that I look back at it, sorry if this was a worthless post.

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Yea...sorry about that. I fixed it up and I was actually talking about the DT250-80s. That is true that the V6's fold up which I like because I am pretty rough with my bag and if its all folded it will probably be less likely to break. I was also thinking that I could get the Beyer velour replacement pads for the V6s because I heard they are much more comfortable. Thanks for the response.

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Hmm...

The V6 are definetly damned good 'phones, especially for the case...

The DT250s sound warmer, richer than the V6, with a snappier (dare I say) smaller (more controlled) bass, and are cut off in the treble, so if you like a heavy, zingy sound, then the Beyers, I don't think would be for you... ~ the V6 sounds perfect
biggrin.gif

But, if you want a 'phone that is more universal, can play vocals if called for, or the odd piece of classical... then the DT250 could be just the ticket
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 6
It seems like the V6s are a better match for me. They are also a lot cheaper and I can spend the money I save on the amp and the velour pads.

P.S. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the pads. I have a phone number that I can call to buy them but I wanted to order them online except I can't find them at the beyerdynamic site.

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Since you're going to be on the subway for a portion of your listening time, you may want something that counteracts the low-frequency vibrations and general rumbling associated with riding in large metal coffins under the ground. In that case, perhaps a pair of 'phones that have a strong (read: exaggerated) bass response will be helpful in countering those ambient LF vibrations without the customary increase in volume that may lead to hearing loss. Since most people say the V6s have that strong bass, it may do you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back