Decided to give the guitar a second try. Any tips?
Jul 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ramen1020

New Head-Fier
So I'm starting to realize that I won't be able to take my drums to college with me, and have decided that I might as well jump on the chance to learn guitar. I already have a lot of knowledge about music (i'm 1st snare in my school's drumline) but don't know much about scales, flat/sharp notes, etc. 

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice for me as I start my journey, whether it be technique, reading, whatever. 

Also, what would be a good guitar/amp combo for blues/jazz/punk/some technical rock? I'm not sure what my budget is, because I have about a year to save up. 

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Despite the endless ads, Ultimate-Guitar is a good site to start with... look up some of your favourite songs, learn some basic chord shapes, and you're good to go. 8notes.com is useful to look up chord diagrams as well. And whatever guitar you get, invest in a capo. Have fun!

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Have fun with it and don't get discouraged.  Listen to as many solo guitarists as you can for inspiration and technique.  

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 8
I think you already know this, but the key with learning a musical instrument is to first acknowledge that it will require a long-term commitment before you start seeing good results. When I first tried learning guitar, I got discouraged early on and eventually gave it up. Learning an instrument is like anything else worth doing - it takes time and effort to see results.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Some friends learned watching youtube video lessons. Its a great source for guitar learning. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I think you already know this, but the key with learning a musical instrument is to first acknowledge that it will require a long-term commitment before you start seeing good results. When I first tried learning guitar, I got discouraged early on and eventually gave it up. Learning an instrument is like anything else worth doing - it takes time and effort to see results.

Definitely something I've considered. This is probably the reason i gave up on guitar the 1st time, but i've definitely learned since then. 

Quote:
Some friends learned watching youtube video lessons. Its a great source for guitar learning. 

Youtube is actually how i learned the bulk of my drumming. Good to know their are some good guitar instructors on youtube too. 

Thanks everyone with the advice, I'm already seeing a little bit of improvement. Just need to keep working on reading sheet music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back