Decent headphones for work, <$100
Mar 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
My mom is looking to get some headphones to wear at work, and seeing as how her initial impluse was "I know Sony makes great stuff, let's go to best buy and check", I figured I would try to help her out. She mostly listens to alternative rock, stuff like new Muse and Three Days Grace. She wants them to be small, sound good, and comfortable.

The big thing is that she does NOT want something that just goes in or on her ears (for example the Koss KSC75 would not work) because her hair would cover them, and she wants it to be clearly visible she's using headphones so people will think twice about bothering her.

Any recommendations? She might also use these in other situations, which is why they need to be relatively small and portable and yet still visible.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 17
If you want light and portable then go with the ES-7's. Fits all you needs and is shiny!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want light and portable then go with the ES-7's. Fits all you needs and is shiny!
bigsmile_face.gif

These are actually what I was already looking into before I made this post, but I just wanted to see what others opinions are. If anybody has experience, are the ES-7's comfortable? Like, -really- comfortable? My mom seems to be pretty sensitive about these kinds of things.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 17
If you want visible, try the Super.Fi 5 Pro and wear them the normal way, they stick straight out and would surely be visible.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 17
The ATH-ES7 are impossibly uncomfortable, at least when stock. They can be corrected somewhat by bending the headband outward at the shoulders but even modded they are still not quite up there with many others. If I were you I'd look at the Creative Aurvana Live ($55 at Costco). They are related to the well-known Denon D1001k and offer a whole lot of bang for your buck. Plus they are extremely comfy.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH-ES7 are impossibly uncomfortable, at least when stock. They can be corrected somewhat by bending the headband outward at the shoulders but even modded they are still not quite up there with many others. If I were you I'd look at the Creative Aurvana Live ($55 at Costco). They are related to the well-known Denon D1001k and offer a whole lot of bang for your buck. Plus they are extremely comfy.

That's exactly what I was worried about looking at them, thanks a lot for the recommendation. I also went to your portable headphone review in your signature, I think this should help me find something.

The Creative Aurvana Live look fantastic (I kind of want a pair..), but they might be a bit big for my mom. I think I'll take a trip down to cosco and see how big they are for myself, but they look a little bulky for her tastes.

On the other hand the Sennheiser PX200-II's from your review look like they might work. A bit lame in appearance, but they would certainly be small enough for her and you gave it a great comfort rating. The only thing I'm concerned about is noise leakage, but her office isn't extremely tight/crowded so they might work out.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 17
Mar 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 17
another vote for the ATH-ES7, I really don't see how they're so uncomfortable to others. I guess they could use velvet instead for leatherette. But they really did seem fine for me for 40 minutes.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Creative Aurvana Live look fantastic (I kind of want a pair..), but they might be a bit big for my mom. I think I'll take a trip down to cosco and see how big they are for myself, but they look a little bulky for her tastes.

On the other hand the Sennheiser PX200-II's from your review look like they might work. A bit lame in appearance, but they would certainly be small enough for her and you gave it a great comfort rating. The only thing I'm concerned about is noise leakage, but her office isn't extremely tight/crowded so they might work out.

The PX200-II is very small but yes, they should work. Not as comfortable as the CAL!s, of course (but more so than the ES7s), and not as visible. If you're looking at supraaurals the Denon P372 might work as well and are a lot cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for the ATH-ES7, I really don't see how they're so uncomfortable to others. I guess they could use velvet instead for leatherette. But they really did seem fine for me for 40 minutes.

They seem fine for 40 mins to me too. But I wear my headphones for 2-3 hours at a time pretty often and after doing that with the ES7 I can't feel my ears.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 17
Ultrasone HFI450, Bose On ear.........

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX200-II is very small but yes, they should work. Not as comfortable as the CAL!s, of course (but more so than the ES7s), and not as visible. If you're looking at supraaurals the Denon P372 might work as well and are a lot cheaper.

They seem fine for 40 mins to me too. But I wear my headphones for 2-3 hours at a time pretty often and after doing that with the ES7 I can't feel my ears.

Yeah, the PX200 are certainly tiny but I think having a band on top of the head should make them visible enough. That said, you're right the Denon P372 look like a better fit and will certainly be easier on the wallet.

I'm going to show my mom both those and the Creative Aurvana as they both seem like great choices. You really do make great recommendations, spot on, thanks a lot.

Also, I could wear just about any headphone for 40 minutes. That's hardly any time, comfort factors in more after 3 hours or so when your ears really start to feel it (and my mom will certainly be wearing these for hours).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back