Deciding between Custom and Universal IEMs
Apr 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Stay808

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but I have been here and there looking around the forums at a lot of very interesting post.  I recently have decided to buy my first mid-range to high-end IEMs.  I have read numerous post on the forums which state that the quality of custom IEMs in most cases are overall superior to universal IEMS.  The thing that worries me the most when stepping into the custom zone, is that from my understanding, they are either made up of hard acrylic plastic or silicon.  In the past, I did have problems with plastic earbuds such as the apple ones, which hurt my ears and caused infection in my ear.  So, after that being said, now I move on to the silicon, this will fix the problem with the hard plastic, but I have read that over time the silicon will turn a nasty yellow color and you can't replace the silicon like a tip.  As for the Universal IEMs, after reading multiple post, I have heard a lot of debate over which one is better and so forth, but my biggest question is how the high end universals compare to the custom IEMs?  Also I have narrowed my list to what seems like the most popular universal IEMs and Customs I am interested in, but other opinions are welcome! .  Also, I was wondering with the IEMs I am interested in below, will they sound ok, just plugged into some apple product, such as a iphone/itouch/nano? As for a price range, I am thinking around the $200-$500 range and I listen to most genre of music, besides, heavy metal, jazz, and classical music.

Universals:

Sennheiser IE8
Shure 535
Westone 4

Customs:

jh5 pro
1964-Q
UM Merlins ( I know this just came out, and is a bit above my price range, but I was wondering how would they compare to the other 2 customs I have listed)

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 15
Yes, they'll be fine paired with a apple product. There's better sources out there but a lot of people use iPods etc...
I can also very well relate to your irritation issue with earbuds. I can't even keep them in my ears if I tilt my head!

and what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 15
As I listen to practically all types of music besides the genres I mentions above, so I guess there isn't a specific signature I am looking for.  Maybe something thats all around well balanced?

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Have you tried any other IEM's besides apple buds?

I say go for a universal IEM first. This way you can figure out what kind of sound signature you like and if you don't like the IEM's then you can return them or sell them. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 15
+2 on WisdomListens comment. Another consideration, if you've had ear infection issues, customs may not be a good choice for you because the insertion is pretty deep.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Have you tried any other IEM's besides apple buds?

I say go for a universal IEM first. This way you can figure out what kind of sound signature you like and if you don't like the IEM's then you can return them or sell them. 

The only other type of IEM I have ever had besides apples, were probably the bose ones.  As for apple, I think the main reason I got the infection was the fact that I would wear them for long hours and constantly take them off and put them back on and the apple iems were so cheaply made, that the edge of the ear insertion was a bit rough.  So I was wondering would customs have that problem, of sharp or rough edges, and how do they if you have them on for long hours at a time?

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Ok, I thought the infection came from a fungus or something within the ear cavity. I think some moisture can build up behind the iem, but probably  nothing to worry about if you're not prone to that sort of infection.  I've left my customs in for  maybe four hours at a stretch with no trouble at all. Mine don't have any sharp edges and I haven't heard of anyone having that sort of problem from any of the customs manufacturers. I was following a number of customs threads before I bought mine.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Ok, I thought the infection came from a fungus or something within the ear cavity. I think some moisture can build up behind the iem, but probably  nothing to worry about if you're not prone to that sort of infection.  I've left my customs in for  maybe four hours at a stretch with no trouble at all. Mine don't have any sharp edges and I haven't heard of anyone having that sort of problem from any of the customs manufacturers. I was following a number of customs threads before I bought mine.

yea, it wasn't due to some fungus or anything, just a open cut i guess which i got from the apple iems edges, so with that being said, any recommendations for iems? custom/universals? or any thoughts about the ones which I currently have listed down?

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Have you tried the Klipsch X10i ? Amongst the universial IEM's they're considered to be the most comfortable ones. I've also stayed away from IEM because of the irritation issue you mention, the Klipsch IEM are the only ones I can use for a period over half an hour. I've used my X10 for as long as five hours without any issues. They are easy to find at bargain prices at the moment...

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Have you tried the Klipsch X10i ? Amongst the universial IEM's they're considered to be the most comfortable ones. I've also stayed away from IEM because of the irritation issue you mention, the Klipsch IEM are the only ones I can use for a period over half an hour. I've used my X10 for as long as five hours without any issues. They are easy to find at bargain prices at the moment...

no I haven't, but I will go check them out, but as for sound quality, how are they?

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Take a look at joker's IEM review thread there's LOTS of reviews there!

and also when you're talking about "top tier" IEMs it all comes down to splitting hairs and personal preference with cost meaning almost nothing.
 I'd ay read some reviews and pick a IEM that you feel would fit your sound preference.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 15
no I haven't, but I will go check them out, but as for sound quality, how are they?

I'm no good at describing SQ, do a search there's plenty of good reviews both in this forum and elsewhere :wink: But to put it in a few words: they are a top tier IEM, among the best out there for reasonable money...

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 15
Here are my thoughts:
- All three of the universals you listed have different sound signatures: IE8 is warm and spacious, SE535 is mid-forward and on the darker side (well, the 530 is and they are supposedly close, and the W4 has a nice balance, but is on the warmer side.
- Going universal first to try to figure out your preferred sound signature isn't a bad way to go, however custom IEMs (at least the ones I have heard) sound appreciably better than universals making whatever sound signature they have sound better.  While I have my preferred sound signatures, I don't have any problems with sound signatures of my customs, well, with one exception - the EP-10 Plus which is way too warm.
- If you listen to a wide range of genres, customs will more than likely be a better bet for you since they are, IMO, better technically so they do more better, making them better all around.
- My acrylic shelled customs are extremely comfortable and I have no problem with them since they are customized to my ears.Of course, silicone is very comfortable as well and I am so glad I no longer have to deal with ear tips.  Acrylic is easier to insert and remove, silicone isolates more.  I have worn both silicone and acrylic for long periods of time day after day, however my silicone customs need to be sent for a refit, so I they aren't the most comfortable but they sound so good I don't want to take them out, even with the discomfort!
- There are many lower cost customs that I will be reviewing in the $500 range including the Thousand Sound dynamic/BA hybrid, Minerva Mi-3 and have reviewed a few others at this point.
- You can read my custom IEM resource thread here to get more information.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Take a look at joker's IEM review thread there's LOTS of reviews there!

and also when you're talking about "top tier" IEMs it all comes down to splitting hairs and personal preference with cost meaning almost nothing.
 I'd ay read some reviews and pick a IEM that you feel would fit your sound preference.

Thanks:D I did take a look at joker's IEM reviews, thats where I started falling in love with the 1964-Q's

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Here are my thoughts:
- All three of the universals you listed have different sound signatures: IE8 is warm and spacious, SE535 is mid-forward and on the darker side (well, the 530 is and they are supposedly close, and the W4 has a nice balance, but is on the warmer side.
- Going universal first to try to figure out your preferred sound signature isn't a bad way to go, however custom IEMs (at least the ones I have heard) sound appreciably better than universals making whatever sound signature they have sound better.  While I have my preferred sound signatures, I don't have any problems with sound signatures of my customs, well, with one exception - the EP-10 Plus which is way too warm.
- If you listen to a wide range of genres, customs will more than likely be a better bet for you since they are, IMO, better technically so they do more better, making them better all around.
- My acrylic shelled customs are extremely comfortable and I have no problem with them since they are customized to my ears.Of course, silicone is very comfortable as well and I am so glad I no longer have to deal with ear tips.  Acrylic is easier to insert and remove, silicone isolates more.  I have worn both silicone and acrylic for long periods of time day after day, however my silicone customs need to be sent for a refit, so I they aren't the most comfortable but they sound so good I don't want to take them out, even with the discomfort!
- There are many lower cost customs that I will be reviewing in the $500 range including the Thousand Sound dynamic/BA hybrid, Minerva Mi-3 and have reviewed a few others at this point.
- You can read my custom IEM resource thread here to get more information.

Thanks for the input! I'll be looking forward to your reviews, but after all that has been said, I am leaning towards the custom side, but all other input is welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back