Decent surround sound and music using tiny speakers?
Oct 5, 2002 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Let me ask you, Dear Breeder, in a frank and vigorous manner: D'you feel there might be such a thing as an inconsequentially-sized-but-listenable speaker system for the bedroom? If there exists such a specimen, would you dub it the KHT 2005, Aego P5 or Axiom Micro? If not, then what, pray cvnt, might be its Xtian name?

To be honest, I weary of not hearing decent sound with my bedroom DVD setup. I seek to remedy this moo-cvnting state of affairs. You see, mein girdle, I've already got a hi-fi/musician setup in my living room and my bedroom's too unvirile to allow for full-sized speakers. What, in the name of Hank, might you recommend?

I'm toying with picking up either the aego p5, the KHT 2005 or the Axiom micro system. Then there's a new set of speakers made by Onix, due in November, which might be the best of the lot: The ELT line (Extremely Luscious Home Theater), which will use the same drivers as their audiophile Rocket line and will cost $895 from AV123.com. It will be purchasable with a stand-alone receiver/DVD player which I won't be getting but which sounds amazing: the DVCeiver, which features real 60w x 5, Dolby Digital, DTS, DPLII, Tuner and DVD player for $299.

BTW: I just found the factory sealed KHT 2005 for $1000. Should I buy it or not? *You* ought to know. After all, I'm told you're a special kind of man.

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Just returned from Harvey Electronics, where I listened to the 2005s. While they were fine for surround sound, they sounded like congealed foreskin when it came to classical music. The source was a Marantz DVD player and receiver -- I can't recall the model number. I had a similar experience with the Aego P5 system last week -- hi-fi moil notwithstanding.

Then I listened to the Linn Uniks and Afekt subwoofer. The difference was fearfully pronounced: the Linns are far better speakers than the KHTs. (Best of all were Thiel Powerpoints -- even celli and double basses sounded peppy -- but they (the speakers) are far too much money for me to consider for a second and dinkier setup.)

Which means I'll probably be getting the Onix ELT speakers (with a 30-day trial) or the Linns, if I can afford them, i'poot.

What say you, silent masses of hulking bottoms'-breath? Are there any other speakers I should audition this coming mammary day? Is anyone there or have I died and posted a message that can only be read by other floating aetheric spirits? Is this Carnival of Souls? Am I a blonde with questionable acting chops? And for the love of God, man, why have they lied about your special qualifications? I require lilting sotto voce talk to be satisfied in this way. Ritz cracker, anyone?

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 15
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Hey, big guy, let's stay away from the "congealed foreskin" analogies and maybe you'll get more replies, eh?
kerely

Ah, but the irony is this: I received my only replies after adding that line. Therefore one must deduce that my humor is more popular than my previous and aforementioned earnest G-rated delivery, dearest What Up Yo.

Deplorable isn't it, that humanity should favor felicitous but unpleasantly viscous verbal sallies? And yet I must seek answers where're I may find 'em, be it beloved cesspool or bless-ed citadel.

But do stop by again. I've been known to concoct for my guests a tangy muskrat fig apertif that hits the right spot (or whatever you'd like me to call it, you feisty number).

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
You may want to investigate the nOrh range of speakers. . . . The 3.0's range from $150/pair in various kinds of wood, to $350/pair in solid marble.
http://www.norh.com/products/norh3/index.html

Thanks tons, Wodge. I do appreciate the anomalous input. And speaking of tons:

Prob is, that one-fifty job looks rather like a fresh slab of ham. And while the marble deal does win over my tombstone temperament, it appears a wee tad heavy for a bookshelf, wouldn't you say? Now, if I owned a house, those nOrs might be just the thing.

Still, the marble *would* go with my black sheets, framed butterflies and marble hieroglyphics and so forth (I'm really not kidding). Thing is, they'd have to sound better than the Aego P5 and the KHT 2005. Would you say they do?

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 15
You might also want to look at ...oh, what were their names, again...Anthony Gallo Acoustics speakers and maybe a sub from Sunfire or some such...

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Still, the marble *would* go with my black sheets, framed butterflies and marble hieroglyphics and so forth (I'm really not kidding). Thing is, they'd have to sound better than the Aego P5 and the KHT 2005. Would you say they do?

I haven't heard either of the speakers you mention, but I can make some general comments. I really like the sound of single-driver, crossoverless speakers. I don't think many people would disagree that this kind of speaker has a very coherent, natural sound, with perhaps the best imaging you can get from any kind of speaker. On the other hand, they're only practical for small rooms, and for solid, very deep bass response you may need a subwoofer. But if a small room speaker is what you're looking for, I'd suggest at least auditioning one crossoverless speaker. You might like what you hear.

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 15
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 11, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Hey, big guy, let's stay away from the "congealed foreskin" analogies and maybe you'll get more replies, eh?

i thought that line was quite hysterical. i would comment, but i know absolutely nothing about speakers and home theatre.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i thought that line was quite hysterical. i would comment, but i know absolutely nothing about speakers and home theatre.
biggrin.gif

And the thing is, the simile to which you so tastefully refer opens up a veritable Pandora's Hidden Toolkit of inspiring anatomical analogies. Why, just today I was pricing NAD Home Theater Thythtemth when I wondered if the 2005s might prove appropriately shaped speakers (with on-topic foreskin-tight bass! "Johnny pants down? Slow, Johnny . . . deep, Johnny. . . ." -- William Burroughs, respected professional author who's written real books that got published and everything! Neat!) for a NAD system (speaking in audiolingus-visible-manhood terms (after all, those speakers are, how-you-say, Mister Viscous, *ovaline*?)).

You know, this is completely OT, but I feel the need to say it. The next time I'm entertaining a daintyfriend in the boudoir, I feel it will be my duty to behave in an appropriately manly fashion -- *until* the point of my greatest pleasure, at which time I shall yell N-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-AT! at the top o' my voice. (Now *that* should win me a second heavy-petting session with Lana at the Victor Mature Film Festival, Biff.)

Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
I haven't heard either of the speakers you mention, but I can make some general comments. I really like the sound of single-driver, crossoverless speakers. I don't think many people would disagree that this kind of speaker has a very coherent, natural sound, with perhaps the best imaging you can get from any kind of speaker. On the other hand, they're only practical for small rooms, and for solid, very deep bass response you may need a subwoofer. But if a small room speaker is what you're looking for, I'd suggest at least auditioning one crossoverless speaker. You might like what you hear

And so I shall audition them soon and inquire about single-driver speakers sans crossover, for empiricism is the veritable ticket to eine kleine hedmusik heaven. Funky Porcini would approve.

Thanks, Wodge. I'll let you know what I discover. I'll also relay what engineer cronies say about your suggestion as well. I have no Hanking idea what they'll think.

Strapping Young Master Bloggs:

Damn you to Hades for pointing out that link. Now I'm going to twitch with envy even iff'n I procure the Linn Classik Movie system complete with Uniks.

The whole idea of being able to project music from any angle is rather intriging, don't you concur? Of course, if I believed REAL AUTHOR OF REAL BOOKS WHO ALSO USES THE WORD FORESKIN, William Gibson, I'd say it's a matter of inserting the right chip in the festive pulsating gray matter. Just think -- endless potential for in-cerebellum mediocrity: "The Bose Personal Concert Hall Chip -- cheese so intimate you'll never be able to hose it out of your skull."

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 15
Actually, I believe the Anthony Gallo's are pretty expensive, so they may not suit a budget, either. I also believe they are single driver. Could be wrong about that, though.

As for the single speaker surround sound -- I'll believe it when I ...erm... hear it. Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Of course, if I believed REAL AUTHOR OF REAL BOOKS WHO ALSO USES THE WORD FORESKIN, William Gibson...

(scratches head) He did?

Oct 12, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Dusty Chalk ululated: ". . . Anthony Gallo's are pretty expensive, so they may not suit a budget, either. I also believe they are single driver. Could be wrong about that, though. As for the single speaker surround sound -- I'll believe it when I ...erm... hear it."

Yes, Gallos are past my budget and, from what I've read, not better than 2005s. If I were going the expensive route, I'd snatch the Linn Classik Movie setup.

Dusty Chalk ululated: "(scratches head) He [Gibson] did?"

Yes, he did and does today, no doubt!

Of course I was being facetious, but you're asking about a writer with whom I've gone to parties and whom an ex-best friend claims to have "discovered" (I'd prefer to use the word *inspired*). This is ancient history that dates me and which no one would respect at this point, but I'll tell you about it anyway -- after all, it's 7:16 in the morning.

If you peruse a book called _Storming the Reality Studio_ edited by Larry McCaffery (and in which I appear), you'll find an interview with Gibson that proves my ex-friend's claim isn't hype (nor is my foreskin claim, as you'll see soon). In said int, Gibson describes his first encounter with my ex-friend and the career decision the event induced him to make.

About the foreskin comment: Gibson and my ex-acquaintance collaborated on a story called "The Belonging Kind." My e-a, who tends to feature unpleasant sex in virtually every story, didn't make an exception in this case: His protagonists always fraternize with repellent predators and urchins who are gifted with hypnotic powers of attraction.

I do recall hearing of a conversation between the two writers that involved the very word. I believe it pertained to a Jewish woman, whom my hayseed Goyim friend spent his off-hours worshiping Night-Porter style, and her resemblance to a woman sitting at the bar in the story (though I haven't read it in years).

Since my ex-friend tends to live in the world he writes about (hence our past-tense friendship), I'm certain the word came up in constant conversations with Gibson as well.

And just to veer further off-topic, a morsel of recollection:

About G's appearance: He seemed inclined to wear funky suits that could have engendered the Paul Smith empire, light-colored tortoise shell frames and wavy Shelley-length hair. (I also noticed with some irritation that he was nearly a foot taller than I.) He had the self-assurance, fair complexion and bland good looks that certain white folk among that time's glitterati learned to, how-you-say, milk. Yet he gave the impression of never doing so himself.

Gibson is probably the most *tactful* writer I've ever met. He has a gift for staying out of damaging controversies, never bickering with anyone and making random cocktail acquaintances feel themselves to be at the epicenter of subversive fun. He didn't stand out like so many other writers I've met; he wasn't an obstreperous raconteur; he seemed open and almost passive but wasn't boring either. I remember going to a New York club with a group of people that included him; he seemed to take in everything he needed and, after we left, systematized the various fashion/music/slang/behavioral tendencies he'd noticed inside. I'd always assumed Gibson was a Roland Barthes fan, but I hadn't known he was a full-time semiotician.

But that was a long time ago and I haven't read him for fifteen years. I don't hate his writing the way I do so many who emerged from that time. Even so, I'm not certain he holds up. English professors loved the opening of Neuromancer because it reminded them of Eliot's metaphor in Prufrock. I wonder if they'd feel that way now?

Back on-topic:

Does anyone know of a store in NYC that carries the nOrh speakers? I'd like to listen before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back