Decent headphones that REALLY last?
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

placeholder

New Head-Fier
Hello,

My problem is that I brake headphones very easily. I have had bunch of Sennheiser HD-595, HD-550, Grado SR-60 and Koss Porta pro  headphones and they usually last 1-2 years. Recently I just broke the frame from my HD-590 and the repair shop told me to send them in. Well, apparently they are not willing to repair them because the damage doesn't match their criteria for repair, whatever that is. Now I have tried to contact them to send them back for self-fix but they are not answering. This was kind of the last straw for me and I'm sick and tired of buying new headphones. You might say that maybe I should treat my headphones more carefully? In principle that's a good advice but I know I can't change my habits permanently. I'm a clumsy person, period.

So I'm wondering if there is anything that is really made to last? So far I have really liked my Grado's soundwise and the frame is simple and durable (probably because the frame is so light the impact is so small when dropped) but the cords get twisted all the time. I don't get why they made the ear pieces rotatable?

I demand my headphones to be drop-proof and have very durable cords. Are there any headphones like that and still be sound-wise about in the range of Grado SR-60?

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 18
Its an easy one, Sennheiser hd 25 1 practically indestructible and if you do damage them, I can see you have natural skill
evil_smiley.gif
, you can buy every single part separately. Sound is balanced, punchy, darker and in your face, very fun to listen.

Because of their build quality, isolation and their good sound it is 'phone is mostly used by DJs.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
Its an easy one, Sennheiser hd 25 1 practically indestructible and if you do damage them, I can see you have natural skill
evil_smiley.gif
, you can buy every single part separately. Sound is balanced, punchy, darker and in your face, very fun to listen.

Because of their build quality, isolation and their good sound it is 'phone is mostly used by DJs.

loopfreak is right on.
hd25-1 ii.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 18
HD-25 really? I don't have experience with them but just looking at the pictures they don't look particularly durable. So would you say they are way more durable than say  HD-595? Can you buy the frames and ear pieces separately? What quality is the cord, is it detachable? I might have to investigate these headphones more.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 18
At least the Sennheisers and the Grados are not known for their durability, so you're not being too careless (hopefully).

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is probably their most durable model, but its sound signature is very different from your Grados.

Beyerdynamic makes great headphones that last, such as the DT 770/880/990, and especially the DT 48 & DT 150 models, but none of those really get close to Grado's sound signature, though the more enjoyable headphones among those beyers are the DT 770/990 & 150, as opposed to the more neutral signatures of the 880 & 48.

I haven't heard any of the GermanMAESTRO headphones, but from what I've read, they are very durable and some models do get great reviews on this forum; though again, I don't think any of them will reproduce sound like your Grados.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
HD-25 really? I don't have experience with them but just looking at the pictures they don't look particularly durable. So would you say they are way more durable than say  HD-595? Can you buy the frames and ear pieces separately? What quality is the cord, is it detachable? I might have to investigate these headphones more.

yes the cord is detachable, and can be upgraded easily. I feel like these cans are built like a tank, offcurse there are more durabel cans out there but do they need too survive a war?

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 18
You can take it apart into individual pieces and wires in 5 minutes with some screwdrivers. And yeah AFAIK it's extremely durable (you know, it uses some of those very high-grade thick plastics that have lots of tensile strength and scratch-resistance). Another attribute is that it is LIGHT, which means accidental drops to hard floors do nothing to it.

Quote:

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 18
HD25s are immortal. Even if you kill bits of it, it won't die.. :) Don't be fooled by how they look, they're rock-solid cans. Plus, they're great for rock and metal, if you're into that sort of stuff. Excellent cans.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 18
I heard somewhere that a whole studio burned down the only thing that survived was the Hd 25, the housing was damaged but the driver was still working.
I dont know how true this story is but if it have some truth in it then it is simply amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back