Decided to go against the odds, just ordered the W1000!
Jul 19, 2005 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Well that’s it now, no turning back, I pressed the order button on the W1000. It is quite a risk because there are plenty of not so good comments for this headphone here on head-fi but after reading for a month and trying out a lot of different stuff I finally took the decision to take a risk on them. There is a 15 day return policy but it’s a bit steep, shipping plus 15% restocking so I hope I took the right decision.

I currently have an old Beyer DT511. With my tube amp it is quite good and was not left in the dust at all when I brought it with me in various stores. I tried it against the Senn HD600, Beyer DT880, Stax 2020, Grado 325, Sony 9609, Beyer DT660, AKG K271.

To my taste, the Stax are in another league but are so badly constructed that I decided to pass on them, their plastic construction is creaking whenever you move. My second choice for sound quality and comfort, the DT880 but not by much over the K271. I had finally bought the K271 because I wanted a closed can to isolate a bit from external noise but returned those 2 days later because of a comfort issue, they were touching my ears and it was annoying after 30-40 minutes.

From the start of my search the W1000 had always been the ones I was interested in but I was not ordering them mostly because of a lot of mixed comments here and the fact that I had no way to try them. On paper, what I like about them is the fact that they provide a certain level of noise isolation, they don’t necessarily need an amp to get decent sound and when I read the review on 6moons, they seem to have the exact sound I’m looking for, lush voices, no aggressive highs and a decent refined bass.

So now the waiting starts and hopefully I’ll be a happy camper in a few days.

Cheers.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 16
I hope it works out and you like the cans. Alot of people diss them but quite a few people seem to reall enjoy them, its all down to taste in the end.

BTW, dont forget to post tonnes of pictures of them when they arrive and do a nice review comparing them to your other cans sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
Post your opinions of them once you get them. I had my eye on them because I can't seem to get my hands on a pair of W100's. I am trying to decide if I should just get the L3000's.

-Alex-

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 16
Sure I'll post my opinion, and photos!
biggrin.gif

As for W100-W1000-L3000, well the last one can't really be compared, it's in a totally different price class, if it is comparable then you get really ripped off when you buy it! I can't afford that kind of price for a headphone so I will be very happy if the W1000 are comparable to the HD650-DT880-K271. If they are nicer, to my taste, then the DT880 then I will be delighted because those are the ones I like best in the "affordable" headphone market...

Thanks for your comments.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 16
Congratulations, the W1000s are one fine pair of headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Post your opinions of them once you get them. I had my eye on them because I can't seem to get my hands on a pair of W100's. I am trying to decide if I should just get the L3000's.

-Alex-

I have actually upgraded a couple of years ago from W100 to W1000. I had both for a couple of weeks and I found the W1000 to be much of an improvement in varies areas with overall signature being very similar.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
I have actually upgraded a couple of years ago from W100 to W1000. I had both for a couple of weeks and I found the W1000 to be much of an improvement in varies areas with overall signature being very similar.

Very interested. Please PM me with more info on differences about the 2.

Thanks,
Alex

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 16
I bet that you'll be happy. The W1000 used to be a flavor of the month. And they are really pretty too!

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 16
It's interesting that you liked the DT880 and K271S. I didn't like the K271S, preferring the DT880 and also HD600 by a wide margin.

I also think the K501 is more similar to the DT880 than the K271S.

I've never heard (or seen in person) any of the woodie Audio-Technicas and will be looking forward to reading your review.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 16
Elephas, I can see why you find it interesting that I liked K271S and DT880 because they are relatively different. As I said, I had bought the K271S mostly because it was a closed can and it was satisfied with the SQ, specially the mids. If the DT880 had been closed, I would have gone for those instead. I found the SQ of the HD600 a tiny bit nicer than my old Beyer DT511 but the soundstage/headstage was really not as good as my old ones so that's why I'm saying the Senns were not my prefered model. Didn't test the HD650.

If the W1000 have a headstage/soundstage equal/close or better than my old DT511 plus more refined/forward mids, ala K271, good details, ala DT880 without being aggressive and ssssibilant then I'm a happy camper! I'm not looking at being completely amazed by their performance, they are all headphones that are worth less then $500. I always find it funny when people "exagerate" the differences between models like hd650-hd600-dt880-k501-k271-w100-w1000. Sure there will be differences, specially with a good source and real CDs, but it's more a matter of which is a better fit for your taste.

I'll let you know how it goes when they finally get here, it's only one night and I'm becoming impatient! hahaha

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
It's interesting that you liked the DT880 and K271S. I didn't like the K271S, preferring the DT880 and also HD600 by a wide margin.

I also think the K501 is more similar to the DT880 than the K271S.

I've never heard (or seen in person) any of the woodie Audio-Technicas and will be looking forward to reading your review.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
To my taste, the Stax are in another league but are so badly constructed that I decided to pass on them, their plastic construction is creaking whenever you move.

The Stax "creak" can be cured by a tiny drop of lubricant (such as 3-in-1 oil) where the plastic headband grips the earpiece (making sure that this get nowhere near the driver!). You'll never hear a creak after that.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Very interested. Please PM me with more info on differences about the 2.

Thanks,
Alex

That was a couple of years back but from what I can remember the W1000 was more refined. The mids were not as warm and lush as the W100s or perhaps they were more in balance with the lows and highs which were improved. The headphone seemed more balanced over the spectrum. This was mainly with progressive rock and classical music as I never really used it for metal or electronic genres. These are Woody's and closed so the sound stage is not as wide and open and airy as Grado or Beyer 880s. Its a very deferent headphone with very deferent sound. Its great with wooden instruments but brass tends to loose its sparkle and excitement a bit. I really enjoy it with Pink Floyd and as this is one of the bands I listen to allot, I decided to keep them just for it
smily_headphones1.gif
I listen to allot of psychedelic and goa trance, down beat, 70s rock and metal and if I was to choose one pair of headphones then the W1000 definitely would not be it for this type of music (Grado HP2 does it for me) but its a very fine and capable headphone with a very distinctive warmth / lush sound that I really enjoy and a nice piece in the collection even if it spends allot of time not being used at all.

They are also very beautiful and expensive looking. Very nicely designed with high attention to detail.

It greatly depends on what type of music you will use it for, your preferences and what the rest of the setup will be. Just like with any audio gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Averse
I would like to hear how they compare to 880s as far as comfort and sound.
Thanks.
icon10.gif

I wonder as well, I have both but never did a direct compare between the two. I will need to try to check today if time allows. The 880s are open and W1000s are closed and wood. The comfort is good for both but I think the W1000s are more softly padded and feels more comfortable to me but being closed tends to get warm because of the artificial material but you should be able to get real leather pads for the W2002 for $50 which would greatly improve the warmth and comfort issue
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back