Deciding on which grado...
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kaladar

New Head-Fier
Hihi

I´m new here and hope you can help me out here as my friends are of little help. They think I am nuts when I say I´m buying headphones over $300  :)

I have owned Grado SR80 for about 10 years now! They have proven just fantastic and durable, but now I´m looking for an upgrade. I remember how at first the SR80 was uncomfortable and could not listen to them for extend time but I guess I developed reptile-like ears during the time period I had them and it does not bother me that much anymore :)

But even though I can wear the SR80s for couple of hours I can't but notice how comfortable the GS1000i seem to be..

My only option to buy the GS1000i is through ebay as they are not sold in my country and I need to use PayPal...
Do you know if there are any reports of fake ones being sold on Ebay?

I´m looking into bying from this seller, he seems to be the only seller located in US, if I choose seller from the UK the price is at least +$500
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Grado-GS1000i-Statement-Series-Headphones-/230650761449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b3db50e9

I was also thinking about other Grado's at first,  the SR325i,  RS-1 and RS-2, but wonder if they all share the same ear cup as the SR80.

Would be glad if you have any advice for me :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 8

Just grab an RS1 and be done with it.

Quote:

Hihi

I´m new here and hope you can help me out here as my friends are of little help. They think I am nuts when I say I´m buying headphones over $300  :)

I have owned Grado SR80 for about 10 years now! They have proven just fantastic and durable, but now I´m looking for an upgrade. I remember how at first the SR80 was uncomfortable and could not listen to them for extend time but I guess I developed reptile-like ears during the time period I had them and it does not bother me that much anymore :)

But even though I can wear the SR80s for couple of hours I can't but notice how comfortable the GS1000i seem to be..

My only option to buy the GS1000i is through ebay as they are not sold in my country and I need to use PayPal...
Do you know if there are any reports of fake ones being sold on Ebay?

I´m looking into bying from this seller, he seems to be the only seller located in US, if I choose seller from the UK the price is at least +$500
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Grado-GS1000i-Statement-Series-Headphones-/230650761449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b3db50e9

I was also thinking about other Grado's at first,  the SR325i,  RS-1 and RS-2, but wonder if they all share the same ear cup as the SR80.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard of any fake Grados.

You probably won't want the GS1000i though. Yeah, the salad bowl pads will be more comfortable, but they change the sound considerably. The GS1000i seems designed for classical and acoustic music.

I agree with Schwallman and say go straight for RS1. If you're working your way up the Grado line you'll want one eventually anyway. Or you can try to find a used HF2, which I think is fantastic. It's the only high-end Grado I've heard though, so I'm biased. You should shop around this forum's For Sale section in addition to eBay. I think you'll need more posts before you can start to send PMs and post to people about sales.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 8
You can see which headphones use which cushion here:

http://bit.ly/oCyO5B 

Basically the SR60, 80 & 125 use the S-cush, the SR225, 325, RS1 & 2 use the L-cush, and the GS & PS use the G-cush. Some people actually use the G-cush pads on the lower models but I've never liked that combo.

Quote:

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

You should be able to buy any of the pads alone.  If that's a concern-  get whichever model you really want and match a pair of pads as needed.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The HF2 wasnt in your list but I owned the RS1 and HF2 at the same time. I thought the HF2s were better. Thats just me though.

I also think the HF2s are better overall except for classical.

Quote:
You should be able to buy any of the pads alone.  If that's a concern-  get whichever model you really want and match a pair of pads as needed.

Be careful when doing this though cause the sound will change noticeably depending on the combination you use. Sometimes not for the better.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys,

I will probably go for the RS-1 then, I mostly listen to rock / metal maybe should have said that to begin with.
I will order the RS-1 and the L pads and can then decide if it changes the sound too much to be usable.

My old SR80's actually use the S pad or something very similar.. but then again it´s over 10 years since I bought those :)

Is a headphone amp a must have right from beginning when using the RS-1? Are those DIY amps any good?

Sorry for making yet a new thread about deciding which headphone to get... just noticed the thread where one is asked not to make new threads of this type.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back