Deciding on cable for K702: Double Helix or Moon Audio?
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

AuralRelations

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at both cables and the both have a large following. The prices are pretty much the same with the exception that Double Helix 6ft costs the same as the 5ft Moon Audio Black Dragon. I emailed Drew and asked if the Blue or Black Dragon would be better and he recommended the Black Dragon for the K702. Can owners of either cable weigh in on the merits of each cable? 

What I'm looking for is to give my K702s a more lively, musical presentation. It sounds a bit flat and boring with the stock cable. I keep finding myself reaching for my Grados after listening to the K702.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 24
A nonbeliever I see. Could be that I'm crazy but I do hear differences with different cables.

Hopefully I'll get some replies from people who actually want to help.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 24
I question the improvements vs. cost.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 24
Regardless of whether you get an influx of non-believers chiming in and taking the mickey, or a stream of devoted cable advocates promoting the benefits of the cable they own/heard once at a meet; one should not look at cables as producing a night and day difference to anything.  If you find the K701 as lifeless, flat, and boring, do you really expect a cable to turn them into a musical beast?  If a cable completely changes the nature/sound signature of a headphone why would any cable believer purchase a different headphone, let alone consider a different amp or source.  If you don't like the presentation of the K701 then get rid of it and purchase something that is more Grado/up front (to your liking).  If you do go with a cable for a home headphone like the K701, consider carefully whether 5 foot is long enough.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the input. I'm not expecting night and day differences. I do like the AKGs sound, don't get me wrong but I feel like I can improve the sound a bit. The cables are expensive, no argument there, and cost as much as the headphones themselves. I don't wish to get rid of the K702 since there are some things that it does really well. They are my reference 'phones. The Grado is not the most neutral of headphones but makes music fun but I enjoy the presentation of classical music on the K702s better. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 24
I owned both the DHC and Blue Dragon cables...I thought the DHC cable was of better quality, both in build and sound. The difference wasn't huge though.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 24
I did a dual entry in my k702 when i used to own them  with double helix cable, the thinner stuff. really not much of a change. They were a bit more manageable to listen to but still not my thing. id stick with moon if i were you dhc is good but might not be your flavour

Edit:  ^ yea dude, horse a piece. do it if you want a pretty cable but get different amp if you want to change the sound to good audible levels

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 24
I had the K702 at one time. I returned it because I too thought it sounded lifeless. Well, I bought the K701 recently, but now I own a few different amps to pair it to. The K701 and Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 really sings with the K701. It's even better than my $1100 Lehmann Audio BCL with the K701. I say save your money on upgrading the cable. Get a good amp first.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I had the K702 at one time. I returned it because I too thought it sounded lifeless. Well, I bought the K701 recently, but now I own a few different amps to pair it to. The K701 and Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 really sings with the K701. It's even better than my $1100 Lehmann Audio BCL with the K701. I say save your money on upgrading the cable. Get a good amp first.

Yeah I understand that the amp will provide the most difference. I am saving up for a WooAudio 6 that I have been lusting after for two years. Price is prohibitive, obviously. I am still curious about the opinions of K701/2 owners who have these two cables. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 24
You can buy some of that Double Helix cable in bulk for under $60 (Four 6' cables). It's more expensive, but might be worth it. Has anyone went from standard Canare/Mogami cable to that and noticed a difference?
You can even buy bulk Cardas cable and save yourself $100. You can have it premade for $200-$260 or under $100 if you DIY. Cardas cables pre-made seem to have a huge markup and I can totally understand why.

I just bought some Canare cable in bulk for 50 cents per foot and I'm going to recable my HD-650 and K702. I'll eventually try the Double Helix cable. Hopefully it will be worth the extra money.

Headphone recables are not expensive if you do it yourself, so try it out! If I don't notice a difference, then I probably will stop there.

Here's the one I'm using with my K702 for now. It's good and cheap:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC31-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:

Same here. I went from just liking the K702 to loving it when I switched from the Asgard to the E9. E9 has better synergy with the K702. The HD-600 sound great from the Asgard though. If that wasn't bad enough I just bought another amp to drive both my HD-650 and K702 even better. Unfortunately I don't love the HD-650 with the E9.

So far I've never had a cable totally change a headphone's signature. Maybe the KSC75 with a silver cable
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back